Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zeeboo04  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2024 17:35:51(UTC)
Zeeboo04

I have a question on AC and DC. I was given the Roco set 7487 passenger cars a ways back for my Marklin digital engine. They were purchased in error and are DC unfortunately. The cars in the set are all current conducting connectors and I suppose they plug into a Roco engine to power them. Not totally sure. I was never able to return the set or sell it so I have it packed away. Recently I purchased the Roco 74039 AC set with a control cab which takes the power from the tracks. All of the cars have the same specific current conducting plugs as the DC version but this set as I stated before has a control cab with a pickup shoe for power. My question is probably a very stupid one but I thought I would ask just in case. Could I plug the DC cars into the AC ones? If the power is coming from the AC cars would that work or would that fry the DC set out? The connectors, car size and wheel base seem to be the same for both sets.

Cheers,
Peter
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2024 18:10:30(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Probably best put up some pictures showing the couplings
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2024 18:41:15(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The first set must be 74087; not 7487 Cool

I Google'd and found that the 74039 set has a build in decoder; which means that the output to the lights must be DC Cool

I have never had the things in my hands; but I'm 99% sure it will work; but I can't guarantee anything........ BigGrin

https://www.roco.cc/rde/...tlg-set-railjet-obb.html

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Vinedusk  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2024 22:26:39(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Zeeboo04;669394
<snip> Go to Quoted Post

English version of 74087

Scroll down to the User Instructions part and read the pdf. If you read the top of the page, AC wheel sets are listed as 40196 and the couplings 130444. So the set has been produced for use with AC.
I'd contact a Roco dealer to confirm it.

Edited by user 26 January 2024 23:48:53(UTC)  | Reason: quote fail

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Vinedusk
Offline Zeeboo04  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2024 22:46:18(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Probably best put up some pictures showing the couplings
. coupler.jpg. Sorry they are a bit blurry but as you can see they look identical. I didnt detach the AC unit for a pict of the female end. These couplers feel like they will break if I pull too hard. I hope thats not the case....but.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zeeboo04
Offline Zeeboo04  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2024 22:50:44(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

The first set must be 74087; not 7487 Cool

I Google'd and found that the 74039 set has a build in decoder; which means that the output to the lights must be DC Cool

I have never had the things in my hands; but I'm 99% sure it will work; but I can't guarantee anything........ BigGrin

Per.

Cool

Yes sorry about that. I mistyped the model # of the first set. So what do you think could happen if I just try and connect one of the DC cabs to the AC cab as a test? Could it damage either of them?
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 25 January 2024 23:15:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Zeeboo04 Go to Quoted Post
So what do you think could happen if I just try and connect one of the DC cabs to the AC cab as a test? Could it damage either of them?

Vinedusk have a good point; try if you can find a Roco dealer and ask Cool

I can't promise you anything; but if it was my set I would try Blink

Which controller type are you using? If it is a transformer, you could start with the lowest possible voltage and the slowly increase.......

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Zeeboo04  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2024 16:36:54(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: Zeeboo04 Go to Quoted Post
So what do you think could happen if I just try and connect one of the DC cabs to the AC cab as a test? Could it damage either of them?

Vinedusk have a good point; try if you can find a Roco dealer and ask Cool

I can't promise you anything; but if it was my set I would try Blink

Which controller type are you using? If it is a transformer, you could start with the lowest possible voltage and the slowly increase.......

Per.

Cool

I have the Marklin Central Station 3 for a controller. I purchased the AC cars from AJCKIDS. Maybe they know if it will work. My wife bought the DC cars from a small mom and pop shop up in Canada that Im pretty sure doesn't have any support. Ill try and do more research on it and if I get the guts to just do it I'll post the results. Its such an expensive set I dont want to damage it.

Offline mvd71  
#9 Posted : 26 January 2024 16:44:26(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Do the DC cars have any sort of decoder built in to control the lighting? If not then I would expect them to work just fine when plugged into the AC set. However, as others have said, check with a Roco dealer. The problem with modern electronic components is that you seldom get two goes before the smoke escapes.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Zeeboo04  
#10 Posted : 26 January 2024 17:09:17(UTC)
Zeeboo04

Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Do the DC cars have any sort of decoder built in to control the lighting? If not then I would expect them to work just fine when plugged into the AC set. However, as others have said, check with a Roco dealer. The problem with modern electronic components is that you seldom get two goes before the smoke escapes.
. I dont believe it has a decoder. The only thing I can find online is in the spare parts section it mentions that it has an interior light board. Not sure if that is a decoder. It states that the lighting is digitally switchable in the advertisement for it. Ill keep poking around.

Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 26 January 2024 17:53:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Send an email to info(at)moba.cc and perhaps somebody from Roco will get back to you

DC vs AC coaches can have several differences:

1) AC models with lighting normally have to be equipped to withstand the higher voltage of the inversion pulse (23VAC)
2) DC models with lighting are normally designed for a voltage of 0-14 DC as direction change is done by inversion of the poles (+/-)
With LEDs, this may mean that AC and DC models have slightly different PC boards with the LEDs mounted.

3) The AC set might work with coach power obtained from the pilot coach
4) The DC set might work with power from both the pilot coach and the locomotive (if the current conducting couplers also exist between the loco and leading coach)

I know, for example, that the Liliput (Stadler) KISS model add-on coaches were the same with non-insulated wheelsets included for AC operation, but the main sets were different.
IDK if that was only the built in sliders and wheelsets or whether there was more to it.
Your best bet other than asking Roco might be to download the instructions for the DC and corresponding AC model to see what differences exist in the descriptions. It may be in the description but also in the spare parts list (if provided). You can find those at www.roco.cc

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline 1borna  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2024 20:51:25(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
DC wagons have insulated wheels and AC does not have insulation, the difference is also in the distance between the wheels.
DC via the wheels collects electricity at 2 places from the railway with 2 wires while AC does it from all wheels and on one wire.
I would advise you to try to sell that DC set before doing any work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Zeeboo04  
#13 Posted : 15 February 2024 21:05:19(UTC)
Zeeboo04

I wrote to Roco's tech support several weeks ago and I finally got a response. I asked if the Roco DC set would work connected to my Roco AC set on my Markling digital Central station. They responded saying ..."This is possible if the correct AC axels are used - no current draw in the bogies - the AC axels are specified in the operating instructions - 40196."

I guess if I replace all of the axels on the DC set with the 40196 axels, the DC set will work with the AC set. Thats good to know. Ultimately, I would have loved to sell the set, but I've tried for months to sell them and even dropped them down $100 below what I was told they were purchased for. Not a bite. I think at this stage Ill just add them to the AC cars.
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 16 February 2024 04:10:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Check with Reynauld's if they have an AC set that they would be willing to swap for your DC set. You may have to pay a little bit extra, but as long as the models are in good condition, I don't see why they might not work with you.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c