Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jonquinn  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2008 03:36:59(UTC)
jonquinn

not that I am interested in buying a Marklin HO Northlander (3150) that was listed on ebay as of Oct. 31 2008, since I have a nice new Roco set, but I know I have seen Northlanders for sale on ebay over the years I have been following the online marklin auctions, with at least two different box art types.
the one I see listed right now has a mostly blue box with cellophane cutout windows. I have also seen some with paper boxes with a "woodgrain" printed on it - also with the window cutouts.

the one listed on ebay right now doesn't mention a serial number (like xxx of 5000), or have a certificate of authenticity pictured as I believe the official/real ones came with. I have heard there was some Norhtlanders (ex-3071's) made several years ago and painted by another company - almost identical I supposed to what marklin sold. I don't recall that company's name.

So is there any sorts of dead give-aways bidders should look for to make sure they are buying a "real" Northlander? At least so far the top bid isn't too high.
Offline Larry  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2008 05:41:30(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Jon - I know John Ormandy has the original Northlander with the Zertificate et al. I have no idea what he wants for it. I think you have been to his store if I'm not mistaken.
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2008 08:09:30(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi,
The "real" ones have a moving bell on top of the motor unit and pilot car, have a serial number printed underneath the motor unit, right behing the pick up bogie.
Although there were only 5000 made by Märklin, the number should read 00xxxx.
Mine is # 001057, and of couse the certificate of origin (carrying the same number!!!) is a must.
The box is blue.
Should you need any other specifics (pics, etc), just ask! (-;
Cheers

If you need any
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline jonquinn  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2008 18:23:48(UTC)
jonquinn

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Larry
<br />Jon - I know John Ormandy has the original Northlander with the Zertificate et al. I have no idea what he wants for it. I think you have been to his store if I'm not mistaken.

I was in medina OH just last week, but didn't arrive there until after 9 pm - I was thinking that's where his store was, and then I saw one of your postings which said so. I have to visit a steel plant early the next morning so I didn't get to investigate any further. Next time I am in the Cleveland area I will try to stop by his shop and check it out.

So this one ebay does have the blue box, but its not readily apparent if it has the bell on the motor unit. it might show one on the trailing car.
Offline Larry  
#5 Posted : 02 November 2008 04:24:36(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Jon - I would call before you go to Ormandy's. The owner, John Ormandy, is not there during the weekdays usually only on Sundays.