Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2022 00:47:11(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I would like to know how the 3-axle passenger cars, catalog #4067,7069 and 4080 go around curves. The center axle would have to move perpendicular to the length of the car while the 1st and 3rd axles would follow the track. I don't see how the center axle operates with this setup. Certainly, I have never seen it on an American railroad. Can someone tell me how the 3 axle car works?
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2022 03:51:08(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I would like to know how the 3-axle passenger cars, catalog #4067,7069 and 4080 go around curves. The center axle would have to move perpendicular to the length of the car while the 1st and 3rd axles would follow the track. I don't see how the center axle operates with this setup. Certainly, I have never seen it on an American railroad. Can someone tell me how the 3 axle car works?

You already have it figured - the centre axle moves a little side to side. In reality this amount of movement is very small. On the model railroad it's not a problem - the shaft has enough length past the wheels where it attaches to the frame.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2022 13:41:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ron
I have seen 2 designs
- older cars 1950 and after have a side play on all axles, especially the one in the middle. Cars with blunt axles (before 52) or needle axles (smaller cylindrical extremity to reduce frition
- newer cars with conic axles & bearings: the center axle is moving sideways with its bearings and - on some rare models - are changing the orientation of the extremity axles
Here is a good example of a recent 3 axle car with sideways-moving axle and bearings (4206)
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean