Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oz_train  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2010 02:54:12(UTC)
oz_train

Australia   
Hi All,
Carpet-bahns and dogs don't mix! I came home last night to find a rake of 5 47713 stake cars lying neatly on their sides, and unfortunately one of them had several of the delicate stakes broken off.

I've tried before to glue these back on (after one arrived in the post with a broken stake), and had little success. So I was wondering - has anybody successfully re-attached the stakes?

I've tried modelling cement (the kind used to assemble plastic kits), and cyanoacrlyate type ("instant") glue, but the bond is very weak in both cases. OK for a display model, but will not stand up to contact. The break is very clean - a brittle failure. Any ideas?

Actually, the one which arrived with a broken stake also had a broken "pivot pin" which attaches the deck to the bogie, and I have the broken off piece, so with a good glue I might be able to easily repair this, too! (If not, I'll have to fabricate something).

thanks & regards,
John.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2010 07:26:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
oz_train wrote:
I've tried before to glue these back on (after one arrived in the post with a broken stake), and had little success. So I was wondering - has anybody successfully re-attached the stakes?

Yes, I used some super glue (cyanoacrylate) to reattach some stakes on one of my stake cars. They are still attached after a year or so, so I guess that has worked out OK.

oz_train wrote:
Actually, the one which arrived with a broken stake also had a broken "pivot pin" which attaches the deck to the bogie, and I have the broken off piece, so with a good glue I might be able to easily repair this, too! (If not, I'll have to fabricate something).

I purchased a 2nd hand 47713 car from ETS, and when I opened it up, the bogie along with other bits and pieces fell out of the box. The same thing had happened - the bogie pivot had come apart. I fixed that by cutting a small piece of round plastic sprue off a Faller kit I was building at the time, and glued that in place of the pivot. You have to be careful not to get glue into the coupler mechanism, if you do, just move it carefully from side to side to loosen it up. I then attached the bogie to the new pivot by melting the tip of the pivot with a soldering iron, making sure that the bogie can still pivot. Again, the repair has lasted, and works well - no derailments.

Just reading about cyanoacrylate glues on Wikipedia, here is something that may be of use:

"When added to baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), cyanoacrylate glue forms a hard, lightweight filler/adhesive (baking soda is first used to fill a gap then the adhesive is dropped onto the baking soda). This works well with porous materials that the glue doesn't work well with alone. This method is sometimes used by aircraft modelers to assemble or repair polystyrene foam parts. It is also used to repair small nicks in the leading edge of composite propeller blades on light aircraft. Note that the reaction between cyanoacrylate and baking soda is very exothermic (heat producing) and also produces noxious vapors. "
Offline Ace Wickwire  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:37:36(UTC)
Ace Wickwire

United States   
Saw this old post and thought would add to it.

I'm working on a scratch built building and the cheap super glue I have wasn't setting up very fast. Then remembered the super glue & baking soda trick I saw on YouTube not long ago. Since the glue location is out of sight, appearance not a big deal. Sprinkled a little baking soda on the spot and bang instant hardening. Just what I needed.

This isn't the prettiest glue joint but with a little paint will work just fine. Believe you can work (file or sand) the spot a bit to improve the appearance. Will give that a try later on.

Hope this helps with your projects. Woot

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ace Wickwire
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:47:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I found superglue nor gorilla glue works on many plastics. So I use Weldwood original contact cement. It's the glue used to adhere Formica to wood. It also works on ceramic.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2021 02:30:52(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
These cars are notorious for breaking in shipping. Around the house or layout I've never had one fail. I've fixed several for friends, here is my recipe:

1- For stakes I simply use Plastruct Plastic Weld. (the orange label) Works great, especially on clean breaks.

2- The truck mount/pin is a much more difficult job. I've found a properly sized wooden dowel cut to the correct length and superglued is a great fix. Painted black you will never notice. I cap it with a thin styrene or wooden piece so the truck stays mounted, but for this I use a weaker glue (usually elmers white glue) in case I ever need to pull it off
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2021 08:09:28(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
WARNING.
They are terrible things. I once bought one from a great trader in NZ and when it got to me it had broken bogies, broken chassis and lots of broken stakes. It was well packed as well., As a result I will never buy another one and the two I have had since new [ bought new about 1999-2000 ], will have to stay in their boxes . I don't even trust them to work on my layout as the first mistake will most likely write them off. BTW, I got my money back after sending the broken wagon back. They were obviously made with crap plastic, probably just like the early C track . Who knows. If anyone wants to buy them off me, they will have to come and pick them up. They will not travel by post.

Dereck

ps I think I have mentioned this before. Be aware.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä