Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline klarinettmeister  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2010 12:57:03(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Hi!

I couldn´t write in the old topic so I started a new.

I´ve got an offer on an 37500! It´s propably in a almost mint condition. It´s a friend of mine who´s gonna sell it.

734 Euro. Should i take it?? Is it good price or normal price?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2010 13:04:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi David,

These trains are not that easy to find, and always go for a high price.

If you can afford it, and you can't find a cheaper one, then I would say go for it!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2010 13:13:12(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
RayPayas wrote:
Hi David,

These trains are not that easy to find, and always go for a high price.

If you can afford it, and you can't find a cheaper one, then I would say go for it!

Thanks Ray! I guessed so. I saw a bid on Ebay that was won for alot less. But on the other hand as I said it´s a friend of mine and I bought the CZ (520 Euro) and the Amtrak ICE (400 Euro) at really good prices from him. And also it seems that a Northlander is everyone´s dream. I can get it today because he lives 10 minutes away from me! Walking distance. And I have the money.
BigGrin
I´m also thinking about the 37624 which I bought costed almost 600 Euros!

This will be an expansive year even though I´ve got no work...
Well. I can look at it this way also:

I bought my new SONY Vaio as a early birthday present for my 30th birthday in one month and the Northlander will be my early christmas present.
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2010 13:21:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have see some on ebay price up to 999 Euro.

Go for it at good price.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline klinge-germany  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2010 13:22:40(UTC)
klinge-germany

hi david,
the KOLL from 2004 says 900 euro, the KOLL from 2008 says 580 euro. a newer one is not available to me....
any way, enjoy your trains....
alfred...with M since 1960...layout under construction (in mind...)
collecting M items - but not a collector...
editing posts only for tyops...uppps...typos
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2010 13:38:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
klinge-germany wrote:
hi david,
the KOLL from 2004 says 900 euro, the KOLL from 2008 says 580 euro. a newer one is not available to me....
any way, enjoy your trains....

Koll 2009 - 630 euro.

Koll 2011 not in until April 2011.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2010 16:25:43(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thank you all for your quick replies! Now I´ve decided, so here it is! Beatiful train!! Runs nicely.

UserPostedImage

Offline Ranjit  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2010 16:46:13(UTC)
Ranjit

Enjoy your new purchase, David. Nice set!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline Darren W  
#9 Posted : 12 December 2010 18:07:51(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I will admit I'm jealous.Blushing It would be fantastic to own a Northlander set since it is the only Canadian train in the Marklin lineup.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy.BigGrin

Cheers...
Darren
Offline klarinettmeister  
#10 Posted : 12 December 2010 18:38:41(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thanks Ranjit and Darren!
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2010 23:34:29(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
A very Nice addition.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline intruder  
#12 Posted : 13 December 2010 00:50:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Nice set, David. Congratulations!

I bought mine in 1998 for approx. 685 Euro, converted from NOK with today's rate.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 08 March 2013 22:58:04(UTC)  | Reason: Changed picture url

Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline klarinettmeister  
#13 Posted : 13 December 2010 01:51:34(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
intruder wrote:
Nice set, David. Congratulations!

I bought mine in 1998 for approx. 685 Euro, converted from NOK with today's rate.

UserPostedImage

Thanks Svein and Nevw!

One thing I´ve noted is that the lighbulb for the headlights in the control car is to bright. It shines through the plastic in the cab and also the rings for the light beams. I can´t say the pictures justifies this model. It must be seen IRL. If you come to Sweden your welcome to see my collection. I don´t regret buying it. It´s the 7th F7 consist in my collection.
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 13 December 2010 04:26:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
klarinettmeister wrote:
One thing I´ve noted is that the lighbulb for the headlights in the control car is to bright. It shines through the plastic in the cab and also the rings for the light beams. I can´t say the pictures justifies this model. It must be seen IRL. If you come to Sweden your welcome to see my collection. I don´t regret buying it. It´s the 7th F7 consist in my collection.

This has been a known issue with the Maerklin model of the TEE Edelweiss since the 1960s. When we were young, I got a 3050 Ae 6/6 and my brother got the 3071 RAm Edelweiss for our birthdays. The 3071 had a small insert made of black construction paper (or similar) that was inserted between the bulb and the body of the pilot coach. A similar insert also existed for the motor unit. This black insert was required to limit the amount of light that shone through the plastic body of these two units. The body of the motor unit and pilot coach had been moulded in light coloured plastic. The red part of the shell was painted red on the exterior surface. As a result, the plastic itself did not block the light from shining through. I remember seeing an older 3070 on a layout and noted that it did not have the same issue. The plastic was a darker material and this probably prevented the light from leaking through.

This flaw was not corrected in the Northlander model that was released in 1978. That model had blue where the TEE had red and had yellow where the TEE had beige. The yellow paint did not block light from shining through. The problem still existed on the pilot coach of the 1998 37500 Set.

One solution would be to paint the inside of the nose of the pilot coach black or blue. This can be done relatively easily, but you have to ensure that the job is properly done, so that the blackened surface is not silhouetted against the outer shell by light leaking around the edges. It is easier to adjust on more recent digital models with ESU or similar decoders, as the intensity of the lights can be dimmed so that the lights shine but they do not cause a glow through the shell.

My brother still has the 3071. I have the more recent 3471 and have not noticed the problem on that model. Most often, I am using my more recent RailTop/LSM 1:87 model, so the 3471 spends most of it's time in the box these days.

Getting back to the Northlander/RAm, I never saw the trainset up close. I was in Switzerland from July 1971 to July 1972. The famous accident of the TEE Bavaria occurred in February of that year, so the only route that the trainset operated on while I was there was the Edelweiss to Amsterdam. On our trip to Paris, we took the TEE Arbalete, which was made up of SNCF Mistral (56) coaches. The return trip was on the Cisalpin (RAe TEE) via Lausanne. In all of my trips through Zuerich HB that year, I was never there at the time that the trainset was in Station.
I do remember seeing the trainset in Toronto in 1978. As we were riding the elevator down from the CN Tower, I saw the trainset heading east towards Union Station from Bathurst Street. A few years later, the original power units were replaced by modified FP7s. I did see a trainset one more time, stationed just outside Union Station as I arrived in Toronto on a train from Montreal years later.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 06 March 2017 18:18:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline klarinettmeister  
#15 Posted : 13 December 2010 19:47:13(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
mike c wrote:
klarinettmeister wrote:

This has been a known issue with the Maerklin model of the TEE Edelweiss since the 1960s. When we were young, I got a 3050 Ae 6/6 and my brother got the 3071 RAm Edelweiss for our birthdays. The 3071 had a small insert made of black construction paper (or similar) that was inserted between the bulb and the body of the pilot coach. A similar insert also existed for the motor unit. This black insert was required to limit the amount of light that shone through the plastic body of these two units. The body of the motor unit and pilot coach had been moulded in light coloured plastic. The red part of the shell was painted red on the exterior surface. As a result, the plastic itself did not block the light from shining through. I remember seeing an older 3070 on a layout and noted that it did not have the same issue. The plastic was a darker material and this probably prevented the light from leaking through.

This flaw was not corrected in the Northlander model that was released in 1978. That model had blue where the TEE had red and had yellow where the TEE had beige. The yellow paint did not block light from shining through. The problem still existed on the pilot coach of the 1998 37500 Set.

One solution would be to paint the inside of the nose of the pilot coach black or blue. This can be done relatively easily, but you have to ensure that the job is properly done, so that the blackened surface is not silhouetted against the outer shell by light leaking around the edges. It is easier to adjust on more recent digital models with ESU or similar decoders, as the intensity of the lights can be dimmed so that the lights shine but they do not cause a glow through the shell.

My brother still has the 3071. I have the more recent 3471 and have not noticed the problem on that model. Most often, I am using my more recent RailTop/LSM 1:87 model, so the 3471 spends most of it's time in the box these days.

Getting back to the Northlander/RAm, I never saw the trainset up close. I was in Switzerland from July 1971 to July 1972. The famous accident of the TEE Bavaria occurred in February of that year, so the only route that the trainset operated on while I was there was the Edelweiss to Amsterdam. On our trip to Paris, we took the TEE Arbalete, which was made up of SNCF Mistral (59) coaches. The return trip was on the Cisalpin (RAe TEE) via Lausanne. In all of my trips through Zuerich HB that year, I was never there at the time that the trainset was in Station.
I do remember seeing the trainset in Toronto in 1978. As we were riding the elevator down from the CN Tower, I saw the trainset heading east towards Union Station from Bathurst Street. A few years later, the original power units were replaced by modified FP7s. I did see a trainset one more time, stationed just outside Union Station as I arrived in Toronto on a train from Montreal years later.

Regards

Mike C

That sounds as quite an adventure. I´ve never been in Canada, nor USA för that part or anywhere over there but I´d like to go there to do some trainspotting. There´s something with the design that keeps me buying the models of something I haven´t seen IRL. What has happened to the Northlander cars? It´s said in the catalouge that there were some cars left of the Northlander, but that was 1998.

It´s a shame Märklin haven´t done anything about this issue. It destroys the illusion a bit. But I´m not gonna paint or modify this train, maybe change the light bulb. It´s not the only train that has these issues. All the swedish RC-trains also have some problems with the lights. There´s a small gap between the frame and the body where the front light shines through. Märklin have been trying a solution on later models that involves a black sticky cloth under the lightbulb.

I still don´t regret buying it. It´s a beatiful model.
Offline hemau  
#16 Posted : 13 December 2010 22:03:02(UTC)
hemau

klarinettmeister wrote:

What has happened to the Northlander cars? It´s said in the catalouge that there were some cars left of the Northlander, but that was 1998.

See here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/.../Stichting_TEE_Nederland
or google Northlander Zwolle
They are trying to rebuild an original set however a motor car has to be built new since there is no one. They apparently already have some suited motors.BigGrin
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline klarinettmeister  
#17 Posted : 13 December 2010 23:02:54(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
hemau wrote:
klarinettmeister wrote:

What has happened to the Northlander cars? It´s said in the catalouge that there were some cars left of the Northlander, but that was 1998.

See here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/.../Stichting_TEE_Nederland
or google Northlander Zwolle
They are trying to rebuild an original set however a motor car has to be built new since there is no one. They apparently already have some suited motors.BigGrin

Thanks for the info! Why not combining 2 excellent projects for more funds. How about a Northlander (restored) Big Boy?