Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2004 20:06:15(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi,

In my layout (conventional control) I have the catenary connected to a separate train transformer (an old 16 VA 6551). My Krokodil 3356 starts running only when the speed control knob is turned more than half on the right. The loco needs the two both pantographs up, but I would like to have one pantograph only. What may I do?

With best regards!
Stefano
Offline digilox1  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2004 14:18:13(UTC)
digilox1

Stefano,
You might want to give it a proper brake in period and some cleaning,
in order to get better slow speed response.
The factory installed three-pole AC motor îsn`t a marvel running
smoothness anyhow.

Your catenary problem is common to most digitalized locos whether
operated conventionally or digitally.

Manufacturers do not recommend running digitalized locos with the catenary system operational, because of the inherently bad pick up
and the limited failure correction capabilities of the decoders.
Offline Rocca  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2004 20:21:52(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi,

How may I clean the catenary?
Alcool is good?
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
<br />Stefano,
You might want to give it a proper brake in period and some cleaning,
in order to get better slow speed response.

May I damnage the loco decoder? If this is the case, I will run to the pick up with this loco too!! I like my Kroko very much!!

Thank you for the help

Quote:

Manufacturers do not recommend running digitalized locos with the catenary system operational, because of the inherently bad pick up
and the limited failure correction capabilities of the decoders.

Offline McLae  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2004 00:26:56(UTC)
McLae

With a cat brush. wink

Cotton with Goo-Gone(tm), alchol, acetone (nail polish remover)or some petroleum-based cleaners. I recommend you set up a test section. Make sure to clean up any extra cleaner.

Don't forget to clean the track, ground contact is also important.

Running Loks with catenary up and power from rails will also clean some. Maybe attach a cloth to pantograph and run some.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Rocca  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2004 13:52:09(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi,

I have another question!!! Excuse me!!biggrin
May I damnage the loco decoder with using the catenary? If this is the case, I will run to the pick up with this loco too!! I like my Kroko very much!!

Thank you for the help

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by McLae
<br />With a cat brush. wink

Cotton with Goo-Gone(tm), alchol, acetone (nail polish remover)or some petroleum-based cleaners. I recommend you set up a test section. Make sure to clean up any extra cleaner.

Don't forget to clean the track, ground contact is also important.

Running Loks with catenary up and power from rails will also clean some. Maybe attach a cloth to pantograph and run some.
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2004 16:35:22(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
No, you won't hurt your decoder by running from catenary. It will not operate well if there is bad contact, but it will not be damaged.
Offline Rocca  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2004 18:02:56(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Thank you very much!!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by perz
<br />No, you won't hurt your decoder by running from catenary. It will not operate well if there is bad contact, but it will not be damaged.

Offline rschaffr  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2004 20:39:00(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I'm running several digital E-loks from the Catenary (I use Viessmann) without any problems. I intend to run them all from cantenary, but am currently working on scenery in the station area so the catenary wires are removed, thus limiting where the E-loks can go. Because of this I have temporarly put a number of them back on the shoe.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline john black  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2004 01:21:31(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by digilox1
and the limited failure correction capabilities of the decoders ...

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - Had to read this twice, still can't believe it. Now they build catenary systems and beautyful digital electro locos - with pantographs!!! - but "Dear Customer, don't ever use cat & panto together operational because ..."
Do they really recommend such, seriously, no kidding ??????

Would be the same if automaker XXX gave us that beautyful new 4x4 saying: "Well, we proudly introduce that nice Off-Roader, but never ever go off-road with it" - they could close doors next day biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#10 Posted : 07 July 2004 02:40:06(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I run most of my E-loks exclusivly on the catenary and have smooth operations and no interruptions. When I complete the catenary installation on the upper level, they will all be on catenary. I have found that the loks I run off the pickup shoes have frequent power interruptions on points and crossovers.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline tnx jake  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2004 05:59:18(UTC)
tnx jake

Well I have run digital e-locks with the old Marklin catenary for years with no problems. In fact less problems than with track that gets dirty. I don't know why Marklin makes this recommendation. At the Marklin Museum and at the Nuremberg Toy Fair, they go one step further. They don't even raise the pantographs on their layouts. I don't understand where they are coming from.

Jack
Offline john black  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2004 13:17:22(UTC)
john black

United States   
Funny ... biggrin But many thanks for information, anyway
John
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Gregor  
#13 Posted : 08 July 2004 12:46:02(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Quite often you see on demo layouts that the pantographs are down. This is probably to reduce the risk of trains 'hanging' themselves when the pantograph loose contact, flip up, and catch the next support. (Only happens when catenary is poorly constructed).

Has anyone tried to improve contact by feeding digital locs both from the shoe and the pantograph ? (Requires some soldering in the loc).

Best regards,
Gregor
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 08 July 2004 17:42:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hahaha, wouldn't look that good for M at a Toy Fair their priceless locos hanging in the wire like Little Kitty in the fence biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline McLae  
#15 Posted : 09 July 2004 02:03:03(UTC)
McLae

I think the restriction on running on overhead power is from the DC folks. DC Loks have problems running from overhead due to polarity problems (typical of 2-rail[:p]).
If the left wheel is 'ground'(brown) and the pantograph is 'power'(red), what happens when the Lok goes through a reversing loop? Now the left wheel is the right wheel, and no ground![:(] Yet another reason to run AC E-Loks.biggrin

The DC folks have the trick of detatching the spring on the pantographs. The panographs will float just below the catenary, but not make constant contact. LooksCool like the Lok is using the overhead.
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline john black  
#16 Posted : 09 July 2004 02:09:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Well, and no problems with induction ?????

Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 09 July 2004 02:29:05(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I think this is just another good point for AC
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL