Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2009 03:41:23(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All,
As it is the season for such things, I've been pulling out trains and running them like crazy lately. Today I pulled out a box that had me two Roco "Sputnik" work cabooses. These awesome little Swiss guys (1 SBB and 1 BLS) are some of my favorite cars. While admiring them I learned something new- they have interior lighting! Naturally, I've decided to complicate life and convert them to AC so I can make use of this feature. Has anyone done this, or know a person/website that has? It would be much appreciated.

BTW for entertainments sake the receipt was in the box. Price of a well detailed car with lights in 2001? $22,95 US. Boy things have changed
SBB Era 2-5
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2009 04:13:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I have 2 aswell, SBB & BLS).
Over the years I forgot they have interior lights but I don't think all of them had.
Originally I had in mind to fiddle around and see what I could do to get the interior light going but abandoned it.
My idea of converting it would be a led with a battery fed power supply and an on-off switch.
Adding a pick up shoe was'nt an option as the underside is not realy suited for a slider.
than I thought of an electrical coupling right next to the loco and this may be the best option.
Märklin has got them (1 contact) (red wire) and the brown wire coming from the trackwheels.
Than you would have to think about the flickering and there is a little electronic board that can fix that.
Because it is'nt on my priority list, I haven't gone any further with it.

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2009 04:20:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I wonder if it would be possible to take one of the Maerklin freight cars that have a version with slider, install the same slider underneath that car, put a decoder inside and then run the wires by current conducting couplers to the appropriate contacts in the Sputnik to activate the interior lights and taillight (if so equipped). The other possibility would be to install a 9V DC Battery and switch or digital relay inside the freight car and wire it the same way.

I don't know if Roco's model has place to build in a slider nor whether the circuitry can accept AC voltage

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2009 12:44:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

I don't know if Roco's model has place to build in a slider nor whether the circuitry can accept AC voltage

Regards

Mike C

the answer is no, unless you get rid of all the underside details and even than I'm convinced it can't match a slider underneath it.

regards.,
John

Offline black_pete  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2009 14:22:17(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
I raised a query along similar lines some time ago which is in the archives under

Roco Sputnik #46964 on 3 Rail Digital - Lutz

Unfortunately the very informative reply from Lutz Hemmerich has lost it's picture links. However I'm sure you will still find this a useful read.

BTW - Such being life I still haven't found time to work on my own unit yet Smile
Regards
Pete

expat Kiwi - now living in Melbourne

SBB Era IV & V - Digital - CS1 - C Track
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2009 15:21:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by black_pete
<br />I raised a query along similar lines some time ago which is in the archives under

Roco Sputnik #46964 on 3 Rail Digital - Lutz

Unfortunately the very informative reply from Lutz Hemmerich has lost it's picture links. However I'm sure you will still find this a useful read.

BTW - Such being life I still haven't found time to work on my own unit yet Smile

Nothing comes up under search for Roc 46964 Sputnik
Offline black_pete  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2009 23:46:24(UTC)
black_pete

Australia   
Note that when searching for archive threads you must tick the Archive Posts box under Search In:

Otherwise the system will only search back so far - I'm not sure how deep the standard search is but the Webmaster may be able to advise us how far the default will go.

John this should give you access to the relevant thread - pesky computers biggrin
Regards
Pete

expat Kiwi - now living in Melbourne

SBB Era IV & V - Digital - CS1 - C Track
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2009 01:32:20(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Nice to know its doable!

Lutz- if you are reading do you still have those pix?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 17 June 2018 03:23:51(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

Nearly 9 years later, I thought I'd revive this post. I found Lutz's original thread:

https://www.marklin-user...on-3-Rail-Digital---Lutz

Based on this input, and my own adventuring, the electric is no problem. What is a problem is mounting a pickup shoe. I've cleared the center car floor to create a flat surface, but have no idea how to mount a shoe, or what kind of spacer I'll need.

Has anyone done this and can share tips or info? It would save me a lot of R&D effort if so! Google wasn't a ton of help either (surprisingly)

Thanks in advance.
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Unholz  
#10 Posted : 17 June 2018 08:45:13(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if it would be possible to take one of the Maerklin freight cars that have a version with slider, install the same slider underneath that car, put a decoder inside and then run the wires by current conducting couplers to the appropriate contacts in the Sputnik to activate the interior lights and taillight (if so equipped).

A similar idea was described here:
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 17 June 2018 15:41:09(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if it would be possible to take one of the Maerklin freight cars that have a version with slider, install the same slider underneath that car, put a decoder inside and then run the wires by current conducting couplers to the appropriate contacts in the Sputnik to activate the interior lights and taillight (if so equipped).

A similar idea was described here:

Thanks Stefan- I saw that, but an hesitant to do a power supply car. I did find this, which is similar to my idea, I'd just need to sort the length of the plastic spacer:

IMG_9149.JPG
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 17 June 2018 19:09:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I wonder if you could do something with Rapido Trains' "Easy-Peasy" LEDs instead of using a slider, kind of like the Roco Z2 Post cars but with micro batteries?

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2018 02:59:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole today, and converted all 3 of my sputniks to AC. It took a little experimenting, but it turned out well. My notes/steps:

1- Remove the air tanks and hoses from the underside car floor carefully. This involves 1-2 cuts - be sure to make them cleanly and preserve the parts- you will need them later

2- very carefully sand or grind off the Roco logo and the "RO" ("CO" not necessary) to leave a smooth floor

3- Open up the roof. Unsolder the power lead from the PC board on the toilet side of the car, and solder it together with the lead on the other side

4- There is a vertical pump/hose/toilet drain under the car (see image under point #14 below for location) which you should have already removed to reveal a small mounting hole in the floor. Using a pin vise with small bit, go into that hole and drill through the car floor. Be careful with this- directly above is the dividing wall for the bathroom, so you need to drill at a small angle towards the bathroom. If done right this puts a hole in the bathroom floor.

5- Run a piece of 30awg wire from the (now) empty PC board lead through the bathroom, through the hole you drilled, and out the floor with at least a few inches to spare- you can cut it later. Leave it alone for now, and feel free to put the roof back on.

6- Get a Marklin 7175 pickup shoe and a suitable screw, preferable self-tapping. Also procure a Plastruct (or similar) 1/4 inch square dowel like the one in the image below.
rod.jpg

7- very carefully -so as to cut straight as possible- cut an 8-9mm section if the dowel. I did this three times and probably have 3 different but similar lengths. Screw the pickup shoe into the dowel.

8- Test fit the assembly to the car floor. I used thin double stick tape, and accounted for the fact the tape added thickness. Gently test for height on C track. Don't forget to test over switches!!!! Shave dowel length if necessary, or shim with sheet styrene if too short

9- Once sorted, paint the dowel and edges of the pickup shoe a grey or black so they blend in
IMG_1061.JPG

10- Once dry, Mount to the car floor. I used Plastruct plastic weld (orange label) for this as you need a solid joint.

11- Test yet again for alignment and running quality, this time behind an actual train

12- Take previously-removed toilet drain, and put the pin vise through it. Then run the wire through it and leave loose.

13- Solder the wire to the pickup shoe

14 -Use plastruct to re-mount the toilet drain to the floor. This conceals a lot of wire travel!
IMG_1062.JPG

15- Reattach the hose gear. You may have to cut a few pieces, but trust me its worth putting anything possible back in to cover up the pickup shoe and mount
finished w air hose mounted.jpgfinished side view.jpg

Enjoy! Photos to follow, this wasn't the easiest project but also not that hard, and well worth the results!

Edited by user 21 June 2018 17:30:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2018 22:35:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Good job John!
impressive result.
Can't wait to see this thing blink!!Laugh Wink
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2018 15:33:26(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Good job John!
impressive result.
Can't wait to see this thing blink!!Laugh Wink

Coming from you that means a lot- thanks!! ThumpUp
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR