Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2022 00:51:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The exhibition coordinator for the local MRR club I attend is looking for European prototype model layouts for our 2024 exhibition. It will be the clubs 50th anniversary, so we are looking to put on a significantly bigger exhibition than we usually do. As the exhibition coordinator is very familiar with what layouts of UK prototype are on the exhibition circuit, he is not that familiar with the European and other overseas layouts on the MRR scene, and so has reached out to me to help source layouts of suitable exhibition standard.

So do you have a modular layout that could be exhibited?
Exhibition date is first weekend of March 2024.
Location is in Abingdon, Oxfordshire (just south of Oxford City).
Setup Friday night. Exhibition will be open Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm both days.
Accommodation will be provided for your layout team for Friday night, Saturday night, and if you come from far enough away also for Sunday night so you don't need to travel long distance on Sunday.
Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed.
The club will have an insurance policy in place to cover your layout in transport and on site.
We will have have our club members available to help hump your layout in and help set up, and dismantle if needed.
The exhibition will be open to the local public as well as followers of the MRR exhibition scene.

He is looking for layouts in following (loosely defined) categories: -
German steam (he likes the look of the black engines with red wheels and trim).
European narrow gauge.
European modern image.
In short, any European image layout.
Also after American image layouts.

Any scale will be accepted (well, G1/LGB to Z, anyway, 1:1 will be rather awkward).

So if you have an exhibition quality layout of anywhere, then do PM me, and I will put you in contact with our coordinator to discuss suitability of your layout and terms.

If you decide to arrive early or stay on afterwards (this will be at your expense unfortunately) we can probably make arrangements for a visit to the Didcot Railway Center on the old GWR loco servicing site and/or Pendon Museum layout (just outside Didcot).

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline danmarklinman  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2022 11:11:59(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The exhibition coordinator for the local MRR club I attend is looking for European prototype model layouts for our 2024 exhibition. It will be the clubs 50th anniversary, so we are looking to put on a significantly bigger exhibition than we usually do. As the exhibition coordinator is very familiar with what layouts of UK prototype are on the exhibition circuit, he is not that familiar with the European and other overseas layouts on the MRR scene, and so has reached out to me to help source layouts of suitable exhibition standard.

So do you have a modular layout that could be exhibited?
Exhibition date is first weekend of March 2024.
Location is in Abingdon, Oxfordshire (just south of Oxford City).
Setup Friday night. Exhibition will be open Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm both days.
Accommodation will be provided for your layout team for Friday night, Saturday night, and if you come from far enough away also for Sunday night so you don't need to travel long distance on Sunday.
Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed.
The club will have an insurance policy in place to cover your layout in transport and on site.
We will have have our club members available to help hump your layout in and help set up, and dismantle if needed.
The exhibition will be open to the local public as well as followers of the MRR exhibition scene.

He is looking for layouts in following (loosely defined) categories: -
German steam (he likes the look of the black engines with red wheels and trim).
European narrow gauge.
European modern image.
In short, any European image layout.
Also after American image layouts.

Any scale will be accepted (well, G1/LGB to Z, anyway, 1:1 will be rather awkward).

So if you have an exhibition quality layout of anywhere, then do PM me, and I will put you in contact with our coordinator to discuss suitability of your layout and terms.

If you decide to arrive early or stay on afterwards (this will be at your expense unfortunately) we can probably make arrangements for a visit to the Didcot Railway Center on the old GWR loco servicing site and/or Pendon Museum layout (just outside Didcot).

Hi, it’s been my wish to build an exhibition layout for Marklin to run on!! I’ve been planning one just lately amongst all the other stuff of lifeLOL But I have come up with a plan which would work for me and my transportation. Yes I could include others with pleasure, but only on layout operating and stock. Building and transportation are better left to one person as it gets to difficult to organise ect.
My plan is simple and involves a alpine scene, which of course suites most Marklin models!! This would be a large oval with space in the middle for around two operators and others on the outside. Mobile stations!! There will be a scenic section on the front, of double track large curves, with if I can squeeze it in, Faller vehicles. Basically a parade track.
My experience in exhibition layouts, tells me. Simple is best. As tech, does not like being moved around. I’m planning to use the old style Marklin Catenary as it will stand up to the rigger’s of moving about and is easier to repair.
The storage yard will be C track and hopefully expandable. Depends on interest in other people joining the 🤩 fun. I’ll have a plan when it’s finalised.
2024 is enough time to do the woodwork and the small scenic board 😆
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2022 12:13:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'll be interested to see what you come up with Dan. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mrmarklin  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2022 22:16:04(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Dan,

Take it from a module operator with thirty years experience. Don’t use old Märklin catenary. The posts are plastic and will break. We use Sommerfeldt for our modules.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline danmarklinman  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2022 23:10:05(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Dan,

Take it from a module operator with thirty years experience. Don’t use old Märklin catenary. The posts are plastic and will break. We use Sommerfeldt for our modules.

I might well do a diesel only line, as overhead line of any sought can be difficult when setting up at a show?
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2022 06:10:39(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Dan,

I might well do a diesel only line, as overhead line of any sought can be difficult when setting up at a show?

Go to www.ETE.org and find out about module specifications. Catenary is very workable, but of course is an additional complication.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2022 17:07:46(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
It’s just dawned on me, that I might just be able to bring my current layout out to the above show. It’s small enough to fit into a van. But it will need a bit of work to make sure it gets there without damage. I can then use my own stock and run it as intended, an SNCB line.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 28 August 2022 19:32:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
It’s just dawned on me, that I might just be able to bring my current layout out to the above show. It’s small enough to fit into a van. But it will need a bit of work to make sure it gets there without damage. I can then use my own stock and run it as intended, an SNCB line.

That would be great Dan. What floor area would you require for it?

Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 28 August 2022 23:18:43(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

That would be great Dan. What floor area would you require for it?

Hi Allan, should be ok with about 2 metres square.
For me and the layout:-)
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan