Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jdk998  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2009 21:38:53(UTC)
jdk998

Hi,

I am relatively new to Marklin trains and am stumped by a simple problem. I have the 29481 SBB starter set that comes with the Mobile Station. I recently purchased a second-hand engine #37071 that states it is digital ready. I programmed it into the Mobile Station via the built-in database, but have been unable to get it to run. Perusing the 37071 manual, I read that the engine is digital compatible but I may have to manually set the address. I opened the engine up and there is a 6090 decoder inside. Is this compatible with the Mobile Station?
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2009 22:26:15(UTC)
Webmaster

It could be that the former owner has reprogrammed the default address that is present in the MS database. Since you say you have the manual, the manual should state which address is the default one as well as the settings of the DIP-switches on the decoder board for this address. There is no easy "plug'n'play" with 6090 as with the newer mfx decoders.

This means you will have to open the loco (remove the body) to check if the address is the default one and if not - reposition the small DIP-switches so they correspond to the address in the manual.

This is the easiest way, you can also create a new loco in the MS but I think it's easier to just check that the address corresponds to the default one.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline jdk998  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2009 22:54:36(UTC)
jdk998

Thanks that did the trick! I reset the dip switches to address 18 and edited the corresponding setting in the MS. Now I feel comfortable picking up older locos to run on the track.

Just to be sure I understand, the locos designated as MFX are plug and play while those solely identified as digital will work, but have to be manually addressed?
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2009 23:03:04(UTC)
Webmaster

Exactly. Mfx locs are "plug'n'play" while older decoders have to be handled in some way. If the older locos exist in the MS/CS database, the factory default address is assumed by MS/CS.

The trouble is when you get to extend your collection with more locos with the same default address, then you will have to start reprogramming them and do the corresponding address adjustments in the MS. It's not so difficult, you choose the original loco number and then reassign the address for that entry. But it can be a showstopper if you you are not comfortable handling the MS...

Glad to see you got it working!
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2009 23:03:34(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jdk998
<br />Just to be sure I understand, the locos designated as MFX are plug and play while those solely identified as digital will work, but have to be manually addressed?

Yes.

Long version:
Digital locos (without fx symbol) and early fx locos have DIP switches for the address, later fx locos are programmable.
The MS knows the default address if you enter the loco from the database, but cannot detect the current address.

So if the previous owner changed the address, you either have to set the loco to its default address again or adjust the address setting of the Mobile Station.

Only mfx locos register automatically.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage