Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FishTankFishy  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:02:34(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Hi All,
My name is Sachin and I live in Sweden.

I am novice and KNOW NOTHING about this hobby.

Had a bug for train models but had never means and finances in past for looking in that direction. So just watched like curious kid every model train setups I came across.

Well, out of a whim, while browsing Tradera.com (Swedish equivalent of e-bay) I found out model trains section and bought some stuff. Now, as I have no clue what I got and how to make best use of what I have, I need inputs/suggestions.

What I wish to see:
A functional working Model Train Set.

What I have so far:
1) Bought this one off a seller for around 60USD.
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=118335205

I hope you will be able to see this.
Märklin Wagons 4040(Got 4 of them ) + A 2 Axel Engine 3029

As per the seller it is working.

2) Got some HO rails from few sellers. Here is what I got.
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=117987851
12 Rails: 9 Curved and 3 Straight.

3) Some more rails Märklin ones
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=118288426
10 Rails 5106

4) Märklin exchange type rails(Do not know hobby lingo in enlish for this one)
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=118288653
One left turning and one right turning rail as per pic.

So it APPEARS that I have Märklin Loco + Wagons + Rails and missing some juice equipment for running this set.

Question1 )First I have no clue as to what kind of Transformer I must have for this so this it runs and makes child inside me happy. :) Is this enough to make a small functional setup of what I have so far.

kindly help a confused soul.

I have many more questions, but I think for the time being I will keep this long post short.
:)

Warm regards from Windy and Rainy sweden.

Sachin -> A tiny fish in the vast ocean of humanity.

Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:30:38(UTC)
Webmaster

Welcome to the forum, Sachin.

Where in Sweden do you live? Just asking, in case you live close to me...Smile

What you need is a "control unit", in your case a Märklin transformer for analog operation. I looked at Tradera, but only found older "blue" transformers which may or not be unsafe regarding electricity...

Among all the tracks you have bought, are there any tracks with red and brown cables attached to them? These are "feeder tracks" that are used to connect the track to the transformer.

The "exchange rails" are called either switches or turnouts in English railway lingo, depending upon which anglo-speaking country you are in.... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline gachar001  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:31:35(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Welcome to the forum Sachin. I am no expert but here is my opinion. Other members will probably reply to this thread with a lot more info
It appears that you have an analog loco and Marklin M track. The newest versions are Digital locos and Marklin C track.
You will need an older style transformer to control analog locos. I don't have the specifics. The 2 switches you bought may or may not allow you to put in a branch. It depends on the radius of the curved tracks you have.

The easiest way to start off with this hobby is to buy a Marklin Starter set. These sets run anywhere from US$100 for a basic set to US$2000 for a Mega set. You can browse through Lokshop.de or modelleisenbahn.com
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:49:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Sachin,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline FishTankFishy  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:51:47(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Herr Webmaster and Herr gachar001, thanks a ton for quick response.

I live in lovely gothenburg and it would be great if you happen to live nearby.

>>What you need is a "control unit", in your case a Märklin transformer for analog operation. I looked at Tradera, but only found older "blue" transformers.
Yes I see them too but it is maze of lot of things and do not wish to just buy the junk which is useless.
http://www.tradera.com/s...mp;search=transformator+
I am looking here and most are blue ancient looking ones.

Among all the tracks you have bought, are there any tracks with red and brown cables attached to them? These are "feeder tracks" that are used to connect the track to the transformer.
No, it occurred to me a bit later after buying this. I will keep looking for feeder track one else have to be in local hobby shop but do not know if they sell just one of such unit.

One more confusion I have : The blue transforer I saw are having varying voltage levels as well as current levels and I have no clue what is voltage and current input needs for the things I have. Is there any place which can provide this type of information.

I do not wish to see ONE TIME black smoke emerging out of my FIRST locomotive and do not wish to make it my LAST one. :)

gachar001, I should have got one functional starter set first (well, I actually got one from tradera.
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=118316490
Trix Express Starter Set which is on it's way. Might get it tomorrow if I am lucky.

Thanks a lot to both of you. I can focus now on getting proper things.

Thanks Steve.

Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:58:25(UTC)
Webmaster

Hey Gautham, let's help Sachin to get his first evr train running before we introduce him to the vast possibilities of the Digital...

Or confuse/scare him from the hobby...Wink

Sachin, this hobby has evolved a lot since the 50-70:s - including digital & computer controlled operations, sound functions and much more that is "the" standard on model railroads of today...

I think it is refreshing to see a newcomer into the hobby with the traditional basic setup you have acquired, and there are a lot possibilities to expand upon it as time goes by and you will learn a lot from this forum. Just don't be shy to ask.

Forget about "digital" and such right now - first we want to see that first train run, don't we?

BTW, I just love the 4040:s....ThumpUp
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2010 00:07:10(UTC)
Webmaster

FishTankFishy wrote:
Trix Express Starter Set which is on it's way. Might get it tomorrow if I am lucky.

Ouchh.... You shouldn't have bought that one... But it was cheap... Neither tracks nor loco will work with the stuff you have... Wagons can be used, though...

Trix Express is 3-rail DC, not AC as Märklin, so the transformer is useless too for running your existing stuff... Sad

Please ask for advice before you buy, ok? Don't rush into things... Wink
Offline FishTankFishy  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2010 00:09:23(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Thanks guys. If anyone want to confuse me, it need no hard work. I am already in heaven of confusion.

So far I am not throwing towel on this one. I am holding it well.

Does these feeder tracks seems to be allright??
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=118715772

Searching for Input needs for Loco 3029 and what transformer will do the trick.
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2010 00:12:40(UTC)
Webmaster

Those are not feeder tracks, they are uncoupler tracks for which you will need additional equipment...

Please hold your horses and don't buy more until we have got that first train running, ok? Unsure

Please look into your collection of tracks and see if there is one or more with a red and a brown cable attached to it...
Offline FishTankFishy  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2010 00:28:13(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Yes, I will hold horses. No point in blowing hard earned money on stuff that is utter useless.

I do not have feeder tracks that you mentioned. Will wait and see when I get all the stuff I have bought so far.

In meantime if anyone got any clue about what kind of transformer I shall have, it would be great.

Thanks guys.
Offline Ian555  
#11 Posted : 22 September 2010 01:09:55(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Sachin,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.
Offline gachar001  
#12 Posted : 22 September 2010 01:20:33(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Webmaster wrote:
Hey Gautham, let's help Sachin to get his first evr train running before we introduce him to the vast possibilities of the Digital...

Ok.
Now Sachin, There is something called CS2 and there is also computer control. What you need to do is.........Just kidding BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 22 September 2010 01:21:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello Sachin.

You should get a "6647" transformer, I know places in Denmark where you can buy one for 100,- to 125,- Danish kroner.

To that price you will have to add about the same amount of money for shipment.

If you are patient you will find one in Sweden costing the same.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 22 September 2010 01:26:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If we want to keep things simple and get a good start then I would say forget about what you have bought up to now (most can be used at a later date)
Buy a Marklin starter set with an MS2 controller. You will get everything you need to get your train running round the track and therefore understand the basics. Starter sets usually include a booklet with track plans etc which will give future ideas.
Go slowly and with a start set you will have gained most of the information you require and can then come back to the forum here for any advice or comments. Also buy a Marklin catalogue which gives useful information.
Have fun

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Caralain  
#15 Posted : 22 September 2010 02:04:52(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Sachin, welcome to the forum and the hobby

I have taken a few pictures of what you need to start running your trains:

a) a feeder track. You can solder the cables yourself if you want UserPostedImage

b) a transformer as the one shown on these two pictures. In Europe, the voltage is usually between 220V and 240V if I am not mistaken

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

c) You connect the red cable (power) to the socket with the letter B and the brown one (ground)to the socket with the letter O

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

If you need more information, I can scan the instructions manual and send it to your private email.

You can also decide to buy a starter set. In this case, I will recommend to buy one with digital capabilities.

Now enjoy your new hobby.BigGrin

Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Caralain
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 22 September 2010 04:35:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Sachin,
it was recommended that you opt for one of the newer transformers, as they are equipped with safety features and slightly modified voltage tolerances.
You can probably find one on eBay or at a dealer like Lokshop or Schweickhardt in Germany.
Buying a modern Start Set will give you a train, the transformer and some tracks for a very reasonable price.
When I decided to go with the new "C Tracks", I bought a Set with two loks, freight and passenger cars and a digital controller and transformer. I got all of that for the price of the two loks and three coaches alone.
I would recommend that you consider starting by buying the Maerklin catalog. It will give you a general idea of what is available, the model numbers, which will help you when you are shopping, as well as information about how to connect the variouss parts together.
Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the Forum.

Regards from Canada

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 22 September 2010 06:40:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Caralain wrote:
UserPostedImage

c) You connect the red cable (power) to the socket with the letter B and the brown one (ground)to the socket with the letter O

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Sachin, welcome to the forum and the hobby.

As Caralain's picture shows, you can make a feeder track out of any piece of Marklin M (Metal) track.

Firstly, there needs to be a small hole drilled in the side of the track to allow the wires to pass through.

If you turn the track over you will see the silver base of the track, and a black metal bar running down the middle of the track, with a metal tongue at either end. The metal bar/tongue are both ellectrically insulated from the silver base.

To connect the wires, start with the red one, which is connected to the black bar. The best place to do this is just where the metal tongue is connected to the black bar. You can heat it (the tongue) with a soldering iron first and prime it with some solder.

Next, connect the brown wire. This connects to the silver base. Preheat a spot directly underneath a rail, and then when hot enough, apply some solder. You should then be able to attach the brown wire to the solder pad.

If you are not happy with making your own feeder track, look out for a Marklin 5111 feeder track. It is the same length as a piece of straight track (5106) that you will already have.

As Purellum suggests, you need to get a 6647 transformer, as this has all the latest safety standards built in. The older blue transformers as shown in the picture do not have these latest standards.

That should get your train running for now. Later, you can worry about digital, C tracks, etc. All of what you have can be upgraded with some extra components to run digital, should you wish later on.

If you send me your email address, I can email you back a document that descibes how to wire Marklin trains for analog setup (this is what you will have).

Best of Luck!

Edited by user 22 September 2010 14:44:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 22 September 2010 08:48:04(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Sachim, perhaps im not the right person person to advice you...........
You got old M tracks and a blue transformer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the right way to start in marklin, with the original stuff..........then you can later upgrade to the newest tech thingys.........
You can mail me for anu question you may still have
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 22 September 2010 12:33:32(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
All the tracks (less one) from this lot;
http://www.tradera.com/a...mpage.aspx?aid=117987851
are uncompltete; Somebody removed the center-rail totally. It is really hard to imagine what these rails have been used for. For you they are totally useless!

The loc and the waggons are probably OK, although I would consider it a sub-standard buy, especially for the price that you paid.

I wouldnt be too worried about the old blue trafo. It is okay for the loc that you got. -And I think somebody already showed you how to make a feeder-track.

IMHO you are off to a really sad start on your new hobby. Unless you go for an older vintage layout on purpose, you should really stay away from that old stuff, and get a starter-set with a modern loc, modern track and a suitable modern controller. Should be around 1000-1500 Kroner.
Or even better; Talk to somebody where you live, and/or get advice in a hobby-shop.

Märklin is still a good product, but you must learn that the company has moved far away frm the kind of stuff that you have bought/remeber from your childhood.

===

Allow me to repeat one of the earlier answers to you, because it is really the best advice given so far, so feel free to read it again;
Quote:

If we want to keep things simple and get a good start then I would say forget about what you have bought up to now (most can be used at a later date)
Buy a Marklin starter set with an MS2 controller. You will get everything you need to get your train running round the track and therefore understand the basics. Starter sets usually include a booklet with track plans etc which will give future ideas.
Go slowly and with a start set you will have gained most of the information you require and can then come back to the forum here for any advice or comments. Also buy a Marklin catalogue which gives useful information.

Sorry for the repetition, yelling in bold, etc, but it seems to me that here's a user who needs a little help to step on the brakes. -Fast!

If you think that you are saving money, buying this old second-hand stuff, I am sorry to say that you are dead-wrong! (i.e; You paid too much, and the stuff is impossible to use together...)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 22 September 2010 13:25:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Henrik. Glad you agree with me. By now Sachin will be so confused he may well give up. All the advice is of course well meant but presumes some understanding of Marklin and all its old and new items.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline FishTankFishy  
#21 Posted : 22 September 2010 13:35:39(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Thank you all for all the excellent inputs so far with pictures and specific instructions on DIY feeder track. Once I get hold of what I have so far, I will attempt with it.

To sum up to get this thing up and running:
1) Transformer 6647.
2) Feeder tracks.

I was looking for Märklin 6647 and a brand new in Sweden cost somewhere around 1434SEK. I guess then it is better to buy a brand new starter set as many of you have suggested. Will think about it.

Still to run existing stuff other than 6647 does any other transformer can do the job?

This is list of what can be bought cheap as of now on tradera. http://www.tradera.com/s...=m%e4rklin+transformator

My personal mail id: {username of this forum} at gmail dot com
I still have to reply to messages in my box.

Per, curious about the place you mentioned. Any weblink for that?
Pierre, bigdaddynz, thanks for great instructions on DIY.

Henrik, thanks for inputs and as I said I bought it on a whim without knowing ABC of it. Now, everything costs money including knowledge right? So I learnt hard way. :)
Now have to make best use of existing things or?

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 22 September 2010 13:55:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Seems to me that Sachin has already decided that he wants to stay with the older analog items. Advice to buy the newer digital starter sets, while well intentioned, and maybe even correct in being pointed out, doesn't answer the original question, and may confuse him somewhat.

Sachin, you can still use any of the blue transformers if this is all you can obtain. Try to get one with the plastic case, like in Caralain's picture (6631), as this one is not so old. The older metal bodied transformers have been known to have their insulation break down, thus presenting an electrocution risk. Beware that transformers have various power ratings, starting at 10va, then 16va and finally 32va. The higher the rating the more locos and other things you can run off it. Be aware that there are also 40va transformers available, but these do not have a red loco control throtle so cannot control your locos, they are only suitable for powering lights and such like on a layout. Again, if you get one of these transformer types, you will need to get some plugs of the type shown in Caralian's picture, so that you can plug the feeder track into the transformer. Unfortunately, Marklin do not produce them any more, so you may have to ask around at a hobby store to find some. With the newer 6647 transformer, you don't need the plugs, as the transformer accepts bare wire.

As Henrik suggests, you need to make sure any M track you buy has the studded 3rd rail in the centre. All Marklin locos have a centre slider mounted on the loco which is used to pick up power from the track.

If you do buy a starter set, as suggested by some, you will not be able to use the loco(s) you already have without major conversion work. That is because the new starter sets are digitally powered and your locos are what we call analog powered. This means if you put your loco on track powered by a digital controller, it will only run at one speed, and that is maximum speed. That is because the digital controllers put a constant 18 volts onto the track, which your analog loco will interpret to run at full speed.

There are adapter tracks available to connect your M track to the newer C track, should you ever buy new track or buy a starter set with C track in it.

You should also be aware of a third type of Marklin track, K track, which has plastic ties mounted on the rails, and no preformed roadbed. Again, you cannot connect K track to your M track without proper connection tracks. All three track types do (should) have the centre studded 3rd rail.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline FishTankFishy  
#23 Posted : 22 September 2010 14:39:12(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Bigdaddynz, thanks for detailed reply. Noted down all the points.

As of now, only thing I am decided about is: I will get this stuff at home on rails and get it running in most economical way. So let's see how things goes.

I will definitely ask you all before getting a beginners set. For the time being I will like to take challenge of getting this thing up and running.

I understand the well intentions of everyone of you. Thank you.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 22 September 2010 14:47:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The other thing to note is that you should not use these blue transformers directly with any of the newer digital locos, as the voltage output is again too high for some of the newer locos, and may destroy the electronics inside them. Another good reason why you should get a 6647 transformer, as they are compatible with the new locos.
Offline stidblom2  
#25 Posted : 22 September 2010 15:00:46(UTC)
stidblom2

FishTankFishy, I have sent you a PM. I would gladly get together some day and help you with your layout or just talk trains. Check your PM inbox for my email adress.

:)
Offline FishTankFishy  
#26 Posted : 22 September 2010 22:23:57(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Ok, here is the update. I went to local hobby shop in Gothenburg and there I found what I wanted.

A feeder track for 25 SEK and transformer 6647. There were also old blue heavy ones for like 300SEK but I decided to buy a new one with 2 years warranty. It is expensive(698SEK) but I guess I will be good for few years on that one.

Got some M tracks too and with what I had at home and new ones tried to make running loop. Coule not join two end of tracks so had to improvise and complete manually using normal wires.

It worked. Loco moved ahead.

Although two of old used one tracks I have now seems to stall the loco sometimes. I have identified two such tracks.

One reason might be as my loop is odd shaped,tracks might not be fitting together well.

Any tips on how to check of the piece of track is working well or not?

My camera battery is down and charging now. Once charged shall post some pictures to provide light entertainment to you all :) The loop looks way too strange.
Saving grace is: Loco runs.

Will buy some more curved M tracks tomorrow and will try to make a decent loop.
So far it felt good.

Offline David Dewar  
#27 Posted : 22 September 2010 22:38:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well done. Look forward to your pics.

dave
Offline Purellum  
#28 Posted : 22 September 2010 22:44:09(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello Sachin.

I'm sorry to tell you that Henrik ( With the fantastic eyesight BigGrin ) are right, the 9 curved and 3 straigt lot has been destroyed and are useless.

Frank has got a used 6647, for which he wants 125,- Danish kroner, that is a fair price: http://www.marklin-model....dk/Tilbehor-digital.htm
( Don't get confused about the word "digital" in the link.)

If you buy a set like this you will get new tracks, a 6647 transformer, a ( plastic ) locomotive and two ugly plastic waggons:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Markl...&hash=item51953f5ac6

( More pictures here; but this auction is over: http://cgi.ebay.at/MARKL...MPFLOK-OVP-/250679594633 )

Per.

P.S: I now see that you have spend more money on just a transformer than you could have gotten a complete startset for Crying

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 22 September 2010 22:44:36(UTC)
H0

FishTankFishy wrote:
Although two of old used one tracks I have now seems to stall the loco sometimes.

Could be dirt or rust on the rails or the center rail. Rust on the center rail normally goes away if you run a few rounds at full speed.
Cleaning the outer rails may help (but don't use sandpaper).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#30 Posted : 22 September 2010 22:52:39(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello again Sachin.

Here is what you could have bought from Nettog in Denmark, also with a 2 years warranty:

http://www.shop.nettog.dk/product.asp?product=121

749,- Danish kroner + shipping.

I think somebody told you to wait and not spend any more money before you where advised Confused Scared

Per.

P.S: One item that NEVER breaks is a 6647 transformer, you don't need a warranty Wink

P.P.S: IMPORTANT!!! Is there any chance you could take the 6647 transformer back to the store,
and either get your money back or get something else?? TRY IT !!!

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#31 Posted : 22 September 2010 23:11:52(UTC)
Webmaster

I have a broken 6647, Per, so I beg to differ... The slider control under the red knob is burnt/oxidized/worn out...

I think a new transformer is worth the investment, it's a thing you will use for many years so the cost is not a major cost in the long run...

Regarding the "power blackouts", make sure the center rail connections clip together ok. With M-track, it's usually the ground connection that is the problem, meaning either bad connection at the rail joiners (caused by dirt/grime/rust) or dirt/grime on the rails.

Regarding the center rail, it could be dirty too, but as said - keep running the train...
Offline FishTankFishy  
#32 Posted : 22 September 2010 23:29:02(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Thanks mates.

Yes, I will try to see if I can return it. More I think, more I realize how stupid the deal looks like. Sad

If I could return this one and get something cheaper one from this place it shall be like 300-400 SEK.

With 125 DKK and shipping it will for sure cross over 225DKK(may be more as it is around 1.5 kg or so) which is like 280 SEK. So I guess it can be better to buy one locally or??

Offline Purellum  
#33 Posted : 22 September 2010 23:42:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Webmaster wrote:
Quote:
I have a broken 6647, Per, so I beg to differ... The slider control under the red knob is burnt/oxidized/worn out...

1: I'm sure it took you more than 2 years to destroy the slider.

2: You can still use the transformer as a supply for other things.

Per.

P.S: I don't understand the general use of the word "worn".

Where I work there is a sign saying: "Safety boots must be worn".

Why can't I use new safety boots ??? LOL

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 22 September 2010 23:55:13(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Fishtankfishy wrote:
Quote:
With 125 DKK and shipping it will for sure cross over 225DKK(may be more as it is around 1.5 kg or so)
which is like 280 SEK. So I guess it can be better to buy one locally or??

I just checked Postdanmark-prices, cheapest solution if it can be kept below 2 kgs is 121,- Danish kroner.

Has the hobbystore in Gothenburg got a webpage? Maybe we could help you find something to trade your 6647 for.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#35 Posted : 22 September 2010 23:58:47(UTC)
Webmaster

Per, boots also get worn out after too much use... Wink
http://www.hobbycenter.se/ is the shop, I presume...

Sorry Sachin for the off topic post...

Sachin, keep the new transformer. It's worth it. You now have a functional setup, time to move forward.
Offline FishTankFishy  
#36 Posted : 23 September 2010 00:02:37(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Offline Purellum  
#37 Posted : 23 September 2010 00:25:26(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

It's just that I hate to see people getting ripped of their money.

I have 5 new un-opened 29157-sets, including a 6647 at home, and 3-4 new "stand-alone" 6647.

I sell a 29157 set for 450,- Danish kroner, and a 6647 for 100,- Danish kroner.

Some of you might remember that I used to sell on QXL, the Danish version of Tradera, some pictures of what I had,
and still have a lot of: http://www.majhost.com/c...bin/gallery.cgi?f=171706

Only problem is that I'm not at home right now, I'm a place looking like this: http://www.majhost.com/g...ellum/Italy/bild0653.jpg Wink
Only it's not Italy, and it's not sunny BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#38 Posted : 23 September 2010 01:38:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Per has it right. You can spend more money buying old bits and pieces much of which is obsolete than you would on a brand new up to date start set.
It would mean that the older locos already obtained would need to be upgraded but in time this opens up a new part to the hobby.
M track is fine if you already have lots of it but the advantage of C track with better running and turnout decoders under the ballast etc is way ahead. If you want the look of real ballast and enjoy the work then K track is the way to go.
I still say get a start set and most if not all of your questions so far will be answered just be setting up the track and running the loco. Probably save you cash as well.

dave
Offline john black  
#39 Posted : 23 September 2010 01:39:10(UTC)
john black

United States   
Purellum wrote:

not at home right now, I'm a place looking like this:

http://www.majhost.com/g...ellum/Italy/bild0653.jpg BigGrin

I see, Per - you're busy in repairing some ol' coffee grinder. Take care ... ThumpUpLaugh
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#40 Posted : 23 September 2010 02:10:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
FishTankFishy wrote:
Will buy some more curved M tracks tomorrow and will try to make a decent loop.

Sachin, I think the problem with your loop may be that you have different sized curves. You need to make sure you have all the same type.

In Marklin M track there are 3 curves with differing radii.

First is the 5120 curves with a 285mm radius (measured to the centre rail), these should be avoided at all costs, as they are too tight for longer locomotives.

Next is the standard curves, the 5100 at 360mm radius. Marklin design their locos to be able to negotiate this curve as a minimum.

Last is the 5200 curves, at 437.4mm.

You need to make sure all of your curves are the same type. You need 12 of either 5100 or 5200 to make a loop, and only 8 of 5120.

If you look underneath the rails, you will see the item number printed on the edge of the rail.
Offline FishTankFishy  
#41 Posted : 23 September 2010 10:44:45(UTC)
FishTankFishy

I think I had at home 5106(more than 12 pieces) and 5206(6pieces) (curved) if I recall correctly. Will verify when home.

Also have these ones. One left and one right.
M: Turnout 5202 (5202L + 5202R)

The place I have been to have only those it seems on used ones. They do not seem have 5100/5200. I will ask again today evening.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#42 Posted : 23 September 2010 14:16:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Oh dear! The 5206 curves are of the same radius as the 5200 curves, but are designed for use as the return curve for a 5202 turnout. the 5100/5200 curves are 30 degree curves, the 5206 are only 24 degree 17 minutes, so you need a 5205 make up curve to convert a 5206 into a 5200 curve.

Best that you try and obtain either 12 5100 curves or 12 5200 curves.

Or, maybe take up Per's offer of one of his starter sets with the newer C track. You can still use the loco and freight cars and transformer you have with it. The M track you have could be sold on ebay.

One thing you should also do is get a Marklin catalog. I have posted download links to all Marklin catalogs between 1950 and 2010 in this thread - https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=12093 - I suggest you should download one that has M tracks in it (the last was 2000), and maybe the current 2010 catalog. If you continue to want to buy M track, the catalog will help you ensure you buy the right pieces.
Offline gachar001  
#43 Posted : 23 September 2010 17:49:35(UTC)
gachar001

India   
David Dewar wrote:

I still say get a start set and most if not all of your questions so far will be answered just be setting up the track and running the loco. Probably save you cash as well.

dave

I totally agree.
That is how I started off nearly 3 years ago. I purchased an inexpensive ICE 2 start set for US$150 and then just kept building on it.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline FishTankFishy  
#44 Posted : 23 September 2010 23:00:57(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Update:
I have returned the 6647 trafo and got a store credit.
Also picked up few 5100 as suggested BDNZ and on my way home picked up smaller Märklin 37540 for 100 SEK. Hooked up everything and it ran smoothly.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#45 Posted : 24 September 2010 02:04:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

FishTankFishy wrote:
Quote:

Good BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Caralain  
#46 Posted : 24 September 2010 07:08:13(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
So cute. You eventually opted for the "blue". Pay attention: you are being contaminated by a difficult virus to eradicate by regular medication. LOL RollEyes

Enjoy without moderation!

Pierre
Offline FishTankFishy  
#47 Posted : 24 September 2010 11:10:50(UTC)
FishTankFishy

Thank you so much people.
BDNZ and others, I have yellow stickies for every bit of information you have provided in last posts.

Thanks others too for keeping me on Track.

Here are new questions:
What is sharpest curve available in M tracks ?

What I DREAM to do is make a long loop something like this.

------------------------------------------------------
|
<- other curve |20cm max distance between -> here goes one sharp permissible e
|two tracks curve
------------------------------------------------------

End result
_________
(_________) Looking circuit.

Oh another one not about Märklin:
I have a trix loco (80020) with some functional track as well as trafo.
What is happening is: When I juice the tracks and put loco on it, nothing happens. Sometimes it goes like 3 to 4 cm and stops. When I try to press a finger on top of loco, there is goes ahead, remove pressure, it stops.

I also tried to lift front and rear end of engine and make contact and wheels runs like charm. When left it all alone on track , loco goes in bad mood.

Seems like contact issue to me. May be it needs maintanence. When I manually try to move loco forward, need to apply some pressure. Not free moving.

Can post couple of pics if it helps somehow.
Offline john black  
#48 Posted : 24 September 2010 19:36:53(UTC)
john black

United States   
FishTankFishy wrote:

What is sharpest curve available in M track ?

Hi Sachin Smile,

it's called Industrie-Kreis (or Industrie-Radius) - only small (and a very few articulated) locos can manage it.
You do a great start with marklins - congratulations, Sir !

Have fun ThumpUp,
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Renato  
#49 Posted : 24 September 2010 19:44:34(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
FishTankFishy wrote:
Update:
Also picked up few 5100 as suggested BDNZ and on my way home picked up smaller Märklin 37540 for 100 SEK. Hooked up everything and it ran smoothly.

UserPostedImage

Fine: I remember when I was young and was running a small layout like that with manual switches. All started many years ago and the hobby is still alive.

Welcome to the forum.

Renato
Offline john black  
#50 Posted : 24 September 2010 19:54:01(UTC)
john black

United States   
BTW, Sachin - that transformer #37540 is one excellent little controller (we still use one for the occasional carpet layout).
Its only downside: he is a bit on the "sharp" side when it comes to decoders - fries 'em in blue smoke ScaredLaugh
So please only use it for classic locos with electro-mechanical reverse unit, they are just built for this voltage Cool