Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2022 02:25:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I know that the recent Piko Re 4/4I (Piko/Arwico) has the bogies designed so that the axles are not connected to the exterior of the bogie. The new LS Models Vectron (193) also has a similar design, where the bogie can flex up and down without the exterior bogie also moving with it. On a normal bogie, the outer ends of the axle are inserted into the bogie frame.

My old 3050 Ae 6/6 also had a similar design, where the axles were mounted on the inner metal frame but not to the plastic outer part. The difference was that the two parts were attached and moved in tandem. On the new design, the wheel sets can pivot up and down and the outer bogie remains flush to the track.

What do you think of this and do you have a preferred design on your models?

Regards

Mike C
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2022 14:27:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mike

I know it is some time ago but Märklin on its passenger coaches in the 50s and 60s (4026, 4027, etc) had bogies with a rotating flanges allowing the wheels to stick to the rail
Sans titre.png
The flanges could rotate independently along a transverse, horizontal axle (here in red).
This was supposed to absorb rail bumps but I soon found that it was the opposite and making this much easier for one wheel to jump above the rail.
I ended up locking these flanges by bending the limiting tongues (circled in green.
So indeed it was a false good idea.
Cheers
Jean
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2022 14:52:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
it's best the axles, and bogies are insulated from the metal parts of the car bottom. Independant pivoting axles can help on tight radii, or uneven curves. A prblem with the all metal type like on the tinplate Rheingold cars are that the metal bogies are not insulated from the axles, nor the car bottom, and shorts can occur.