Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carim  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2022 22:01:11(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I read a rather disturbing notice in the November issue of "Continental Modeller". I reproduce it in full:

"A longstanding reader who prefers not to be identified reports that most of his very large collection of Märklin and Trix HO items has 'disappeared' and been reported as stolen. The models cover provincial German railways (Epoch I), the DRG (Epoch II), and post-war both DR and DB (Epochs III and IV).

Also missing are N gauge European, American, and British models.

Whilst the collection was insured, many of the models were limited editions and no longer available, so virtually impossible to replace - though this may also help to trace them if they are offered for sale.

The case is being handled by Kent police, crime number 45/161278/22. Please get in touch if you are offered models without adequate provenance.
"

Carim
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2022 00:12:24(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
The case is being handled by Kent police, crime number 45/161278/22. Please get in touch if you are offered models without adequate provenance.[/i]"

That is horribly nasty. A list would be good to help people know which models to double-check. Also how does one give provenance from models picked up at train shows. Also I am not sure I have ever asked someone for provenance even though at times some friends or others have given me the original bill of sale. However, I myself have not been so fastidious with keeping bills or records. Especially things I have had for a long time.

I am currently working on inventory of my own parts and track, however I would like to have something more exact and complete for insurance purposes other than photos of my closets and shelves. A inventory would be good but does not give provenance.

Any thoughts, advice, wisdom here would be welcome.
- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2022 00:36:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It is terrible, but not surprising. Like when the Marklin museum was robbed and vanadlized.
We must protect our homes, have alarm systems, and insurance usually offers a discount if monitored. However, even they can be hacked these days if they are cell phone signal enabled. The old landline types would often just have the cable cut outside before breaching the premiises.
We must also carefully scrutinize whom we allow into our homes., and whom we tell about our collections.
Kent is a large county or shire with suburban London and rural towns. By the owner expressing concern for the sale of items, he must know of others nearby in the hobby.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2022 10:34:16(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
As with any theft, it is rather disgusting - I assume that the victim took years building up the collection and unless they are extremely lucky will never have it again. I have reached out to the editor of "Continental Modeller" to see if there is a list of the items that we should be on the look-out for. Personally, when I have bought used items, I usually just ask whether they are undamaged and do they function? The issue of provenance never occurred to me.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2022 11:00:15(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I do not work for an insurance company but the use of the word 'disappeared' as in ''disappeared' and been reported as stolen' would raise an eyebrow.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Carim  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2022 12:00:23(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I do not work for an insurance company but the use of the word 'disappeared' as in ''disappeared' and been reported as stolen' would raise an eyebrow.

Hmmm, yes, maybe I'm too innocent Blushing

The editor of "Continental Modeller" got back to me and told me that he wasn't supplied with any further details of the missing items other than that they had already published.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline IanC  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2022 12:00:55(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I presume that auction houses have a duty and responsibility to check out the bone fide source of goods for sale? Due diligence?

IanC
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2022 22:31:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
I presume that auction houses have a duty and responsibility to check out the bone fide source of goods for sale? Due diligence?

IanC

Märklin does not often figure in large blocks of items in UK auction houses.
If any of us see large amounts of Märklin offered at a UK auctioneer we could be suspicious.

No likely time frame for the theft has been given.
About 12 months ago a large block of modern Märklin items was sold through Hattons in Widnes.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2022 06:52:38(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
the Police isn't going to look into it, it happened to me.
My items were on sale on ebay. I saw them and told the Police, 'can you prove they are yours' was their answer.
My ex-wife used to take pictures of family belongings with a family member beside them to prove that the item had been in the family if stolen, this gives provenance.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline HO Collector  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2022 21:38:59(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
the Police isn't going to look into it, it happened to me.
My items were on sale on ebay. I saw them and told the Police, 'can you prove they are yours' was their answer.
My ex-wife used to take pictures of family belongings with a family member beside them to prove that the item had been in the family if stolen, this gives provenance.

I am not so sure that this gives a provenance because Marklin makes several hundred/thousands copies of the same model and the photo does not prove that I didn't own the same model. However, each model carries its own unique S.N, if you can prove this then there are no questions.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2022 23:58:57(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post

Sorry to hear that but thank you for the excellent idea to take photos with someone in the family holding the item. I think I will be doing that.
Time to get out the DSLR and Tripod until my face hurts from smiling.
Laugh BigGrin
Perhaps with a photo of number too.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5