Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pronto5  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2023 00:26:32(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
I recently used a track cleaning fluid on my Marklin C-track layout. While the Marklin ICE2 runs perfectly, the steam locomotive, a type 01 by Marklin is literally slipping. I realized that the track was very slightly slippery but that the cleaner has dried now. I had used a cleaning car (blue mini freight car by Marklin, with pads on bottom).

But the passenger car set 43917, is actually making slight squeaking or metal turning sounds which they didn't use to. I also notice that the passenger cars take more effort to push by hand. I figure to first clean the axles of dust and cat hair. But I think a light, probably synthetic lubricant, would also be useful to have on hand. I don't have any lubricants yet, you see, so this is a good time to acquire at least one light lubricant for axles.

What do you recommend? Marklin has this very vague "oil for locomotives and cars" but it has no details whatsoever as to if its even real or synthetic oil. It looks like Labelle has a large range of lubricants.

Let me know if you can.

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well.

Can
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pronto5
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2023 01:34:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Can,

We don't know what the Märklin oil is made from but as a manufacturer I trust them on this.
It works well for me.
In fact I am surprized at how long the little applicator bottle works.
My bottle of oil has been used on 100's of articles and I have purchased only 2 in 18 years of running Märklin trains.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2023 01:53:55(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Not sure what you used to clean the tracks but nothing should leave a residue on the surface. I have used isopropyl alcohol which evaporates immediately. As for lubricant, an light oil will do but the Marklin one is excellent. You need to use very, very little. Just the tiniest drop from the fine needle in the slight depression the axle sets in. I have even read that the best way is to remove the wheel set and dip the two ends into oil. But that seems to be more of a pain than practicable. I have always felt that the best lubricant would be graphite. I have used it while building small cars used in something the Cub Scouts run called "Pinewood Derby" but am concerned about the graphite which is a conductor getting on the rails.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2023 04:00:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Cat hair ? looks to me like a big problem, not so much for your passenger cars but for your locos

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline thing fish  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2023 11:42:38(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Can Merhaba,

I've been using Faller oil for loco and car axles; it's just great. Fleischmann oil is very good also.

Cem.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2023 12:16:36(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Can
Originally Posted by: Pronto5 Go to Quoted Post
But the passenger car set 43917, is actually making slight squeaking or metal turning sounds which they didn't use to. I also notice that the passenger cars take more effort to push by hand. I figure to first clean the axles of dust and cat hair. But I think a light, probably synthetic lubricant, would also be useful to have on hand. I don't have any lubricants yet, you see, so this is a good time to acquire at least one light lubricant for axles.

Very often the squeaking is coming from contact springs (ground return) in this case a mini drop of Märklin oil is good I use a serynge.
The same apply to the axle top of wheel sets when purchasing a car (recommended by Märklin).
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2023 12:36:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I don't mind a tiny squeak. I've been using a light silicone oil and it lasts longer. Very sparingly use it.
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2023 12:36:55(UTC)
bph

Norway   
personally, I use this on axes that touch plastic etc : Faller 70488 Teflon lubricant

And in locomotives, I use this on metal gears etc: Faller 170489 Special oiler.

the main reason I use these are the fine application tip and availability locally.

I believe Labelle has something similar in their range: probably Labelle 102 and 107.

the Märklin oil is made by www.fuchs.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Pronto5  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2023 21:40:16(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Cat hair ? looks to me like a big problem, not so much for your passenger cars but for your locos

John

I have a setup on a wooden floor, not on a table unfortunately. But I make sure the equipment is as clean as possible. I have one cat but she is well-behaved; unfortunately, she is shedding a lot since about the last 6 months, being over 20 years old and a Siamese (who live longest from what I hear). So it is a problem but mainly of stuff wrapping around the wheels, which takes time to remove. So I use tweezers and also cleaning cars (Marklin's own), and vacuum the tracks.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pronto5
Offline Pronto5  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2023 21:42:42(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Can

The same apply to the axle top of wheel sets when purchasing a car (recommended by Märklin).

Where is the "axle top" exactly? I am unsure since axle's are horizontal metal bars basically. BigGrin
Offline Pronto5  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2023 21:48:18(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Not sure what you used to clean the tracks but nothing should leave a residue on the surface.

Actually, it is a track cleaner, clear, but it dried quickly. So there is no residue now. The problem I noticed also is, that my steam locomotive by Marklin has its drive wheels slipping in certain areas of the track (spinning in place while moving forward at much less than its typical speed). It never did this before. It seems to be struggling to pull the same 5 passenger cars which it pulled effortlessly when first acquired last May. I will try to clean the car axles and also clean the loco wheels to see if that makes any difference.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Pronto5
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 06 March 2023 22:24:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Can

Where is the "axle top" exactly? I am unsure since axle's are horizontal metal bars basically. BigGrin

Sorry, I meant on recent Märklin wagons, the wheelsets are mounted on a steel bar with conical extremities. So a tiny drop of oil on the cone top before first use.

Of course I was not speaking about older Märklin bearing ("Blunt axles" before 1950 and needle head axles after that) which require periodic lubrication.

Regarding oily residue on track, they may come from multiple sources
- the track cleaning using smoke fluid / SR24 and many others may leave an oily residue which ruins traction tires and collect dust on rails
- excess lubrication of axles. Many use excessive amounts of oil which leads to poor ground contact on locos and contamination of rails. Except M rails, no oil should be there

Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 07 March 2023 00:59:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
It seems to be struggling to pull the same 5 passenger cars which it pulled effortlessly when first acquired last May. I will try to clean the car axles and also clean the loco wheels to see if that makes any difference.

I had this happen to me with a loco immediately after oiling it. It had never slipped at all and now it would sit in place and spin its drive wheels. I was careful doing the lube and I only ever use small amounts of oil, but I somehow I got marklin oil on my traction tires.

I dry wiped the track to remove any residue left from running this loco after lubing it. Next I cleaned the traction tires with isopropyl alcohol several times and the problem went away.

That may not be your problem but it shows how easily oil can take your traction away.

Good luck
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Manga  
#14 Posted : 08 March 2023 11:12:41(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
I've never used Märklin/Faller oil.

I use Singer sewing machine oil since I had my first train set ~1985. Never had a problem - this is in Z scale.
Works out cheaper, 100ml for ~AUD5, use it on my bike chain also BigGrin

Just make sure you use a low viscosity oil - it should flow like water.
Wet a toothpick so it has a tiny bead, then apply to gears/axles. You don't need much.

singer.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Manga
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 08 March 2023 12:43:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Manga Go to Quoted Post

Wet a toothpick so it has a tiny bead, then apply to gears/axles. You don't need much.

I like to use a pin or needle, the very fine tip will drip most of the oil back into the bottle and leave a thin film that will gravitate to the tiniest of droplets which are just right for oiling small trains.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 08 March 2023 14:43:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I like to use a pin or needle, the very fine tip will drip most of the oil back into the bottle and leave a thin film that will gravitate to the tiniest of droplets which are just right for oiling small trains.

I use a small needle applicator designed for oiling mechanical clockworks. It allows me to apply very small amounts of oil and avoid the problems of over oiling many of us have experienced. When you put too much oil on a clock bearing it runs down the plate and draws oil out of the bearing, which is no doubt true for MRR equipment also.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline joyofmarklin  
#17 Posted : 27 April 2023 21:26:08(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
So have found that Marklin oil overtime, if the rolling stock is not used,congeals and hardens.
A much better option suggested by the very knowledgeable The 3rd Rail, is German Ballistol oil, developed for their Russian campaign. I use a syringe to apply it and so far have been impressed with it.
https://youtube.com/@The3rdRail. Very informative site for all levels, urge you to subscribe?
IMG_7217.jpeg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by joyofmarklin
Offline Mr. Ron  
#18 Posted : 24 July 2023 22:22:38(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I recently used a track cleaning fluid on my Marklin C-track layout. While the Marklin ICE2 runs perfectly, the steam locomotive, a type 01 by Marklin is literally slipping. I realized that the track was very slightly slippery but that the cleaner has dried now. I had used a cleaning car (blue mini freight car by Marklin, with pads on bottom).

What do you recommend? Marklin has this very vague "oil for locomotives and cars" but it has no details whatsoever as to if its even real or synthetic oil. It looks like Labelle has a large range of lubricants.

Let me know if you can.

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well.

Can

Any light machine oil will work such as sewing machine oil, gun oil, (precision tool oil (Starett)), (turbine oil (see appliance repair shop)).

Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 24 July 2023 22:25:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: joyofmarklin Go to Quoted Post
So have found that Marklin oil overtime, if the rolling stock is not used,congeals and hardens.
At least Märklin oil from the '90s hardens. Märklin oil from the '70s never hardened for me.

I started using Fleischmann oil in 2003 and so far cannot complain. Fleischmann bottle is much like the old Märklin oiler with the needle I had in the '70s.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Kanga  
#20 Posted : 26 July 2023 01:32:57(UTC)
Kanga

Australia   
Quote:
(turbine oil (see appliance repair shop))

How much would you like?BigGrin

MJII.jpeg

Seriously however, I would not use Jet engine turbine oil in my trains. Although it is thin, it attacks certain rubbers and plastics as well as stains. O rings and other "rubber" components in jet engines are a special material.

Karl
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Kanga
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 26 July 2023 02:55:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Lubrication specs are often more about additives and hardware compatibility than the actual Lubrication properties.

So I usually find it easier to use what the manufacturer specced and save more time to enjoy my trains.

The quantities and costs are really quite small compared to the cost of nice models these days.
Regards,
Jim

bph
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 26 July 2023 09:36:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
So I usually find it easier to use what the manufacturer specced and save more time to enjoy my trains.
Yep. But many users are burnt children because the Märklin oil of the '90s hardens often. One German dealer called it "motor glue" ("Motorkleber" in German) and refused to sell it.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#23 Posted : 26 July 2023 11:33:37(UTC)
Goofy

This is what i use for my models and they are great lubrication!
DSC_0007.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy