Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2023 15:05:41(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
I have a CS3 for now, iTrain in my futur, I am trying to do a macro that would combine starting sound for a locomotive but that would also turn on the lights in the passenger cars.
I am using ESU light strips in the cars and they are basically recognized as a locomotive. When I try to add them to the locomotive macro it does not allow it.

Should I be using the M-U (multiple unit) setting that is ordinarily use to have two traction locos? But if so how do I control the lights individually since the F2 F3 etc controls will not be the same as the loco??? (I would like to avoid a complete remapping)

Thank s
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2023 15:39:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Either that, or you can possibly toggle the lighting decoder in the coach with an event if a contact track section or reed switch is in the start area.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2023 16:11:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hallo Putputmaru

I don't know about iTrain because I use Rocrail.
Whith events, on the CS3 you may create one that would, in sequence, turn on the lights, start a whistle. An event recoder on the CS3 is there for you
Here is (circled in RED the record button) while editing an event.
Sans titre.jpg
You can do ANYTHING you want, record your commands, delete some, change the wait times, etc BUT

There is a big but: when comparing the CS3 with Rocrail:
- you cannot create commands or command strings that are NOT loco specific
- the CS3 does not know which loco is where unlike Rocrail.
- commands inside a Block, in Rocrail, can be about non loco-specific commands (turn on the smoke, whistle, lights) do not need to specify which loco it is for. The loco ID ill be filled by the block itself.

Additionally Rocrail allows to write programs in XML. One of mines list the locations of locos (on the line, in shed, not on the layout) from the Rocrail file and turn on or off the lights depending on the location.

Sadly I cannot include this file here because XML type is not allowed
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2023 17:35:31(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thank you both for answering.

Yes iTrain will do what I want, I am not yet organized to set up my layout so waiting in the meantime playing with CS3 only.

The sequence is created to activate loco, whistle and all but including the lighting in cars is the problem, it cannot be included as is as mentioned above and I would like to avoid complet remapping of the loco functions.

I think I will try to create an other macro and then include the macro in the loco sequence. Not sure if that will work.
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2023 23:30:17(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Can't you create two events and add the one for car lights to the one for the loco?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2023 11:57:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Yes, in Rocrail parlance, coatches are in the "car" category, so very easy to do.
Jean
Offline Tie  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2023 19:07:14(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi
In cs3 there is something called event in event. You can make one event for starting sound. Another for turning on lights. Then drag both those events into a new event. Starting the new events will trigger both the events it contains.
TIE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2023 21:01:15(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post

I think I will try to create an other macro and then include the macro in the loco sequence. Not sure if that will work.

Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Hi
In cs3 there is something called event in event. You can make one event for starting sound. Another for turning on lights. Then drag both those events into a new event. Starting the new events will trigger both the events it contains.
TIE

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Can't you create two events and add the one for car lights to the one for the loco?

Thanks guys as I had mentioned in my previous post to yours I have tried it and it works.

Thanks for the help and the confirms. BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru