Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trainman64!  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2024 04:14:26(UTC)
Trainman64!

United States   
Thank you for the add. First post.

I recently purchased a Marklin analog crocodile. Ran nice. Thought I’d buy some led headlights. They needed to be inserted from the inside out, but they weren’t a problem. Old ones were bayonet (two ears). This one had the wider base so it needed to get out through the back side first.

They lit up nicely but now my loco hums (solenoid chatters ) and train won’t move. I thought perhaps resistance thru bulb might be the issue so I put the old ones back. Same issue. Motor gears spin when i manually turn them. Reverse current flips back and forth but no running.

Ideas??
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2024 04:24:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The analog Be 6/8 or Ce 6/8 had lights where the live was via cable and the return was via the metal chassis. If converting to LEDs, you will need to run wires for both to and from the decoder or reverse unit.

Also, Crocodiles from before 2000 are known to have issues with hardened oil. I was able to track mine down to a seized drive wheel (the one that is connected to the crank shaft only). I need to send mine to be cleaned/repaired

To see if you have the same problem, you can detach the side rods and see whether the loco moves. Don't push the loco as you can damage the side rods if you do.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Trainman64!  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2024 04:55:02(UTC)
Trainman64!

United States   
So with the bulbs removed or the other ones put back I still have the same issue with the humming I can turn the flywheel manually and everything moves freely and of course the rear trucks are spinning nicely. Will this run with the bulbs removed?
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2024 08:38:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Which model is this? 3056, 3356, or 3556?

Mike C
Offline Trainman64!  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2024 14:26:30(UTC)
Trainman64!

United States   
Hey Mike, thanks it’s the 3056.
Offline BenP  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2024 20:17:24(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Trainman64! Go to Quoted Post
So with the bulbs removed or the other ones put back I still have the same issue with the humming I can turn the flywheel manually and everything moves freely and of course the rear trucks are spinning nicely. Will this run with the bulbs removed?

These old 3056 often have gunk in gears. Another issue is the motor drive and small metal machined piece in truck that center motor shaft. Mine slides out after a while and croc stops moving with all functions fine otherwise. Check for both.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2024 00:16:01(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Because the Loco ran (apparently) well prior to first fitting the LED's, that would likely rule out any pre-existing condition such as hardened oil etc. It's always important to begin diagnosis with known facts.

If it did indeed run well before the change, I'm leaning towards something disturbed during the change. Something with the reverse unit, a trapped wire, etc.

Are you in a position to post a video showing the operation of it with the housing and LED's removed?

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Trainman64!  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2024 03:53:56(UTC)
Trainman64!

United States   
So I brought the train to the bench. Got my can of compressed air. Slight puff by the wheels / gears. Voila. Out pops the carbon brush from the side of the armature!!! I’ll be damned. A bit of studying the opposite spring / clip and with my tweezers I re-secured the brush and popped the teeny spring back into place.

Back to the track, and BAM. SMOOTH as silk.

Go figure. Nothing to do with leds after all. Just probably me fat fingering the motor while taking nose(s) off I guess.

Anyway, thank you for the advice! I did clean up a bit while it was open. It looks like it has had very little use. I’m thankful.

Thomas.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Trainman64!