Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2004 00:31:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am trying to instal point motors with the digital control in the C track. I have a keyboard, One point motor starts to buzz and heats upo within seconds when turning on. The other just does nothing except when I change the points manuaaly it immendiately changes them back again. Have foloowed all instructions and it is driving me mad...can anyone help
Regards
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Charlie  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2004 04:15:20(UTC)
Charlie

Hello David, welcome to the group. If you do not mind, will you put your country in your profile? Doesn't really invade your privacy, and makes this forum more interesting.

Point motors are the same thing as turnout motors right?

The Digital signal provides a continous AC power, and thus the solenoids stay powered, heat up, and eventually will burn. It is similar to putting a locomotive (without a decoder built in) on Digital powered track. It will start running, and fast.

You will need a decoder for your turnouts. The digital signal from your keyboard will go to the decoder, and the decoder will give a signal to the turnout solenoid.

Charlie
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2004 10:21:48(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

David,
differently from Charlie I guess you mean decoder with your "digital control"; however it's not quite clear. And as you have something wrong, I think you had better describe your setup and connections more thoroughly. So far I can only say that you have not a wery common error, which causes me to suspect some misunderstanding or connect mistake.

Regards,
Lars
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2004 14:35:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi
Thanks for replies. I am In Scotland. I do have both the turnout motor and the digtal decoder and appear to have all wired up OK along with control unit and keyboard.
Have checked addresses and seem OK but nothing much other than as previously described happens when using keyboard. All the red leds come on the keyboard when I switch on...is this right.Could be a faulty keyboard but perhaps someone can help to ensure wiring to tranformer is OK although all the trains run fine. Have checked turnout motor and it is OKSomehow the keyboard does just not want to perform.
All help is great and I do appreciate the time taken to asssit me.
Regards
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2004 19:28:16(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hello David and all,
just for my information, what decoder are you using for your turnouts? It sound like if you have constant voltage on the decoder's output, as if you were using K84 instead of K83. Assuming you're using the right decoders (K83 or equivalent), I'd verify the output transistors of your decoder. If the are burned out, will put constant votage on the output connections, thus causing what you see. Try with an Ohmmeter to measure the resistance between collector and emitter, in both directions (switching red and black wires). You should see about 30-50 Ohms in one polarity and high resistance in the other. If you have low resistance in both directions, something is wrong, you should try to replace the transistors. Hope this can help.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2004 19:41:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi.... The decoder I am using is the 74460 which fit under the C track. I still think the prblem is with the keyboard as quite frankly the instructions that came with this were pretty poor. The decoder just does not seem to be getting the message from the keyboard. Also should all the red |Leds be on when switching on?
I have been using model railways now for twenty years with recently the Lenz system but changeg to Marklin for the qualty of the track and Locos but very disappointed that I cant use points with the digital system in particular when they fit under the track with no wiring.
Please keep the suggestions coming.
Many thanks
David
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 01 February 2004 19:54:02(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
David:

Make sure the keyboard is firmly inserted into the socket on the side of the 6021. There are clips provided to make sure this connection is tight. If one or more of the contacts are not making good, you get very unpredictable results
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2004 22:24:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks Ron. Done that as well. Still dont know if all the red leds should come on when switching on the units.

David
Offline rschaffr  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2004 22:57:17(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Oh. Well it comes up with the state it "remembers" from the last time it was used. That could be all red.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2004 23:58:18(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

A faulty keyboard could possibly send for example "red" continously to a pariticular decoder, if a button is stuck, but not possibly to several decoders. Strange. And more: the point motors have end shutoff contacts (C-track motorns, isn't it?), which would disable the heating you describe, unless there is a mechanical hinder for it to throw completely.

What happens if you press the green buttons of the keyboard? Does it get every LED go off? And if so, what happens with the point?

If you disconnect the keyboard befor power on, what happens then? Any interface or other unit present?

/Lars
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2004 00:45:08(UTC)
Webmaster

Sorry to ask these basic questions, but:
What controller are you using? A 6021? Intellibox?
Is the Keyboard firmly connected to the left side of the controller?
Are all "browns" together on the layout?
Are the track connector cables connected correctly from the decoder to the track (brown to outer rails, red to the centre stud rail)?
Is the turnout motor connected correctly to the decoder? (and not to the track itself)....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2004 01:13:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Guys. Many thanks for continued help. I use a 6021 contoller with the keyboard attached to the left and a Marklin transformer. All red leds come on but when pressing a green that particular red goes out.Interesting though is that if I disconect the keyboard and then try to change the point manually it immediately returns to its previous postion and wont change. Regarding all the wiring eg broens together etc maybe I need an explanation as to how the trnasformer, 6021 control and track should be wired. I am using curved points...which is the centre stud and the outside track connection ? I have changed without any difference. I have set the decoder at address 4 so I preume when I press four on the keyboard it should change the point. The Keyboard has all switches off for keyboard 1.
I have spent hours on what I would have thought would be easy as the trains run OK. I also tried a decoder k83 but this did not work either although I was able to test the point motor which was OK.
Again I am grateful for any help as my only other option is to post the keyboard back to Germany to have it checked and that will no doubt take a while.
Regards to all
David
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2004 01:53:38(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi David, I believe that could be important to try to determine where is the point of failure.
There are three components that could be failing (assuming the connections are ok):
The Keyboard, the Control Unit and the decoder.
You can separate the Keyboard and then power up your system and see what happens. Should the problem persist, the Keyboard is not the failing component.
Make your tests with the turnout dismounted from the layout to avoid any connection problem.
Once you've discarded the Keyboard as the problem component, try with a different decoder and no Keyboard.
In regards to track connections, brown wire goes to the terminal marked 'O' (or zero) and red goes to 'B' (Betrieb).
Should you want to have an interactive help (if I can help you...) , you can find me at 'jorge_vilarrubi@msn.com' , please remember we have some time difference.
I'm posting this reply at 21:00 local (Argentina) time. I believe we are GMT + 4, please check this.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#14 Posted : 02 February 2004 09:24:17(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well David,
to me it seems the keyboard could hardly be the cause. If the red led goes out there can't possibly be a signal going at; no stuck button as I suspected. And the disconnect exercise confirmed that; if you do that there is no itme able of transmitting any point commands present.

So there seems to be some cabling error, or bad contacts etc somwhere between the decoder and the point motor. Did you say that using a k83 instead of an under trackbed decoder, gave exactly the same behaviour? What happens then if you try to control the turnout motor with analog current.

It might be important to connect the decoder correctly even if I don't think this is the simpel cause of your problem. You can see which connector is which if you just study a pieced of track; but there is also a faint marking with B and 0 underneath.

Regards,
Lars
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2004 13:38:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Guys

Many thanks for replies. Tried everything I think. Transformer to contoller is wired Yellow to Yellow and Brown to Brown. Contoller to track is Brown to Brown and Red to Red. Digital decoder is plugged in to turnout and then the red and brown wires attached to track. The turnouts buzz and heat up even with the keyboard detached. Other times they just do nothing. Turnouts seem OK and it is unlikely that two new decoders are faulty. Have reached the end of the road timewise on this and am considering buying an Intellibox which sems to do everything. Is this a good idea.
Regards
David
Offline hqstu  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2004 13:49:44(UTC)
hqstu

New Zealand   
Hi David,
Have you verified the correct operation of the turnout in pure analogue terms? i.e. remove the decoder and test the turnout just with a transformer, connect the yellow wire to yellow terminal L and (in turn) either blue wire to brown terminal B. At the same time have the track connected to B to rule out short between the blues and the track (hard to imagine with C track I suppose?)
Cheers

Stuart
New Zealand
Offline Thanos  
#17 Posted : 02 February 2004 14:09:42(UTC)
Thanos

Hi David:

I really can't go through all responses to see if somebody gave the same answer with me. Sometime ago I was getting a buzz with a C track turnout and If I remember correctly there was a short circuit somewhere along my cabling. Have you connected the red and brown cables of the decoder to "B" and "O" respectively on the track? Have you checked this?
Thanos

Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 02 February 2004 14:20:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks but as per my last post I have checked all the wiring dozens of times. The turnouts are OK in analogue. I have just given up on working turnouts on the Marklin system.
Regards
David
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#19 Posted : 02 February 2004 14:48:14(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

The Intellibox IS a good idea, but I doubt it will solve your problem. With the keyboard disconnected (and the 6021 rebooted) and the problem remaining, I'm convinced that the problem lies in the point motor, or the connection between the motor and the decoder. But very strange that it works OK with the analog cable and connection. What happens if you have the decoder connected to the motor, but disconnected to track? What happens if you press green and red buttons on keyboard, does the buzzing turnout throw? When it buzzes, what happens if you switch int manually? The interal end shutoff contact should disallow any buzzing when finished even if the decoder doesn't shutoff properly. Or you've got a short somewhere.

/Lars

Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 02 February 2004 16:00:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thnks Lars but I have given up on this for the present. I have ordered a 7271 control box as the turnout motors seem OK and will work these manually for the present.
Having removed all my old DC track and sold my Lenz control system I will concentrate on laying track and running some trains and at least get some fun. Many thanks to all who have tried to help and I hope to post on a regular basis and read other items to keep up to date with the latest from Marklin. I changed because I like the track and the models are of better quailty than Roco etc.
Best wishes
David
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#21 Posted : 02 February 2004 19:42:51(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi David, don´t give up!
There is another possibility: the metal box of the turnout motor can touch the metal plate under the pukos. At the same time, there is an inherent problem in these motors: the flange of the metal box, at the end of the motor where the wires are connected, can sometimes touch the track in the PCB corresponding to the yellow cable. When turnouts are operated in analog mode, this can lead to a damage in the output transistors of the 6021, because AC is fed to Red output. Maybe this can cause other problems in digital mode. I discovered this the hard way, when my IB was damaged. I isolated all motors from the puko's plate and twisted the metal flange of the motor box to avoid contact with the PCB.
Did you test the motor and decoder dismounted from the turnout? This could indicate if you have a bad connection via the puko plate.
So far we know that the Keyboard is not responsible for the problem, since you have the same failure when detached.
We have only to components under suspicion: the decoder or the 6021. (assuming no errors in the connections)
Try some more testing with both motor and decoder detached from the turnout and with more than one decoder. If the failure persists, you should try a test with another 6021.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline Nuno  
#22 Posted : 02 February 2004 21:27:52(UTC)
Nuno

Dear David

In one of your previous answers you asked which connection was related to the central wire and which was to the track. This is fundamental. It may work in either way you plug in, if you don't have anything else plugged (I think), but if you have everything on, you must really plug the red into the central stud, which is the one that is "shorter".

Cheers,

Nuno Smile
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 02 February 2004 21:38:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks again for your help. However I am now laying track and getting some trains running which will take some time as my layout is fairly large. With the 6021 doing all it should with the locos I presume it is OK and I dont have another one to try it.
This is a great site and I have been very pleased with the numbers who have replied and offered help. I have been in model railways for over twenty years now but only just change to Marklin so will learn the system as I go along. I will leave the point motors for now and return to them at a later date.
One final question which someone may know..is it possible to convert Trix DC locos to run on C track three rail by changing pick ups etc.
Best wishes to all
David
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#24 Posted : 02 February 2004 22:27:17(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Hello again David,
save Jorges answer for future use. It fits.

About the trix engines: it's not too difficult to give it a try. The question is about physical size: to fit a slider, and a decoder. Decoders nowadays are small.

The wheel contacts are connected together of course in this mode, forming the track ground. The motor most probably is a DC motor, which allows for good decoders with speed regulation. As the motor is a little bit unknown, I would try the ESU Lokpilot, which allows for 6021 operation, but also programmable characterisics if you can borrow a DCC central, like the Intellibox. There are several other possible candidates, but I have no personal experience of them.

Please note that the gaugue differs about 0.1 mm between 2R and 3R tracks; so you might get some problems at turnouts. But C track gives you the best chance to avoid it I think.

Regards,
Lars
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2004 23:53:13(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi David, DC locos run perfectly on C track if you use R3 as a minimum and 12° long turnouts. I have several Rocos, Fleischamnns, Trix, Katos, Liliputs, Brawas, all running ok. The only problem could be to have enough room for pickup and decoder, as Lars indicated.
Uhlenbrock 76520 decoder is smaller than LokPilot, with similar characteristics. Both can be programmed with a 6021.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA