Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mascagni  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2008 04:53:14(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: I am putting a layout together on the floor of a room set aside for this purpose, and have been having problems with turnout decoders. I am using an IB at the moment, and have mostly Viessmann turnout decoders (the ones that fit underneath C-track). However, I have two Maerklin decoders as well. All the Viessmann decoders are working, but the Maerklin decoders will not activate. When I pick up the track and hook them up to the IB's programming track, the Maerklin ones do work, but back in the layout, nothing. As far as I can tell, the Maerklin decoders are no farther electrically than the Viessmann decoders. Comments, consolations, suggestions?--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2008 05:11:24(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Pesronally I have > 50% failures of the "under roadbed" C-Track point decoders.

I do put this down to a bit of carpet-bahn plugging and unplugging during testing - excessive handling, not securing etc. But was disappointed and to scared to secure them in place because of the hassle to change them.

I am referring to the M 74460 - so am confused by your reference to the programming track

More practically if any pair of the address switches (1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8) are BOTH ON you will get a short situation.
Peter
Offline mascagni  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2008 14:58:47(UTC)
mascagni

Hi: The programming track is just very close to the power/signal source. Since I use it to set the addresses of the Viessmann decoders, I also used it to check the Maerklin decoders.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2008 15:53:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Michael. Not much use to you but my 26 decoders have been under my C track for years and have never failed.

Make sure they are firmly in place and if need be put some tape over the decoder to hold it from coming away from the pins in the C track.
Even a thin piece of card to stop the decoder coming in contact with the carpet could help.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline plavnostruev  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2008 20:12:18(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Michael,

One thing to check is proper connection to your layout from IB.
If you cross red and brown wires, most decoders will still work fine,
but some (older ones) will not.

Mike
Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2008 01:25:20(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have under track decoders on my grandson's carpetbahn (great application for them...makes them a magic turnout) but on my Era III layout with C-track I used all under board Marklin and Viessmann decoders so I could get to them easily if there is a problem.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html