Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2022 22:12:46(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

Twenty one period correct freight wagons attached to a 88290 locomotive, up my hill, without problems! It looked like this one had potential, and it has proven itself to be a very strong and powerful puller. It works like I never expected and if there is one out there, I would suggest you pick one up. This one is a five pole driven beauty and so far, at least four different models of this locomotive from different ERAs have been produced. I would have preferred a Br 96, but this one was a deal as it was sold as non-operational.

UserPostedImage

This one is worth considering.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2022 17:51:56(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
In my experience there are a few very good types.
What helps is weight and powered axles.

So everything with high weight and no trailing or not powered axles should catch your attention!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2022 21:04:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I have not found a better steam locomotive. It has some weight to it and all of the axles are powered. It seems to have the usual wheel contacts (scrapers) behind the wheels and then two other contacts directly from the circuit board. I don’t know of these come into play with the electric motor but it seems to never stop or hesitate. I gave the rails a good cleaning before trying it out. I use analog and with the controller set to less than 50, it will circle the track. Other steam locomotives don’t seem to be this smooth.

For comparison, two Br 110s will only pull about 12 two axle wagons. A 194 about the same, perhaps fewer. A 151 will do about the same, maybe one or two more.

The more recent versions are 88293/4 and have the red lower plastic pan with extra details and these have the updated link drives. Perhaps these have a bit more weight.

I have catenary on a part of the layout and clearance with these are not a problem.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Mman  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2022 07:52:08(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have a couple of this type and they are certainly the most powerful steam outline locos in the range. I ran out of tank wagons (at the time my standard haulage test unit) when I tested mine on the Noch!
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2022 15:59:23(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I might have been able to add a few of those dry powder wagons, but I haven’t yet. I didn’t run out of wagons, so this might be a good idea.

I have not found a better steam locomotive. It is quiet in operation despite the fact I only really worked on the rear gear frame to get it to work. I might have to work on the front one to see if there is some improvement.

Rumor is, while nice, this type does have issues with the gears. The internal single side gear was laying inside and had no pin to spin on. Fortunately, the pin was magnetized onto the motor. When I put the housing into my sonic cleaner, the wheel scrapers fell off when I fished it out. I had never seen this. It might be common to find this locomotive listed as non operative.

All in all though, it wasn’t that bad working on this one.

I can imagine this locomotive would do well on most track inclines, and look good doing it.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme