Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2022 14:55:46(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Dear all

Do you choose your marklin christmas present?
Does your wife choose your present?
Or do you make un suttle suggestions?

For me i buy my own christmas present and my wife wraps it.

Tim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Willem99  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2022 15:22:30(UTC)
Willem99

United States   
I buy my own christmas present and then I try to sneak it into the house without her noticing it :).
It makes life so much easier.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Willem99
Offline Bogenschütze  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2022 16:39:05(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
I used to try sneaking my big annual Märklin purchase into the house without my wife noticing but since she retired that became increasingly difficult. Now I order it from MSL in time for Christmas and she takes it away immediately it is delivered and wraps it. She also reads the delivery note in the packaging and makes a great fuss about the unbelievable cost. I just nod knowingly and smile.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2022 19:20:19(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Not necessarily Marklin. I buy various things around the year so as not to look like Christmas. My things have a life magnitudes longer.

I also pre planned my birthday pretty close too Christmas so that is handy ordering a number of presents for oneself!
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2022 00:29:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I pre-ordered mine in ealry 2022 and it will be delivered to dealers in January 2023. I did ask for one smallish model RR item for Christmas from my family. My spouse has wrapped a few things for me, and asked me not to buy anything in return until the gifts from family are unrapped.
Once I bought almost $1,000.00 in Marklin items over a few months in 2003, and hid the withdrawl slips in my car console under the cup holders, but later in the year they were discovered by my spouse. This was my personal credit union account I had for decades, but our money had been consolidated since the mid 90's. My car payment was deducted automatically from it. I had no other hidden debt.
I came home from work that day to find a few Wiking ho scale vehicles smashed where they were displayed. I never said no to anything they wanted to buy, but I should have asked or at least said I was buying trains. So I moved the money in it to our joint savings account. Shortly after my company closed, and the credit union was absorbed by another.
My father in law bought a $600 camera in the 1960's in secret, and a Pontiac Trans Am in the late 70's. My mother in law had a fit when he pulled up with it from work. He was a GM salaried employee, and they ballooned car purchases annually. Basically, they could order a vehicle with a small down payment, with 15% off the base price m.s.r.p., and 20% off options. After a year, they had to either pay the balance due in arears, re finance it, or sell it. So they sold it, broke even or better, paid it off, and for less than another grand, and got a brand bew car each year. So instead of another Chevy Nova in 1978, she ordered herself a fully loaded Caprice Classic.
Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2022 07:24:55(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Dear all

Tim

Of course I buy my own Christmas presents. Märklin is far too important to trust heathens to select for one.

But I’m jaded. Christmas happens year round for me. I can never seem to catch up with the backlog. ICE 4 with green stripe anyone?Blink
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline MikeK  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2022 13:34:06(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Dear all

Tim

Yes, I think we both prefer that I choose the Märklin... ...whether she knows it or not... Cool

She also makes sure I know what a good gift choice for her would be, so that is balanced BigGrin

She does the wrapping of both (The 88569 Crocodile this year) RollEyes

^__^
Mike
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MikeK
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 22 December 2022 01:03:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I got to play Santa afeter all today! I was aksed for an electric walking treadmill which fits below a work desk that you walk on while standing at the elevated computer desk.
It was delivered a couple hours ago, but wasn't expected until next week. Too big to wrap, so I put a large bow on it in the garage and it was a big surprise after supper!
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2022 06:57:03(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MikeK Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I think we both prefer that I choose the Märklin... ...whether she knows it or not... Cool

She also makes sure I know what a good gift choice for her would be, so that is balanced

^__^
Mike

Then there is the issue of time, you already know what you want. When she shops you could quite frankly pop off to the Mediterranean for a week or two and not be noticed missing in action!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline MikeK  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2022 16:16:26(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MikeK Go to Quoted Post

She also makes sure I know what a good gift choice for her would be, so that is balanced

^__^
Mike

Then there is the issue of time, you already know what you want. When she shops you could quite frankly pop off to the Mediterranean for a week or two and not be noticed missing in action!

So true BigGrin
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...