Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2022 03:05:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The first batch of the SBB RAe "Churchillpfeil" has shipped to dealers.
I was impressed with the solution to the bogie/body issue, which is much more like the solution I would have wanted to see on the RAe "Gottardo" models. Instead of cutouts in the body, they decided to compromise on the bogie details underneath.

I did not order this model, because the only person I know who might have appreciated seeing it in my collection would have been my Dad and he passed over 20 years ago.

I am sure that many will appreciate this model, which appears to rival the models that have already come from other manufacturers.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2022 10:05:59(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I have been familiar with and an enthusiast of the "real thing" since my childhood, and that is a veeery long time ago.

What immediately "impresses" me is the window glazing, namely in the passenger compartments. Did Märklin use armored glass here? Huh Mad This window glazing is so incredibly thick, and due to the lacking accuracy of fit there seem to be bulging window frames which do not exist in reality. Please take a look at pictures 11 to 13 here in the Stummi forum:

https://www.stummiforum....agen-RAe.html#msg2484057

And one other thing: The prototype is attractive not least due to its glossy paintwork - compare this with the dull red applied by Märklin:

https://www.sbb.ch/de/fr...usflug/pop-up-restaurant

Sorry, but once again the Märklin guys have followed their proven tradition with new Swiss models: Overall nice, but absolutely each and every time there is one prominent detail that sticks out negatively and ruins the appearance. Too bad, but nice for my wallet.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2022 18:01:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Was the original always in the glossy paint?
Did the Bevi/Baenninger and Fulgurex models have glossy paint or did they look similar to the Maerklin model?

As far as the windows, I too noticed the unpainted seals and thick panes.

I think that almost every model has some small diversion from prototype and the question is whether that diversion is enough to make the model a "pass"

Regards

Mike C
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2022 21:56:43(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Did the Bevi/Baenninger and Fulgurex models have glossy paint or did they look similar to the Maerklin model?

No, not always in the glossy paint. The other mentioned models look similar to the Märklin, although their tone of red seems brighter (in the pictures so far available).
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2022 02:43:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I always wanted one of these, don't ask me why, I've got 2 of the Red Arrows (3125 3126) and at one stage I had in mind to combine them but than I found out the whole configuration of windows, doors was different., the price these days is a spanner in the works., there are still other models on the wish list.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline PeFu  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2022 12:39:21(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
The paint looks more prototypical in this clip IMHO:

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2022 14:03:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Very nive video PeFu! Thanks
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mmervine  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2023 02:28:19(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
My Churchill arrived today and I was really surprised to get it as they still don't seem to be in stock in Europe and the US is usually the last to get any new Marklin product. It took me about ten minutes to get the two haves connected as the electrical coupler is difficult to align and I didn't want to bend any pins. When I first tested (I use a 6021 system for my layout) it it was acting strange. When selecting any function, it would slow down, stop, and reverse direction.

I ended up turning power off to the layout for a few minutes and tried again and now it seems to work fine. From the factory, it is configured with address 48 and a second address of 49. I tested all 9 functions and they now work correctly. I will test it again tomorrow, but I wanted to get this out here if someone else has a weird out of the box experience like I did.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline mrmarklin  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2023 06:14:09(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

As far as the windows, I too noticed the unpainted seals and thick panes.

I think that almost every model has some small diversion from prototype and the question is whether that diversion is enough to make the model a "pass"

Regards

Mike C

Museum trains are always shown in best light.

Red is a color that is easily worked on by the sun and weather to deteriorate. The semi gloss finish applied by Märklin looks about right to me.
Realistically, they would run fairly weathered in the wild.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin