Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2022 21:35:42(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I am in the process of adding scenery like house and roads, streets, buildings, etc to my layout. I have an area set aside for a town modeled after the town I live in. Problem is; if I arrange buildings according to their position in the 1:1 scale, the backs of buildings will show and not the fronts that identify the building. Any ideas of how to arrange things so the fronts of all buildings show up. The village is visible only from one vantage point. I guess I could rearrange the town, but that would mean adding features(roads) that don't now exist. The current plan of the town is a single 2-lane road running down the center of the town with businesses and houses on both sides facing the road. Businesses on the far side would show their fronts while those on the near side would show the backs.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2022 00:52:16(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Mr. Ron, at times we have to place things where they fit, but may not face the best direction. I.E., my Bonn station is sandwiched between the platform and a diagonal inclined double arch bridge. I couldn't place it anywhere so both front and rear platform sides are visible. I chose to see the trackside rear serving two tracks with the platform shed over both. At least the walking passengers can be seen.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2022 01:26:53(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I am an architectural model maker (retired). I have built some very extensive models, one was an entire suburb in Sydney.

I think you need to ask yourself, are you building an architectural scene or a scene that enhances the trains.

You are the one with an architectural licence for your layout!

On my layout I have put big trees at the front and small trees at the back to help enhance depth of the layout. Massaged roads to fit the unrealistic tight radiuses of track. Placed people where they can be seen from the front (too expensive otherwise).
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2022 05:39:05(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
It appears that in regard to the "miniatur wunderland" layout in Hamburg, there is much detailed scenery that cannot be seen by the public. It is by watching Pentium videos that we can see what goes on behind the scenes.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Online kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2022 02:08:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Model train layouts are an artistry in themselves.
I place buildings, roads, trees and other items (including signals, platforms etc) where they can be seen by an onlooker.
But they cannot be random.
Example is that roads must serve a purpose.

I make roads along the front of the layout to give some space for small grand children to push cars and trucks up and down.
That works a treat for them and does not bother the running of the layout.
One road crosses tracks on a grade crossing. That gives them plenty of thrills.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2022 08:07:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
I am an architectural model maker (retired). I have built some very extensive models, one was an entire suburb in Sydney.

I think you need to ask yourself, are you building an architectural scene or a scene that enhances the trains.

You are the one with an architectural licence for your layout!

On my layout I have put big trees at the front and small trees at the back to help enhance depth of the layout. Massaged roads to fit the unrealistic tight radiuses of track. Placed people where they can be seen from the front (too expensive otherwise).

I think this is happened a lot with layouts whereas the landscape in particular trees and other objects are the same size regardless of whether they are supposed to be far away or in front of you, it's called perspective.
I have taken this to another dimension especially with mountains )(rocks = cork bark) as they recline to about 75° backwards and also getting narrower at the top. this gives you an illusion a.) they are further away and b.) making the mountain higher that it seems to be., another tip could be to avoid trees all together as you would automatically ruin a far distance but is always up to the modeler what he or she decides what to do. it depends what depth you like to create or what the distance is from where you are standing

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2022 16:21:50(UTC)
Copenhagen

I think you could even get a good result if you only (or mostly) modeled one side of the town road - like a set on a theatre stage.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2022 01:11:44(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
That is effectively what I did. The layout could only be a certain width to fit in a space. So part of the layout design was to have a row of building to form the backdrop. So from the track > station > road> buildings. I decided not to have a backdrop, even though I have a large printer. For my layout I don't think a backdrop would really add that much.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mr. Ron  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2022 05:15:43(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Thank you all for your input. It gives me much food for thought and what my next step will be.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Mr. Ron  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2022 01:39:41(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I was watching a video of a layout in GB and there was a video being taken from a moving train showing all the trackwork and more importantly the scenery and structures thar are not normally seen from the operator's position. What the camera saw was the detail work on structures that you wouldn't see otherwise. This is in response to my original post. I guess if I am going to see all the layout, I will have to use a car mounted camera and watch it on a TV.