Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2023 12:55:51(UTC)
Goofy

You need always program track by accept DCC locomotive and wagons if you want to change value in every step of CV adress. This is necessary when you buy DCC locomotives. I did tested with an DCC function decoder for my wagon with the lighting.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2023 13:05:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Despite Peter (Clapcott) giving me excellent information and instructions I can still not change the address on a Piko loco. The CS3 can not at the start read all the CVs and stops. Tried by deleting all the CVs other than the address but still no go. I now cant buy a Piko loco unless it has a decoder which will register (MFX) but there are not many and I dont even know if it would register. I agree with Goofy about the programming track.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2023 14:02:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The newest Piko expert sound decoders/models register MFX, I believe.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2023 16:18:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
I have no Piko locos but I can see that manufacturers like Märklin, ESU could not fully agree on the programing part of decoders.

Even strictly within Märklin equipement, I have a starter loco 29750 (Class 212 "Feuerwehr") which can be controlled by a 6021 CU, a CS2, a CS3, an MS1 and its connection track.
To reset it, change the address, etc, only the CU6021, the MS1 are working and other are locking the decoder : it does not work anymore until properly reset using the "good" equipment.
Cheers
Jean.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2023 16:31:22(UTC)
Goofy

I thought Märklin CS3 can accept all decoders to program on the programming track by use DCC?
How about other manufacturer like Brawa?
My function decoder for the lighting in the wagons are ESU Lokpilot DCC fx and it works nice.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2023 20:18:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I thought Märklin CS3 can accept all decoders to program on the programming track by use DCC?
How about other manufacturer like Brawa?
My function decoder for the lighting in the wagons are ESU Lokpilot DCC fx and it works nice.

Jean is not talking about a DCC decoder, he has problems with a Marklin fx decoder, and those decoders only understand MM. But i would have thought a cs3 or cs2 would understand how to program those.

Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2023 20:51:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
As Alan says a CS3 should be able programme a fx decoder or almost any decoder from other manufacturers. My problem is getting the CS3 to read the CVs before the programme to change the address and even then not sure if it will work with a Piko loco but it should do.
Not as yet seen a Piko loco with mfx although maybe that is the road they will now go down. Should have kept my 6021.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2023 07:37:50(UTC)
Goofy

It´s difference between fx and MM2 decoder to program.
I have never tested it.
Once i did had Roco locomotive for the Märklin track and in this decoder there was MM2 protocol.
I believe it was ESU old decoder but not sure what version.
I did used CU 6021.
The locomotive was stand on the main track by start program with the locomotive adress.
I suppose old decoder cannot program on the CS3 program track?
H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:24:26(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Despite Peter (Clapcott) giving me excellent information and instructions I can still not change the address on a Piko loco. The CS3 can not at the start read all the CVs and stops. Tried by deleting all the CVs other than the address but still no go. I now cant buy a Piko loco unless it has a decoder which will register (MFX) but there are not many and I dont even know if it would register. I agree with Goofy about the programming track.

I don't know what the problem with the Piko loco is. On my dcc locomotives I have always been able to change the address without going into the menu of reading all the CVs. Can the Piko be reset to factory settings?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 30 January 2023 09:28:08(UTC)
Goofy

Piko do have sound decoder with all support so yes it can be reset decoder with CS3.
But i recommended on the programming track.
H0
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 30 January 2023 11:13:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

I don't know what the problem with the Piko loco is. On my dcc locomotives I have always been able to change the address without going into the menu of reading all the CVs. Can the Piko be reset to factory settings?

Loco can be reset. How do you change the address on your PIko loco and I will follow that to see if successful.
Thanks for any help.
Offline Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2023 13:52:55(UTC)
Copenhagen

Sorry I don't have a Piko dcc loco. What I mean is with my dcc locos I can edit and change the address by choosing: edit locomotives and choosing the appropriate locomotive. On the first screen that opens, the info screen, the current address is shown and it can be changed.

I can't exactly remember how it looks the first time you add a dcc locomotive that you've just aquired.... maybe you have to manually enter the address 3 (which is usually the default address) and press OK, and after that you can change the address and enter all the functions on the F buttons etc. If it's a new loco you also have to use the menu for adding a loco not the one for editing a loco I believe. Sorry if all this is already known to you.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2023 21:11:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Sorry I don't have a Piko dcc loco. What I mean is with my dcc locos I can edit and change the address by choosing: edit locomotives and choosing the appropriate locomotive. On the first screen that opens, the info screen, the current address is shown and it can be changed.

I can't exactly remember how it looks the first time you add a dcc locomotive that you've just aquired.... maybe you have to manually enter the address 3 (which is usually the default address) and press OK, and after that you can change the address and enter all the functions on the F buttons etc. If it's a new loco you also have to use the menu for adding a loco not the one for editing a loco I believe. Sorry if all this is already known to you.

Thanks for the reply. I have dozens of locos so no problem with Marklin changing address etc and of course mfx registers itself. As Peter said in another thread change is by CV but the CS3 runs through them first by in my case it stops and goes no further. Meanwhile the loco starts pulsing and never stops until taken off the programme track and has to again be registered as address 3 as the only one it will accept.. I only mentioned the problem as I was going to buy another Piko loco but as it will also come with address 3 (very few are mfx) will give it a miss.
Anyway the thread is about the programme track and I agree it should be used.
Offline Copenhagen  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2023 21:24:00(UTC)
Copenhagen

I can't tell what is wrong with the Piko. I can only say that my experience with dcc locos is that the address can be changed without going into the proces of reading or extracting the CVs. I have always been able to change address from the "info" screen which is the first screen that comes up when you pick a loco that you want to edit.

... if it runs well with the address at 3 then maybe the only solution is to keep it at that?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 31 January 2023 05:42:06(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin recommended you to put a new locomotive on the programming track and change locos adress and start let CS3 read decoder before you confirm it.
To use adress 3 is not recommended because it is standard adress for the DCC for both two rail and Märklin rail when you did bought new loco models.
H0
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 31 January 2023 12:35:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Märklin recommended you to put a new locomotive on the programming track and change locos adress and start let CS3 read decoder before you confirm it.
To use adress 3 is not recommended because it is standard adress for the DCC for both two rail and Märklin rail when you did bought new loco models.

Hi Goofy. Not sure what you mean. Piko locos come with the address 3 as standard. My CS3 will not read the decoder and allow me to change the address. The loco is quite new and runs well.
Anyway thanks for all replies but maybe just leave this now and at some point I will figure out what is wrong as it could be the CS3 or the decoder in the loco.
If in the future if anybody has a Piko and has changed the address from 3 would be happy to hear from you.
Time for coffee.

David
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 31 January 2023 12:54:39(UTC)
H0

If in the future if anybody has a Piko and has changed the address from 3 would be happy to hear from you.
I have several Piko locos and changed the default address 3 for all of them. Recently I did that using the programming track of a CS2.

Piko used various decoders over time (Uhlenbrock, ESU, "Piko") and there are differences, but with respect to setting the address they all work the same as long as they are DCC.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#18 Posted : 31 January 2023 14:18:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I have several Piko locos and changed the default address 3 for all of them. Recently I did that using the programming track of a CS2.

Piko used various decoders over time (Uhlenbrock, ESU, "Piko") and there are differences, but with respect to setting the address they all work the same as long as they are DCC.

Thanks Tom. Did you use the change with the Address CV as Peter suggested in another thread or just on the address box. Could be my CS3 or the decode causing the problem.Will give it another try various ways. I like the PIko loco and would buy more but of course would need to change the address unless one of their mfx models.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 31 January 2023 15:10:05(UTC)
H0

The best way to change the address is using the address field, as the CS will then handle all four CVs involved. That's how I usually do it.

Changing CV 1 could be an option if you want a new address in the range 1 to 127.

You could even try to change the address using the "MM programmable" setting on the CS. With MM locos, the CS does not attempt to read anything from the decoder. Address should be in the range 1 to 127.

If you have an MS2 or another controller, you could try to change the address with it.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 01 February 2023 13:03:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The best way to change the address is using the address field, as the CS will then handle all four CVs involved. That's how I usually do it.

Changing CV 1 could be an option if you want a new address in the range 1 to 127.

You could even try to change the address using the "MM programmable" setting on the CS. With MM locos, the CS does not attempt to read anything from the decoder. Address should be in the range 1 to 127.

If you have an MS2 or another controller, you could try to change the address with it.

Thanks Tom. Tried MM but just stays at DCC.and wont accept MM. Tried DCC without MM and mfx but again failed.
Once on the programme track the loco starts to pulse and never stops so maybe the decoder has a problem but as the loco runs well I will just leave it. I dont have any other controller just a CS3 Plus having sold the 6021 and my CS2 gave up after ten years of use.
Thank for the info which is appreciated.

David

Offline Dreadnought  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2023 19:11:06(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I recently bought a CS 3. Because I was worried about my CS 2 having somehow corrupted itself, I did not want to simply transfer the data from the old to the new. I decided to reload all my locomotives as if newly acquired. I started using the programming track. I found it hit and miss. Some items Mix or MM loaded with no problems. Others would not load no matter what. On occasion shutting down the CS 3 and starting it the next day helped. I then read that with the CS 3 you could load a new locomotive on the running track. I tried it. I used an isolated siding so that no other locomotives would be on the system. The locomotives Mix and MM, loaded beautifully.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought