Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2022 05:30:08(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hello all,

After a few years I am finally getting back into my model railway hobby and might finally finish my layout which has been a work in progress since 2012 when I started it.

I started by testing all my locomotive and unfortunately discovered that the motor to my Marklin class 41 had stopped working. The motor turns intermittently and laboured and caused the decoder to heat up.. I removed it from the body to confirm it was the problem and not the gearing or links.

Anyway, cutting to the chase. I looked up the motor, part number E232053, on the Marklin website only to find it is no longer produced. Does anyone know what an equivalent motor is to replace this one? I have to say I'm not surprised that it was discontinued as this locomotive has barely been used, probably no more than 2 hours. When I bought it I had read these motors weren't much good and now I've confirmed it!
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2022 08:52:39(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

After a few years I am finally getting back into my model railway hobby and might finally finish my layout which has been a work in progress since 2012 when I started it.

I started by testing all my locomotive and unfortunately discovered that the motor to my Marklin class 41 had stopped working. The motor turns intermittently and laboured and caused the decoder to heat up.. I removed it from the body to confirm it was the problem and not the gearing or links.

Anyway, cutting to the chase. I looked up the motor, part number E232053, on the Marklin website only to find it is no longer produced. Does anyone know what an equivalent motor is to replace this one? I have to say I'm not surprised that it was discontinued as this locomotive has barely been used, probably no more than 2 hours. When I bought it I had read these motors weren't much good and now I've confirmed it!

Hello Paul,

A Stummi forum post notes the new number for a replacement as E255885 :

https://www-stummiforum-...r_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

but I cannot find the part on the web.Sad , I hope some others more knowledgeful than I can help you BigGrin ,

Regards,

PJ
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2022 10:36:00(UTC)
bph

Norway   
recommend checking if you can use a motor from a later 41, eg the 37928
Try sending Märklin service an email. (service(at)maerklin.de)

Edited by user 25 September 2022 11:00:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2022 11:38:13(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
always ask Marklin's service first. Reply time may be long or short but they always come back to you.
There are a few ebay sellers that have old hard to find parts, check them out as well. Don't know where you are but an Italian seller has quite a lot of stock and can advise on alternatives.
HTH
Marco
Offline Cyborg  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2022 23:15:16(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I’m in Australia and unfortunately Marklin isn’t well supported here. I’ll try contacting Marklin.

Regards

Paul
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2022 00:52:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I’m in Australia and unfortunately Marklin isn’t well supported here. I’ll try contacting Marklin.

Regards

Paul

What, not even Noel in Brisbane is able to sort you out?
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2022 07:23:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Paul

Noel has a range of spare parts but I would think motors as such are not on the menu., things have drastically changed over the years whereas you can't get spare motors anymore or the motors they've produced had major faults within but of course Märklin wouldn't tell you that., it goes into the secret failure basket., although the 5 pole highefficiency motor is no longer a first choice with Märklin, its available

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2022 11:55:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
SB Modellbau have a motor kit for the 37923 BR41 among others. You could contact them and ask when they will have stock.

https://www.sb-modellbau...e=details&path=29087
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2022 12:06:40(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Regards

Paul

Noel has a range of spare parts but I would think motors as such are not on the menu., things have drastically changed over the years whereas you can't get spare motors anymore or the motors they've produced had major faults within but of course Märklin wouldn't tell you that., it goes into the secret failure basket., although the 5 pole highefficiency motor is no longer a first choice with Märklin, its available

John

Sometimes a spare motor is available with a new spare part number, but the part list does not reflect that and you have to ask Märklin service. (note that Märklin service might not have complete records of some older locomotives).
eg the motor from the 37119 will also fit in my older Württ C 31021, according to Märklin.
in recent years, it seems that Marklin has again standardised the motor some, and you will find the same motor in several locomotives, but with slightly different gearbox and possibly flywheel combinations. Its no official information about this, it's just what I have observed inside my locos and what others have posted in relation to spare part numbers etc. note that there might also be other differences not visible, so no guarantee........
Offline Cyborg  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2022 08:59:24(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks for your suggestions. I emailed Marklin Service and hopefully I get a reply soon. I'll let you know when/if I get a reply with the answer.

regards

Paul
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 26 September 2022 10:02:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I suggest you look at the SB Modellbau page I linked to as their BR41 motor can be used in other Marklin locos. You may find the Marklin motors for those locos can be used in your BR41.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 210450.jpg
Offline Cyborg  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2022 01:51:33(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks, I had a look at them. They want €145 plus postage. I think I'll wait for Marklin to get back to me as their prices for these types of motors are around €30.

regards

Paul
Offline Cyborg  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2022 06:59:21(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Marklin have very bad customer service. Still waiting for a reply to my question about this motor! Does anyone know of a better way to get an answer from them other than their website form? Seems to go into a black hole.....
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2022 08:06:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
They will reply, it may just take a while.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ocram63_uk  
#15 Posted : 12 October 2022 08:22:50(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Cyborg  
#16 Posted : 13 October 2022 08:29:33(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Amazing, Marklin must monitor this site. I got a reply from Frank Mayer within a day of posting this. Anyway, for those interested, the replacement motor part number is E256938 and costs €33 plus postage.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Cyborg