Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline monster134  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2008 15:05:56(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
This is baffling me no end.Right,where to start?I bought this Class 18.1 C...was 3614 if i remember right.It ran on address 20 and i had it on my mobile station at first and then onto the Central station.I packed the mobile station away.

I traded this loco with Koert for another BR41 and all was dandy.I ran the 3614 around my layout here before he took it.It went lovely.

He took it home,and his CS is in for repair so he is using the old 6021 or whatever they call it.The one with all the little colored buttons....nada,the train did not want to register or run on adress 20.

So he whipped his mobile station out....adress 20,still nothing.I thought that maybe between here and his place it fell or something and that was that.He brought it back here yesterday,we put it on my layout...it goes awesomely.

So how do you smart people explain this?Can a train only be registered on adress 20 a certain amount of times,or (as i would believe)is 20 20????biggrinbiggrin

Anyone had this before?Thanx in advance.
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2008 15:14:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Riekus,

Open the tender and check the DIP switches for the MM address. 3614 has one of the older 6080 decoders, where the address is set manually using the switches on the decoder itself. This address is what the 6021 control has to be set to.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline monster134  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2008 15:46:33(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Ta Ray.The adress is 20.Runs on my mobile station on 20 and on my CS as 20.

But it wont run on Koert's mobile station at that adress.All his other trains are running fine,so its not a wiring problem at his place.

It runs neither on his MS nor his 6021.You pack it in the box....bring it back here,it works fine.

Maybe it likes it here...biggrinbiggrin
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline DasBert33  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2008 15:53:02(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Eh maybe the 2 wires (red, brown) to the track are swapped. Older decoders are sensitive to polarity while newer ones are not. That could explain why the other trains are still running and the new one (with old decoder) is not.

Bert
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 29 September 2008 21:03:10(UTC)
Webmaster

Regarding the 6021, if running with the DIP switches 1,2 & 3 on - the LME03 chip (which it is in the 3614) in the decoder will not understand what's on the track.

I did some thorough testing with the 6021 many years ago, and the 3614 was the LME03 loco I used...
See https://www.marklin-user...tal/6021dipsettings.html

DIP 1,2,3 on is the optimum setting for newer decoders (6090 and onwards) but older stuff have problems with that setting...

I suppose your friend should select 3614 from the MS database and then change the address of that entry to 20. First make sure no other loco has 20, which also might be the case here... I suppose the MS database contains the protocol parameters for the really old decoders too, so if you have a "modern" loco on the address 20 - it may as well simulate "6021 1,2,3 On"... I suspect the MS sets the "new" MM protocol by default when registering an ad-hoc address...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2008 21:28:57(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />I suspect the MS sets the "new" MM protocol by default when registering an ad-hoc address...

The MS uses the "new" MM protocol but with a long pause (corresponding to 6021 dip switch 3 off or longer) between packets.

I haven't checked what it sends if you register a 3614.
Offline perz  
#7 Posted : 29 September 2008 22:41:37(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Now I have checked. If I select 3614 and change the address to 20, the MS sends "new" Motorola packets on address 20, with a spacing of approximately 6.1 ms. So the MS isn't smart enough (not mine at least) to switch to the "old" Motorola format for the old loks. This might be different between MS program versions. Mine says 1.0 4010.
Offline monster134  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2008 21:43:46(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
HA!!!!Bert hit the nail on the head.Swopped his wires just now(i did not read the posts last night-and trust me,we tried everything last nightbiggrin)and off it went smoking its wheels over the horizon.

Thanx for all the replies guys.Much appreciated.