Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2009 14:02:34(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Last year I purchased a Hamo that had been coverted to run Marklin Digital.. After the loco arrived I tested it on the roller stand to ensure that it ran and then I put it away until this weekend..

It was a stinking hot day today, so Miss 9 and I were in the train room and decided to give the Hamo a run.. On the track she went and was running as smooth as silk until she came to an abrupt halt. [:0][:0]

Needless to say, it took a little while to work out what was going on.. Because the layout is computer controlled it has many contact areas.. For aesthetic reasons the contact gap is on different sides of the line to hide the wiring better.

Anyway, it seems that my friend was unable to change the wheels on this loco as they are part of the bogie (can not be removed from the bogie) - so she was running the original DC wheels.. When the loco went over a contact track with the gap on the right, it was fine, but on the left it stopped as there was no earth connection to complete the circuit and keep the motor turning.. [:I]

So the lesson for today is: If you have a layout with contact tracks - you need to check that the wheel sets are AC or behaving like AC wheels. Otherwise the loco is "invisible" to the computer or will stop at every contact track with the gap on the "wring" side..

Anyway I have two solutions:
1. Find a new bogie (Drehgestell) part number 227480 - any dealers on here have one?
or
2. Use current conducting paint - where do I get this in Australia?

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Online DasBert33  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2009 16:28:18(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup

2. Use current conducting paint - where do I get this in Australia?

Hi Adrian,

I'm not in Australia, but I got my current conducting paint in an electronics (components) shop. They sold it as a means to repair PCBs. I assume shops over there will carry similar products.

I have converted my 3528 E91 to AC with current conducting paint. This is how I done it: First take a strand of thin copper wire (obtained from old speaker cables) and loop/wrap it around the loco axle on the isolated side. Twist boths ends tightly together so they form a kind of twisted pair. Cut it off so the length of the wrapped pair is about 1 cm long. In my case the loco had coupling rods on all wheels. For my method this is needed as you will need to put the twisted end in the hole in the wheel that is there to attach the coupling rods. To make sure to copper wire gives good contact fixate it with some conducting paint. Let the paint dry and check the resistance between the 2 wheels with an ohmmeter.

Probably there are other/better ways to do this, and it only works for locos with coupling rods, but I'm quite pleased with the result, and my layout is FULL of contact track.

Bert

Offline intruder  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2009 18:33:11(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
What kind of locomotive is it, Adrian?
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2009 18:54:43(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
In case you can't find it anywhere: you could order Busch 5900.
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.