Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jags  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2022 07:34:12(UTC)
Jags

United States   
I just tried to order a few more LED replacement bulbs from CKLED but they have now sold out of all of these products and will not be restocking for the future.

Such a great product that I have put in all my Locomotives!!

Any ideas of another way to get LED lamps for the older Locomotives?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jags
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2022 14:25:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The supply chains are still suffering. Rapido easy peasy led kits have been out of stock all summer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2022 21:56:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jags
Here is one good source of MS4 LEDs in all possible colours
https://www.ebay.de/itm/38424661...7mP%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzt-HxNlg
They are good quality:
- built-in rectifier
- strong bound between the LED and the socket

For small LED bulb with a 5.5 mm winding here is an example
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...t%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4ToocTZYA
Yes they are more expensive (approx. 2€ apieces) than regular bulbs but you don't replace them anymore
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2022 22:08:03(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jags Go to Quoted Post
I just tried to order a few more LED replacement bulbs from CKLED but they have now sold out of all of these products and will not be restocking for the future.

As I understand it, it was never a business as such - Stephen wanted some LED bulbs for his own use, but there was a minimum order quantity and we have all benefited from the leftovers!

If there were enough people willing to put money in I’m up front sure he’d be willing to do another run - not sure how many people that would need, though.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Jags  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2022 23:17:20(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jags
Here is one good source of MS4 LEDs in all possible colours
https://www.ebay.de/itm/38424661...7mP%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzt-HxNlg
They are good quality:
- built-in rectifier
- strong bound between the LED and the socket

For small LED bulb with a 5.5 mm winding here is an example
https://www.ebay.de/itm/...t%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4ToocTZYA
Yes they are more expensive (approx. 2€ apieces) than regular bulbs but you don't replace them anymore
Cheers
Jean

Thanks for that info. However, they look to be far too large and in the wrong form factor to work in the Marklin Z Locomotives. They need to look like this:

lamps
Offline Jags  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2022 23:19:26(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

As I understand it, it was never a business as such - Stephen wanted some LED bulbs for his own use, but there was a minimum order quantity and we have all benefited from the leftovers!

If there were enough people willing to put money in I’m up front sure he’d be willing to do another run - not sure how many people that would need, though.

That's a good suggestion. Is he a member here on this forum?

Offline georgi UK  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2022 11:25:47(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by georgi UK
Offline Jags  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2022 22:31:18(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: georgi UK Go to Quoted Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333350210040?var=542978041996 ThumpUp white & white

Yes, only white/white remain. I ordered a bunch of them just a few days ago and got a message back saying that I purchased almost everything they had left. They only have a few more remaining.

I really needed the white/red for a BR216 I just repaired with a new motor, but the white/white will have to do. I may swap a few around with some in my other Locos as I usually only run them in one direction anyways. I could use a white/white in front and a white/red in the rear.

I also got two more for my two Class 50 Steam Locomotives. The white/white will work fine in those.

Question is what about future purchases? Fortunately, I have purchased quite a few Locomotives recently and do have a few spares. And I do, or will have, them all set up with the CKLED lamps already.

Thanks!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2022 23:58:34(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

That's a good suggestion. Is he a member here on this forum?

I don’t think so, but I have managed to email him before. I’m on holiday at the moment, but when I get back I’ll dig out his details and send him a message.

Cheers

Chris
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 25 August 2022 01:07:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Yes, only white/white remain. I ordered a bunch of them just a few days ago and got a message back saying that I purchased almost everything they had left. They only have a few more remaining.

I really needed the white/red for a BR216 I just repaired with a new motor, but the white/white will have to do. I may swap a few around with some in my other Locos as I usually only run them in one direction anyways. I could use a white/white in front and a white/red in the rear.

I also got two more for my two Class 50 Steam Locomotives. The white/white will work fine in those.

Question is what about future purchases? Fortunately, I have purchased quite a few Locomotives recently and do have a few spares. And I do, or will have, them all set up with the CKLED lamps already.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be too hard to make some equivalent parts. I'll have to dig in my Z gauge bits to investigate.

Do the white/red items use a single two colour LED, or two seperate LEDs?

[edit]
taking a closer look at the picture earlier in this thread it looks like there is an LED on each side of the PCB. That would be the easy way to do it. I'll have a think and see what I can come up with, i am generating some PCBs to make in the near future.
[/edit]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Jags  
#11 Posted : 25 August 2022 03:07:01(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

Shouldn't be too hard to make some equivalent parts. I'll have to dig in my Z gauge bits to investigate.

Do the white/red items use a single two colour LED, or two seperate LEDs?

[edit]

taking a closer look at the picture earlier in this thread it looks like there is an LED on each side of the PCB. That would be the easy way to do it. I'll have a think and see what I can come up with, i am generating some PCBs to make in the near future.
[/edit]

You may want to watch this install video. It may give you some more insight on how these LEDs work.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2022 18:19:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

You may want to watch this install video. It may give you some more insight on how these LEDs work.

Thanks. I had a look at the ebay link, and for what you get I wouldn't consider those to be 'a good price', but each to his own. I suspect he had them professionally manufactured, which would probably result in that sort of price.

Offline Jags  
#13 Posted : 25 August 2022 22:34:40(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. I had a look at the ebay link, and for what you get I wouldn't consider those to be 'a good price', but each to his own. I suspect he had them professionally manufactured, which would probably result in that sort of price.

I've been buying these LEDs for my Marklin Z Locomotives for many years. They are ready to go, easy to install and work great.

It is my understanding that he designed these LEDs a few years back and contacted a manufacturer to make them for him. The manufacturer required a large minimum order, so he decided to go into business selling these to others. I believe he is now. after a few years, finally sold all that he had originally purchased and has decided not to continue selling them anymore.

It may be less expensive to make them yourself, but for me the simplicity and convenience was worth the price.

Thanks!!

Offline Zme  
#14 Posted : 30 August 2022 23:30:32(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I never purchased any of these LED inserts. I notice they have a listing on eBay for a module described as White and White. Does this module show white in the forward direction and then light white when changed to the reverse? I am not sure. Theses might have a limited quantity available.

I purchased a customized railbus set a while back and it came with LED modules. When I looked at it, there were two emitters on the module. In forward, the white light showed in the front. This lite up the headlights and the forward cabin. At the back the white cabin front was on and the lower red emitter was also on. The LED module was divided in half with a black piece outlined to the shape of the cabin. This sealed the top of the cabin part from the lower shell. This would keep the red glow down low and the white glow where it was needed. I believe this divider was custom added to the module. It worked and gave a very nice scene. The LED come on so much earlier. (I may have shared this image before)

UserPostedImage

It is interesting that Marklin still has not been able to design a way to provide the red taillight on the railbus. Even the most recent release, uses LEDs, but are only white in the direction of travel. I guess the option they decided on was to provide the three passenger cabin lights. These are nice too but. . .

If I could find modules which worked like the one I have, I could use two dozen of them.

Take good care.

Dwight

Edited by user 31 August 2022 06:59:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jags  
#15 Posted : 31 August 2022 00:25:19(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post

I never purchased any of these LED inserts. I notice they have a listing on eBay for a module described as White and White. Does this module show white in the forward direction and then refrain white when changed to the reverse? I am not sure. Theses might have a limited quantity available.

I just purchased off of eBay a few of his last remaining inserts. They are the white/white version, as that is all that he has left.

In his normal white/red versions the lamp would light white in the forward direction and red in reverse. This white/white version lights white in both directions.

This video explains how it all works:

Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 31 August 2022 23:32:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Are you sure about that? My recollection is that they light in one direction only, though I have to say I am beginning to doubt my own memory!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Jags  
#17 Posted : 31 August 2022 23:42:00(UTC)
Jags

United States   

Are you sure about that? My recollection is that they light in one direction only, though I have to say I am beginning to doubt my own memory!

Cheers

Chris

It's very simple. Once you remove the diode from the Locomotive as per the instructions, power will swap polarity to the lamp socket depending on the direction. These modules have two LEDs. One of them lights up in one direction and the other will light up when you switch to the other direction. That way for the white/red version you get white going forwards and red going reverse. With the white/white version you will get white in both directions since both LEDs are white.

They also used to have a single white LED version. With that version it would only light up in one direction.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#18 Posted : 03 September 2022 23:06:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
They also used to have a single white LED version. With that version it would only light up in one direction.

Ah yes, I misunderstood - I thought we were talking about the white only versions!

Cheers

Chris
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#19 Posted : 03 September 2022 23:13:48(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

Returning to this subject, based on my (wide) experience within the electronics industry, I'd estimate the up-front costs to get a batch of LED modules made would be between £1000 and £2000, so it would need around 100 of us to put in £10-20 each to make it a no-risk option for someone to get some more made. Unfortunately, I think we'd struggle to get even 10% of that commitment here, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers

Chris

Offline Jags  
#20 Posted : 03 September 2022 23:29:15(UTC)
Jags

United States   

Returning to this subject, based on my (wide) experience within the electronics industry, I'd estimate the up-front costs to get a batch of LED modules made would be between £1000 and £2000, so it would need around 100 of us to put in £10-20 each to make it a no-risk option for someone to get some more made. Unfortunately, I think we'd struggle to get even 10% of that commitment here, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers

Chris

I would jump into that pool also! Most definitely would like some more of the white/red versions on hand for future Loco purchases!

ThumpUp
Offline Toosmall  
#21 Posted : 04 September 2022 05:57:20(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
If you have white/white LEDs and want white/red just paint the correct one with some light globe red lacquer as used on older car light globes. You can do orange as well!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Jags  
#22 Posted : 04 September 2022 06:21:37(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
If you have white/white LEDs and want white/red just paint the correct one with some light globe red lacquer as used on older car light globes. You can do orange as well!

Yes, I've been using a set of Sharpie Colored Markers to tone down the bright white of these LEDs. I use the yellow Sharpie for Diesel Locomotives. It gives it more of a soft white hue. And for the Steam Locomotives I use an orange Sharpie. That gives it more of the old fashioned warm white light hue. Almost matches the LED color of what Marklin uses in its newer Locos.

I will need to experiment using a red marker to convert the white/white to white/red.

ThumpUp

Offline marklinist5999  
#23 Posted : 04 September 2022 15:17:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thaty also works on faded signal lensez and bulbs.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline georgi UK  
#24 Posted : 05 September 2022 20:12:43(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   
I think the light insert on the newer BR24 loco looks like CK version?!
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#25 Posted : 05 September 2022 22:35:20(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I think the light insert on the newer BR24 loco looks like CK version?!

Marklin do produce their own version that is used in some models (I think it's part number E250 391) but at 15 Euros each they're quite expensive, even more so once shipping is added on!

Cheers

Chris

Offline Zme  
#26 Posted : 06 September 2022 06:16:22(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

I ordered two of the white/white modules which are in the mail. I thought these could be used to light two steam locomotives.

I have heard that in real steam locomotives, it is not prototypical to have the lights displayed red when reversing because this was never done. It is strange because on a railbus, there was/is a red cap which was placed over the light fixture to mark the rear or when stopped.

The two modules were 21.50 which came to nearly $26.00. Shipping and now tax is so costly, almost makes me consider abandoning my “Z” hobby. (Just kidding)

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Jags  
#27 Posted : 06 September 2022 06:56:35(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

I ordered two of the white/white modules which are in the mail. I thought these could be used to light two steam locomotives.

I have heard that in real steam locomotives, it is not prototypical to have the lights displayed red when reversing because this was never done. It is strange because on a railbus, there was/is a red cap which was placed over the light fixture to mark the rear or when stopped.

The two modules were 21.50 which came to nearly $26.00. Shipping and now tax is so costly, almost makes me consider abandoning my “Z” hobby. (Just kidding)

Take good care.

Dwight

With the four white/white modules I just purchased, two of them are for my two Class 50 Steam Locos. The other two went into my BR216 I just fixed with a replacement motor. Like I said I will need to experiment using the red Sharpie marker to convert the module to white/red for that Diesel Loco.
Offline Manga  
#28 Posted : 07 September 2022 13:01:07(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Mad
A few months ago I bought a white/red from CK LED to test it out and was impressed by the results.
I was planning on another order, and then I came across this bad news.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Manga
Offline Zme  
#29 Posted : 07 September 2022 23:41:23(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

There seems to be the white/white modules still available. Perhaps with a bit of modification, they can be adapted to red/white.

A while ago, I discover and mentioned here a liquid material which seems to be like a liquid plastic. With this material, a “plastic cap” may be created on the correct spot on a module. It is sold in a tube and comes in a variety of different colors. Once applied as a paste like substance, it dries to a hard yet flexible plastic type material. If a mistake is made, just let it dry and it can be peeled off without affecting the surface underneath. If a pen marker is used, the process may not be reversible and you are stuck with the results.

I have used it on my building LEDs without issues.

It is found in craft stores and is used for hobbyists working with stained glass projects. I don’t know if it is available all over the world, but perhaps similar materials are available. I also found it on the Amazon website. Here is a link for a starter set. I am sure, individual colors are also available. I picked up red, white and yellow. A little goes a long way, you don’t need much for the lights.

https://www.amazon.com/G...0CIVYWWQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Take good care. It may work for you. You can decide if it is worth a try.

Dwight

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Zme  
#30 Posted : 22 September 2022 03:06:41(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope you are well.

I finally received my LEDs the other day.

I think I mentioned I was going to use them on my steam locomotives and they work for these just fine.

I tried them on my Railbus and discovered they work well for these also but when I looked on eBay, the seller must have sold out. Darn, I could use ten pair of these to upgrade my steam locomotives and railbuses.

I wish I would have known these would work on so many different applications. Oh well.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Jags  
#31 Posted : 22 September 2022 03:16:25(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Hello, hope you are well.

I finally received my LEDs the other day.

I think I mentioned I was going to use them on my steam locomotives and they work for these just fine.

I tried them on my Railbus and discovered they work well for these also but when I looked on eBay, the seller must have sold out. Darn, I could use ten pair of these to upgrade my steam locomotives and railbuses.

I wish I would have known these would work on so many different applications. Oh well.

Take good care.

Dwight

Yes, it is unfortunate that they are no longer available. Luckily, I was able to purchase what I need but I also did not purchase any extras. It's a good thing that I don't think that I will be purchasing too many more Locomotives. But with this hobby you never know!
Offline parakiet  
#32 Posted : 23 September 2022 19:23:07(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   

It's a good thing that I don't think that I will be purchasing too many more Locomotives. But with this hobby you never know!

The will is still strong..
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline Zme  
#33 Posted : 24 September 2022 02:10:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well.

I experimented with my white/white LED module on a railbus and discovered the two emitters are on each side of the chip, just opposite each other. (It is clearer to see from the photo below.)On my other LED module, the emitters were above and below. When the chip was installed, the red emitter was located at the bottom and when sealed off, would present the red at the trailing side.

Here is a photo of the light chip which was coated with the ruby red Plaid (Gallery Glass)brand liquid plastic. As you can see the white emitter is on the right and the coated emitter on the left. The Plaid material was at first, a paste like material which was actually a pink color. After it dried, it hardens and gives a glossy deeper colored shell. Because the emitter on this chip is really small, I applied four careful coats to get the darker red color I wanted.

UserPostedImage

On the railbus, the red lights up the entire cabin and is therefore not exactly prototypical. Perhaps I will try the LED chip on a electric locomotives or a diesel. I did not receive the washer mentioned in the video, but perhaps I have a substitute.

This was an interesting process, and easily tried.

Take good care

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#34 Posted : 24 September 2022 05:25:48(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Paint the back & side with some black touch up paint so red light comes out where you need it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#35 Posted : 16 October 2022 19:17:54(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
https://www.z-hightech.d...g=6&sprache=englisch

I have purchased LED's several times from Achim and am always satisfied with his products.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
ZmeBenP