Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline heinrichhess  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2023 23:59:35(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
im looking for ho models 3 rail of the commodore vanderbilt, dreyfuss hudson and mercury i ave found large scale and 2 rail in ho
mercury.jpgcomador.jpgdreyfuss hudson.jpg

hess
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2023 01:22:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Good luck from a big US rail fan here. These are amazing locos but I am not aware of any 3-rail versions.

Hopefully I am wrong and someone will correct me. ThumpUp

Good luck!

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2023 22:38:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
The commodore vanderbilt JUST came out in 2 rail for the first time as a good commercially available model from Broadway Limited. I've seen it, and it is absolutely fantastic.

I have to wonder how hard a 3 rail conversion would be. Thoughts:

1- Electrically no problem, join the outer rail pickups and solder in a new center rail feeder
2- Mounting the pickup shoe I'd have to look at, I think the tender bogies are the only logical place to do so. Probably not terribly hard
3- Track behavior is the hard part:
- If you aren't running C track, I think its out of the question on anything more than an oval without turnouts, crossings etc.
- remember it is for 18" or greater radius.
- You will want to adjust axle spacing to the AC 13.8mm (easy with the correct tools)
- Assuming all of that works out fine, then you are good, but any surprise issues will be very difficult to fix/correct. Keep in mind the
manufacturer would not have tested anything for AC tolerances/flanges etc or marklin trackage

Hope that helps?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline heinrichhess  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2023 23:56:36(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   

hess
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline heinrichhess  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2023 00:12:34(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
The commodore vanderbilt JUST came out in 2 rail for the first time as a good commercially available model from Broadway Limited. I've seen it, and it is absolutely fantastic.

I have to wonder how hard a 3 rail conversion would be. Thoughts:

1- Electrically no problem, join the outer rail pickups and solder in a new center rail feeder
2- Mounting the pickup shoe I'd have to look at, I think the tender bogies are the only logical place to do so. Probably not terribly hard
3- Track behavior is the hard part:
- If you aren't running C track, I think its out of the question on anything more than an oval without turnouts, crossings etc.
- remember it is for 18" or greater radius.
- You will want to adjust axle spacing to the AC 13.8mm (easy with the correct tools)
- Assuming all of that works out fine, then you are good, but any surprise issues will be very difficult to fix/correct. Keep in mind the
manufacturer would not have tested anything for AC tolerances/flanges etc or marklin trackage

Hope that helps?

Thanks out side my skill set how ever adapting a shell to fit a BR 78 is in my skill set

78.jpg
Offline heinrichhess  
#6 Posted : 04 August 2023 23:51:11(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
just won a Rivarossi HO Streamlined Hudson so time for my firs 3 rail conversion Crying

hudson dryford.jpg

hess
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2023 01:37:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Wow - that is one beautiful locomotive, well worthy of a conversion.

Good luck and please share your outcome. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2023 17:05:03(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

I thought I'd update this thread, as I bought a Broadway Limited Commodore Vanderbilt LOL I couldn't help myself

The locomotive is fantastic. As to conversion, I don't think it would be terribly hard (caveat- I did not open it to confirm this on the electronics end). My concern would be the RP25 DC profile wheelsets. Not a chance with M track, K maybe?, C would be your best shot due to the smaller rail profile.

The loco body and tender shell are metal, and it has some heft, so it tracks well- I'd just make sure that trackage itself is flawless.

Unrelated- I know Marklin and BLI shared costs on the UP 844 project, it was funny to see the packaging for this locomotive practically being a Marklin box!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline heinrichhess  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2023 20:11:31(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I thought I'd update this thread, as I bought a Broadway Limited Commodore Vanderbilt LOL I couldn't help myself

The locomotive is fantastic. As to conversion, I don't think it would be terribly hard (caveat- I did not open it to confirm this on the electronics end). My concern would be the RP25 DC profile wheelsets. Not a chance with M track, K maybe?, C would be your best shot due to the smaller rail profile.

The loco body and tender shell are metal, and it has some heft, so it tracks well- I'd just make sure that trackage itself is flawless.

Unrelated- I know Marklin and BLI shared costs on the UP 844 project, it was funny to see the packaging for this locomotive practically being a Marklin box!

i brought a Rivarossi Hudson the whees would work may be swap them over

roisy.jpg
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2023 20:28:48(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Those wheels might be marginally better, but in theory would give you the same trouble. RP25 (the DC standard) flanges are much smaller/shorter/"less deep" than Marklin's

I run DC for american prototype, so my loco is good to go as-is
SBB Era 2-5
Offline heinrichhess  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2023 11:02:02(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
hhd.jpg

hess
Offline joseluisvalde  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2023 19:09:49(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   

I have that BLI Commodore Vanderbilt locomotive converted to 3 rails, and some others. They work perfectly on via C Marklin.

Regards

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joseluisvalde
Offline joseluisvalde  
#13 Posted : 27 September 2023 20:45:21(UTC)
joseluisvalde

Spain   
5HorizonsRR wrote:

"- I know Marklin and BLI shared costs on the UP 844 project, it was funny to see the packaging for this locomotive practically being a Marklin box!"

Yes, it seems that there was a Marklin / BLI collaboration especially over the dynamic smoke issue.
I bought the Marklin UP 844 and the problems I had with the smoke made Marklin ask me to return it (after two repairs) and they returned my money, because they did not guarantee a good result.
I now have a BLI UP 844 that works perfectly with smoke.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joseluisvalde