Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nightowl4933  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2010 00:55:17(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Yep. It's me again....

A lot of the signals and turnouts on my layout will be automaticaly controlled by train movement, but with a manual override so I can control trains and position them around the track or bring them 'home' at the end of the day.

What I would like to do is have a display of red/green LED's that correspond to the position of the turnouts and slips (not necessarily the signals) adjacent to the control boxes I'll be using. This will allow me to see how they are set and change them when moving stuff about.

First of all, is this reasonably achievable, and if so is this an appropriate feedback method? I take it there are no control boxes like the 72720 with illumination.

Or is there a much simpler solution?

Thanks,

Pete

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Z Scale is great - where's me glasses?
Offline rugauger  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2010 01:16:09(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
You could run two wires (one for each "direction") back from the turnout to where your control panel is. And at the control panel, the current that activates the turnout could activate a relay to switch the LED to the other colour. It's just a lot of wiring...
Richard
Offline Nightowl4933  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2010 01:29:05(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Of course the wires to the control boxes aren't permanently live so I couldn't feed the LED's from them and therefore I'd need a relay for each of the LED's.

Hmmm, perhaps a lot of wiring and a bit OTT on the relay front!

Thanks, rugauger - it was just a thought.

Pete
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2010 08:56:55(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Viessmann make banks of switches for signals and turnouts that include an LED feedback.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Nightowl4933  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2010 13:53:32(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Thanks, Gary.

As I already have a bank of M* switches I was rather hoping to use those 'on the cheap', but I think the switches you refer to may be the better option - if the LED colour relates to the turnout position rather than the switch position, if that makes sense?

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2010 15:46:20(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Oooooeeeeeeerrrrrr! I just checked the price and it works out at about £5.30 per turnout if bought new. Considering that they will contain set/reset bistables (one one? chip) and 8 LEDs that is mucho expensive. Thinks, 'Maybe a better approach would be to forget LEDs and use good old Hornby passing switches.' No. they are even more expensive at £7.75. :o(

OK, Peco do them for £4.00 each from Rails of Sheffield. And they come in four different colours. No LEDs required as the switch position gives the same info. Cat. Nos. are PL-26 with suffix R(ed), Y(ellow), B(lack) and W(ite).

Hope that helps.

Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2010 19:33:50(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Chris,

Are these switches per turnout, and not in banks of 4 like the M* ones?

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2010 20:16:01(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Yes Pete. However, the Hornby ones can be joined together to form a bank. I think the Peco ones fit into a frame or into slots in your control panel. I haven't investigated yet, but I have the same problem as you, though I might solve it by using bespoke (i.e. home brew) electronics.

Chris.

PS. I should point out that my current layout uses route selection so just four switches will set up a complete, continuous oval, setting the pointwork, signals and traction power, though the latter also requires 4 feeder switches to be set as well as most sections of track can be supplied from one of two controllers. My control panel looks like a nightmare but most of the switches are not normally required,

Edited by user 24 January 2010 11:46:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline hgk  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2010 07:07:03(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
It might be worthwile opening up a switch unit to see if you can install small magnets and reed switches to output to leds.
I believe there could be a possibility for startup state errors when your monitoring the switch position. ie: if
you power down and change the switch position the turnout will not move and when you power up it still doesn't move but now
the switch is in the wrong position. Maybe someone with more hands on experience can confirm this. It seems that it would
be a pain to monitor the turnout itself if its not already set up for it. I was also going to suggest using an RS flipflop
via a driver to the leds on the switch outputs as the parts are cheap but you need some electronics knowledge to get the
current limiting resistors right, blocking diodes, and it may be too spikey etc,etc,. Let us know if your leaning toward doing one way or another.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2010 11:46:45(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hello hgk,

I wouldn't mind knocking up a circuit on a pcb as I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron, but it's the circuit design I'm not capable of.

The idea of using the Veissmann switches interests me, albeit an expensive option, because I couldn't produce something as 'pretty' as them.

The specific ones I was looking at are the Viessman 5549 and I've found some at a similar price G* are asking for the M* 72720 switch block, although I'd have to pay for postage from Germany.

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#11 Posted : 24 January 2010 14:15:47(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Good day Pete.

Nightowl4933 wrote:
I wouldn't mind knocking up a circuit on a pcb as I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron, but it's the circuit design I'm not capable of.
The circuit is very simple. I will see if I can draw it out for you, and source a chip.

Quote:
The idea of using the Viessmann switches interests me, albeit an expensive option, because I couldn't produce something as 'pretty' as them.
I agree, they are very attractive. I'm afraid the price would put me off using them. With over 40 remote controlled turnouts and slips, that would add up to about £220. (The 72720's would come to £170.)

Quote:
The specific ones I was looking at are the Viessmann 5549 and I've found some at a similar price G* are asking for the M* 72720 switch block, although I'd have to pay for postage from Germany.

However, it is worth shopping around as G* are pretty expensive. There are often 72720's and 7272's appearing on eBay (there are quite a few there at the moment), especially is you include the EU in your search. (Be aware that, although functionally the same, the 7272 and 72720 are not compatible as they use different diameter connections. If you do go down the 72720 path, I think I have one or two for sale.

Hope that helps a bit.

Chris.

Pete
Offline Nightowl4933  
#12 Posted : 24 January 2010 15:26:43(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Thanks Chris,

I've already got quite a few of the 7272* switch boards (of both types) and I was thinking with the hassle and cost of the components, etc. I'd be better off changing to the V* switches.

Having said that, if you could design the circuit that would be very helpful, indeed!

I have about 30 slips and turnouts :-)
Offline Breitenfurt  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2010 18:32:22(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

I've just revisited your track plan and looked at the ground level loops as that is where you are starting.

Have you made any changes since the layout I posted on 8th January on the AnyRail forum? If not, there are some changes you need to make to the placing of feeders and detectors. Also, looking at the interchange station, I think you might have a redundant layout at the right hand end (on the drawing) of the station depending on what train movements you are planning for. You need to think 'Loco' rather than 'Train' in the placing of detectors. For instance, you will want the train to stop fully in the platform road. Thus the detector track needs to be near the exit end with an isolator track either side of it (as described earlier when talking about the loops). If you like, I can do the necessary mods to a couple of tracks to show what I mean.

On a different tack, have you thought about using route switching rather than individual turnouts? It involves a lot of diodes but is pretty easy to plan and realise once you get the hang of it.

Have to go now.

All the best,
Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2010 20:06:22(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I have changed the layout a bit to take acount of the detector tracks and isolation sections. I've also reduced the hidden station to just 2 tracks each.

It might be a bit amaturish, but I've introduced a series of isolated sections in the visible station so the train reduces speed in steps. I used a series of diodes to step down the voltage over two steps, the third step being the isolated section 'in the station'. When the second train returns from it's loop it releases the first train and the sections after the isolated one steps up to full speed. I'm not doing this in the shadow station because an immediate stop isn't critical, although I might power it one step down.

I have no idea what route switching is, but I wonder if I'm achieving something similar? I though the accessories in Z were AC, rendering diodes useless in this type of circuit - but then I'm no electronics engineer!

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#15 Posted : 24 January 2010 22:19:30(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

Sounds like you've got it all under control. The accessories can be ac or dc operated. If you have a mains controller with internal transformer it will be 16Vac. If you are using a controller with a separate transformer it will be full wave unsmoothed 11Vdc. Personally, I found that the latter did not have the guts to switch several turnouts and signals and a train. SO I purchased a stabilised 16Vdc wallwart for all the signals etc. That then allowed me to use diode matrices to set up routes. The layout is divided in to four sectors: storage to main line, mainline to station, station to mainline and mainline to storage. As there are no signals associated with the storage sidings a single button press selects a siding to mainline route. [At this point I was going to look for the wiring file to confirm something and, to my horror, it has gone. There is an earlier version of it on the drive and, fortunately the lost circuits are on line, though just as images. It will take many hours of work to recreate the file. Damn.]

For the second block, entering the station, a single button selects the route and sets the appropriate (station entry) signal to off and, via a relay, the appropriate power connections are made, fed back from the destination track. The third block is functionally the same but in reverse with power coming from the exit road back to the appropriate track. Since installing this system the number of accidents has been reduced to almost nil.

Chris.
Offline southernkiwi  
#16 Posted : 27 January 2010 00:42:19(UTC)
southernkiwi

Not sure it this will help, but Heathcote Electronics (http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk) have a point indicator. It is quite expensive at £15.60 but is does do up to 4 points. As far as I can tell, it uses the momentary power from your normal points switch to set a continuous LED (I imagine it forgets the setting if you turn off the power).
Z-Gauge: Engines - 5 steam, 7 Diesel, 9 Electric.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2010 00:57:31(UTC)
Breitenfurt

southernkiwi wrote:
Not sure it this will help, but Heathcote Electronics (http://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk) have a point indicator. It is quite expensive at £15.60 but is does do up to 4 points. As far as I can tell, it uses the momentary power from your normal points switch to set a continuous LED (I imagine it forgets the setting if you turn off the power).
The various boards all remember the point settings and appear to use latching relays. I still think I will do a home brew but will need a lot more relays. If remembering isn't a problem, then S/R bistables are fine. (And, Pete, I haven't forgotten about doing a circuit for you. Will do it for both systems.

Chris.

PS If you look at teh "I want to sell" forum, someone was selling latching relays.
Offline hgk  
#18 Posted : 28 January 2010 09:24:23(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
Here's a workup I did with some old parts I had laying around just to see how it would work. Because there is no feedback from the turnout, it will power up in an undeterminate state. One could always cycle the switches at startup to bring it to a known state output. Most SR flipflops come 2 on a chip thus one chip can monitor 2 turnouts. The ic needs DC power so the turnout is operating at the same (10.5vdc) voltage which means a seperate power supply from the Marklin transformer which is AC out to accessories. Seems like there's always a catch or two when trying to do things at a lower cost. (Ignore the rest of the stuff on the breadboard it's not for the turnout.) Let me know if you have any questions.
-George
http://s220.photobucket....rklinswitchindicator.flv
Schematic: (I'm not an EE so please help yourself to making any improvements.)
http://s220.photobucket....rrent=Swposindicator.jpg

Nightowl4933 wrote:
Hello hgk,

The idea of using the Veissmann switches interests me, albeit an expensive option, because I couldn't produce something as 'pretty' as them.

The specific ones I was looking at are the Viessman 5549 and I've found some at a similar price G* are asking for the M* 72720 switch block, although I'd have to pay for postage from Germany.

Pete

Edited by user 01 February 2010 23:26:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Breitenfurt  
#19 Posted : 29 January 2010 09:51:13(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi George.

I had a look but I don't know what the first image is as Photobucket refuses to open it for me. Had the same problem yesterday so just left it running but it never downloaded. This is why I don't use these services. The other image was fine.

Chris.
Offline hgk  
#20 Posted : 29 January 2010 22:25:42(UTC)
hgk

Hi Chris,
I'ts typically because of a missing browser plugin. Ran fine at home for me but
didn't run from work until I got the browser plugin. I loaded the google chrome
browser just to have a totally clean browser to start with. Do you know of another site I can
upload to as I can't host it myself? What do others here usually do for their movie files?

thanks for any help,
-George

Chris Manvell wrote:
Hi George.

I had a look but I don't know what the first image is as Photobucket refuses to open it for me. Had the same problem yesterday so just left it running but it never downloaded. This is why I don't use these services. The other image was fine.

Chris.

Offline Breitenfurt  
#21 Posted : 29 January 2010 22:56:59(UTC)
Breitenfurt

I'm not sure George. I am using Firefox with all the latest plug-ins but it didn't work in IE8 either.

I seem to remember Juhan saying something about being able to upload images to the forum such that they do not have to be held elsewhere on line. However, I couldn't find the message so I may be mistaking it for another forum.

Best wishes from the night Skye,
Chris.
Offline nevw  
#22 Posted : 30 January 2010 04:41:15(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
You can upload Images to the forum. There are some How to in hte Forum Topic:

https://www.marklin-user....aspx?g=posts&t=1067

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline hgk  
#23 Posted : 30 January 2010 07:50:04(UTC)
hgk

Hi Chris,
I hope you have more patience for these compatiblity issues than I. From what I gather Photobucket converts the .wmv file to a .flv file
which is an adobe flash player format. You can get the adobe flashplayer download and see if it works.

I've also uploaded it to MediaFire which keeps the .wmv format but is only there for 60 days and you have to download it to view it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zjvjzynnzc3/Marklin switch indicator.wmv

Nev's info was for photos only so it won't help with the movie.
If there's a movie instruction set without all these hassels then hopefully someone will let us know.

The schematic using the forum upload: Edit note- changed 47k to 2k
UserPostedImage
Good luck,
-George

Chris Manvell wrote:
I'm not sure George. I am using Firefox with all the latest plug-ins but it didn't work in IE8 either.

I seem to remember Juhan saying something about being able to upload images to the forum such that they do not have to be held elsewhere on line. However, I couldn't find the message so I may be mistaking it for another forum.

Best wishes from the night Skye,
Chris.

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:58:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Breitenfurt  
#24 Posted : 30 January 2010 10:42:37(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Thanks George. That worked fine. I re-installed the flash player but still had problems though. I'd be interested to see whether Pete had the same problem.

All the best from a snowy Skye.
Offline hgk  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2010 02:15:16(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
I hope I haven't said anything to scare you away from trying the LED indicator circuit. It's really very foolproof. One could use a wall brick supply and there's also an "instructable" or 2 for recycling old computer power supplies into nice bench supplies which can work for this. Even the startup state problem would only require pressing the existing pushed switch buttons down once again.
Best Wishes and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions,
-George
Offline Nightowl4933  
#26 Posted : 02 February 2010 16:22:27(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
hgk wrote:
Hi Pete,
I hope I haven't said anything to scare you away from trying the LED indicator circuit. It's really very foolproof. One could use a wall brick supply and there's also an "instructable" or 2 for recycling old computer power supplies into nice bench supplies which can work for this. Even the startup state problem would only require pressing the existing pushed switch buttons down once again.
Best Wishes and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions,
-George

Hi hgk,

I'm not scared yet - I just don't know what a MC14027b is, how I'd mount it or where I can get one (or all the other components I'd need to make enough of these) although I guess a G* search will help. Also, do I need stripboard of a generic pcb for these?

I would probably use the existing M* switch boxes in parallel with the track switches and would like the green or red LED's to change when either operates. is it possible (or worth it) to use a single, two-colour LED for each identifier, i.e. one that can be green or red? As all the switches and turnouts can only be in one of two aspects I wonnder if this would be the better option?

I do have plenty of M* controller transformers (with an 12Vac auxilliary output in addition to the train's speed control) and also a M* 16Vac accessories transformer so I should be OK for a power supply. I use the latter for the new style LED signals.

Chris has suggested using latch relays but he still working on the circuitry for that option. I'm happy to work long hours with a soldering iron as long as the bits are (very) cheap - budgetry limits being exceeded by quite a bit!
Offline Breitenfurt  
#27 Posted : 02 February 2010 19:42:09(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

For some reason your message came under the radar and I have only just seen it.

Probably the easiest place to get the stuff in the UK is Maplins (www.maplin.co.uk). There are plenty of other places as well, e.g. Rapid Electronics www.rapidonline.com but I only have experience of Maplin. You would need to buy some 0.1" pitch Veroboard or similar (a paxolin board with a matrix of holes and strips of copper on one side; also, the other components (resistors, diodes, wire and, of course, the 4027 integrated circuit (dual JK flip-flop) but almost any type of CMOS will do.

I have to go now. I will have a look at teh Maplin site for you and give you a list of compoments.

Chris.
Offline hgk  
#28 Posted : 02 February 2010 23:31:53(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
My number one suggestion would be to hook up with someone nearby who has a little electronics construction experience to help you figure out all the
small details, ie: which way do the led's go, etc.
One thing about the power supply - you need a DC supply for this circuit. The turnout will work fine
using dc power instead of ac, but the ic chip cannot work off an ac transformer and both the turnout and ic need to run off the same source.

I'm about as far away from UK as one can get so I don't know what supply sources are available there but here's one source I found with google:
http://uk.farnell.com/on...027-dip16-15v/dp/9665510
Whatever source that has the ic will have the other components. The diodes can be 4001 or whatever is cheapest. Chris Manvell was going to post a parts list for you.
Remember that one ic has 2 flipflops so it will monitor 2 turnouts. All the other parts shown on the schematic are per turnout.
For a circuit board something similar to this would work fine:
http://www.radioshack.co...x.jsp?productId=2102846#
It will probably support 3 or 4 ic chips.
I would suggest using a socket for the ic chip.
You can easily substitute a dual color led if you perfer, I think the biggest difference is the mental processing- 2 led's imply direction
more than a single led which implies more of a go/no go situation (my opinion only).
You need to figure out how you want to layout the switches and led's and that may help determine how the whole thing goes together physically.
You can get panel mount hardware for the leds or you can get led's with a chrome bezel already on it.
You can get terminal strip for pc board to connect to the external devices - power led's, switches.
Again it's best to have someone nearby looking over your shoulder but if not we're here to help with any questions you have.
I think if you put one together then you'll see how easy, or difficult, it is and can go from there.

Best Regards,
-George
Offline Breitenfurt  
#29 Posted : 02 February 2010 23:34:32(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Me again.

From Maplin.
Pt.No. Cat.No. price Stock.
Stripboard
Board £5.38 FL17T In Stock
IC
4027 QX16S £1.39 In Stock
Resistors
1k M1K £0.17 In Stock
2k M2K £0.17 In Stock
Diodes
1N4001S QL73Q £0.16 In Stock
Push buttons
I assume you are using Marklin.

LEDs at http://maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=led&source=15&menu=-2

Some of the above can be bought much more cheaply on eBay.

You will also need to use a drill bit to cut the tracks under the strip board. Or you can get the tool:
SpotFaceCutter FL25C £8.52 Out of stock, due within 14 Days

Hope that helps.
Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#30 Posted : 03 February 2010 00:32:25(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
I feel I'm being wet-nursed here...

Hi George. Relative to the Pacific, Chris is really close by, and he's been helping me a lot, although it would be impractical to pop over to talk electronics BigGrin! The components are very expensive - and really cheap on eBay! It looks like this might be the better option. Unless...

...Chris, would latching relay's resolve the issue of the startup state of the turnouts and slips, or am I confusing this thread with a different one? Assuming, of course, latching relays are designed to stay where they are in the event of a power shutdown?

Pete
Offline hgk  
#31 Posted : 03 February 2010 05:48:04(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
Kinda like woodworking, by the time you add it all up you pay twice as much as buying. Actually, I figured about 4 US dollars
per turnout plus any shipping. Is that close to what you came up with?

A mechanical latching relay solution doesn't sound too likely (cheap) to me, but if you can find inexpensive 10vac ones, your all set.
My original suggestion of opening up the switchbox and installing magnets with reed switches might still be viable as a low cost solution,
plus it senses the switch position at startup. You would then use ac lamps for your indicators.
A 3mm magnet sounds doable: http://www.sparkfun.com/...nfo.php?products_id=8644

Wet-nursing, no way- I'm just trying to be encouraging and still be ready to run in case you burn the house down.

Nightowl4933 wrote:
I feel I'm being wet-nursed here...

Hi George. Relative to the Pacific, Chris is really close by, and he's been helping me a lot, although it would be impractical to pop over to talk electronics BigGrin! The components are very expensive - and really cheap on eBay! It looks like this might be the better option. Unless...

...Chris, would latching relay's resolve the issue of the startup state of the turnouts and slips, or am I confusing this thread with a different one? Assuming, of course, latching relays are designed to stay where they are in the event of a power shutdown?

Pete

Offline Breitenfurt  
#32 Posted : 03 February 2010 12:20:14(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

I have emailed the guy I got my relays from and am waiting for a reply.

Another option, if you go for the electronic solution, is to use a rechargeable battery to remember the settings. CMOS uses so little current that it would hold the settings for months, if not years. Even a primary cell with a protective diode would keep it going for ages. It doesn't have to be as much as 10V.

Chris.
Offline Nightowl4933  
#33 Posted : 03 February 2010 12:27:41(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
hgk wrote:
Hi Pete,
Kinda like woodworking, by the time you add it all up you pay twice as much as buying. Actually, I figured about 4 US dollars
per turnout plus any shipping. Is that close to what you came up with?

A mechanical latching relay solution doesn't sound too likely (cheap) to me, but if you can find inexpensive 10vac ones, your all set.
My original suggestion of opening up the switchbox and installing magnets with reed switches might still be viable as a low cost solution,
plus it senses the switch position at startup. You would then use ac lamps for your indicators.
A 3mm magnet sounds doable: http://www.sparkfun.com/...nfo.php?products_id=8644

IC @ £1 each
IC socket @ 50p each
95mm x 64mm Stripboard @ 75p each (Enough space for 3?)
100x diodes 99p
100x 1k resistor 99p
100x 2k resistor £3.49 (what rating would I need for the resistors?)
3x 3mm green LED's c/w 12v resistors @ 99p
3x 3mm red LED c/w 12v resistor @ 99p.

This seems to work out at about £2.50 each, I suppose, but I'm not clear how each IC could be used for 2 devices.
Quote:

Wet-nursing, no way- I'm just trying to be encouraging and still be ready to run in case you burn the house down.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin I've got someone at home who thinks the same!

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#34 Posted : 03 February 2010 14:11:34(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Each IC contains two bistables, one on each side.

Chris.
Offline hgk  
#35 Posted : 03 February 2010 23:03:13(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
Here's a copy of the ic pinouts just wire up the second turnout switches, and leds into the bottom flipflop same as the top one, ie: pin 7 on upper filpflop is equalivant to pin 9 on the bottom one.
The inputs are shown connected to ground in the schematic above to avoid stray noise issues if your not using both flipflops.

-George
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#36 Posted : 11 February 2010 19:33:01(UTC)
Goofy

Nightowl4933 wrote:
Hi,

Yep. It's me again....

A lot of the signals and turnouts on my layout will be automaticaly controlled by train movement, but with a manual override so I can control trains and position them around the track or bring them 'home' at the end of the day.

What I would like to do is have a display of red/green LED's that correspond to the position of the turnouts and slips (not necessarily the signals) adjacent to the control boxes I'll be using. This will allow me to see how they are set and change them when moving stuff about.

First of all, is this reasonably achievable, and if so is this an appropriate feedback method? I take it there are no control boxes like the 72720 with illumination.

Or is there a much simpler solution?

Thanks,

Pete

Try this one to follow after:
www.hobby.se/index.php?a...p;stilmall=stimall-A.php
Scroll down and you see schema of turnoutswiring with led.
I suggest at least 1kohm resistor.

ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Breitenfurt  
#37 Posted : 12 February 2010 12:35:33(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Goofy.

Looking at that, it looks as if there is a switch in the turnout motor. Is that the case with the HO turnouts? To implement that circuit in Z scale there would have to be a separate latching relay (e.g. Marklin 8945) associated with each turnout/double slip. That would be why the control box, Marklin 72710, only appears in the HO section of the catalogue.

All the best,
Chris.
Offline hgk  
#38 Posted : 14 February 2010 04:33:23(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
I've been looking into the latching relay solution Chris mentioned and found a minature that's only $2.75 usd so I've ordered a few to play with.
They keep their position when powered down and they're double pole so there's an extra switch which can be used for a block signal or
something. They're only available in DC but as they're not solid state I think they will work ok just through a diode. I'll let you know
in a week or two if it works out.
Offline hgk  
#39 Posted : 18 April 2010 11:15:55(UTC)
hgk

Hi Pete,
I finally got around to playing with those latching relays I purchased. I had to change the marklin single pole switch to a double pole, but seeing how these indicators are usually done on a control panel, its something that would have to be replaced anyway. I put a new video up on photobucket, hope it works for you this time. (I would have put it on youtube but when I went to signup they were asking me for more information than when I applied for a home mortgage loan, which caused me to give them a big aloha.)
latching relay movie
The circuit works great for keeping track of turnouts when powered down and back up and the cost isn't bad if you can get a good price on the switches. The relay was under 3$ USD.
Here's the schematic for it. As usual - for experimentation only, don't try this at home, etc. disclamer applies:

UserPostedImage
-George
Offline Nightowl4933  
#40 Posted : 18 April 2010 16:03:54(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Thanks, George, that's brilliant. I'll see if I can get hold of the bits here in the UK and give it a go.

Pete
Offline Nightowl4933  
#41 Posted : 18 April 2010 16:22:56(UTC)
Nightowl4933

United Kingdom   
Hi George,

I can find the diodes (are all 4 the same?), capacitors and resistors from eBay, but the latching relays (a part number would be really helpful Blushing ) and bi-polar LED's seem more rare.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Pete
Offline Breitenfurt  
#42 Posted : 18 April 2010 17:55:24(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Pete.

I got my relays from a guy in Sweden (see https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=14184 ). They will need to be mounted on veroboard but that is easy enough. The 1N4001 diodes were £1.00 for a hundred off eBay, where I also got my veroboard. Bi-coloured red/green leds are available on eBay at £.1.50 for 10. If you are not in to eBay these days, try Maplin (not checked).

It amazes me that, after a 3 week break from M-users, this is the only thread that has come up email to say a topic I am watching has an answer.

All the best,
Chris.
Offline hgk  
#43 Posted : 18 April 2010 23:49:54(UTC)
hgk

Hi,
The diodes can be any of the 4000 series, whatever is available cheap.
I picked up the led's at a local radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.co...ex.jsp?productId=2062549
Some red/green led's are three legs which would require a minor rework of the circuit and resistors.
I ordered the relay from digikey or mouser electronics. Number on part is DS2E-SL2-DC12V but what your looking for is a 12VDC DPDT latching relay with dual coil.
The switch is any DPDT (ON)OFF(ON) momentary toggle switch.
-George

Nightowl4933 wrote:
Hi George,

I can find the diodes (are all 4 the same?), capacitors and resistors from eBay, but the latching relays (a part number would be really helpful Blushing ) and bi-polar LED's seem more rare.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Pete

Offline Breitenfurt  
#44 Posted : 19 April 2010 01:20:09(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Me again. I forgot about the switch. I got all mine off eBay. Watch out for the colour. I found that the blue ones have thermoplastic bodies whereas the red have thermosetting bodies. I would go for the latter as they don't melt!

BTW, Radio Shack trades as Tandy over this side of the pond. I don't know how widespread they are, but the Inverness store closed quite a few years ago.

Chris.