Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline joeyn15  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:07:09(UTC)
joeyn15

Hi, I’m a bit of a rookie in this hobby but I wanted to give it a start and bought a marklin system (mainly from ebay) but I got stuck because the loco is not working on the rest of the system.

I bought a Marklin Hamo 8398, a huge lot of marklin M tracks, transformer and wagons. The problem is that when I connected everything the train didn’t work. Only now I got to know that Hamo trains works on DC and not AC.

I think the best thing to do is to try and convert the train to AC. I was reading that I need a pickup shoe and a lockpilot decoder. Basically I have two questions:

1. the loco has a small pickup pin on its side. Should I place the pickup shoe instead of this pin since its not really at the center of the loco?
2. what model of pickup shoe and lockpilot shall I buy since there are a number of models available for both items?

thanks
Offline tekin65  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:23:03(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by joeyn15
<br />1. the loco has a small pickup pin on its side. Should I place the pickup shoe instead of this pin since its not really at the center of the loco?
2. what model of pickup shoe and lockpilot shall I buy since there are a number of models available for both items?

Hi,

The pin is is not for pick-up. It is for using contact tracks on 2 rail layouts. On the underside between the wheels you will see a brown isolator and thin metal piece attached to it; metal piece contacting the wheels. This is the 2 rail pick-up shoe. You need to remove it and install a 3 rail pick-up shoe.

Follow the wire coming from the small brass plate underneath the pick-up shoe ... this is your plus (+) side of the current. This wire should be soldered to the plus (+) input wire of the decoder - generally red wire.

It is also better to cut and remove the contact shoe.

There are different sizes of pick-up shoes available; the one you should use is 7185.

You can use any quality decoder for this conversion. I generally use Uhlenbrock and very happy with them, you might also choose ESU LokPilot. Mind you that you need a regular decoder for Faulhaber motors - not AC motors. You'll get wiring instructions with the decoder.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline joeyn15  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2009 10:47:03(UTC)
joeyn15

hi, thanks a lot for your reply, its very useful.

would you know what model of the Uhlenbrock i should look at?

thanks
Offline tekin65  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2009 11:19:37(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by joeyn15
<br />would you know what model of the Uhlenbrock i should look at?

Sorry, that would be 76400 (with cables) or 76420 (with NEM socket). If you buy the 76420 then you should have to cut off the NEM socket.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Brakepad  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2009 18:03:25(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
You can also use 76300/76320, which are somewhat cheaper and will do the work.

When converting this loco, just make sure that the front truck is not wired, or, if it is, make sure that the wiring does not shortcircuit the decoder (this may happen sometimes with some locos, i.e. 8366).

Regards.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline James  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2009 18:40:36(UTC)
James

Canada   
Cem:

Your instructions regarding the HAMO engine were great, does this apply to non HAMO engines of USA origin? That is... do DC engines have similar constructions for conversion?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Western Pacific  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2009 20:54:28(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by James
<br />Cem:

Your instructions regarding the HAMO engine were great, does this apply to non HAMO engines of USA origin? That is... do DC engines have similar constructions for conversion?

Although not being Cem,

I believe I can help a bit even though I haven't converted any DC engines to digital, but I have converted them to analogue AC. A bit of a warning though - many European (and European protype) DC models have wheels that may work on K or C rails (there could be a need to adjust the distance between the wheels), whereas I have my doubts that an American model would work if it has RP25 wheels. (I have converted Lima and Jouef and they have even worked on M rails).

First you have to check underneath a truck if there is enough room to mount a Märklin or Roco (all according to your own choice/preference) 3R pick-up.

If the answer to this question is yes, then it is very similar to when converting a Hamo engine, however you may have to put some thinking into how to hold the pick-up in place - whether you can drill a small hole and cut e.g. an M2 thread and use a screw or whether to use superglue.

The next step would be to identify and electrically join all cables coming from the original DC pick up, which are in contact with the wheels. From there on it is just as Cem describes it to connect the cable coming from the 3R pick-up to one pole and all the DC pick-ups to the other pole feeding the decoder.
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2009 22:14:00(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and Welcome to the forum, Joeyn15.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.