Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2022 09:03:11(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Joined: 26/07/2021(UTC)
Posts: 233
Location: Sydney
Australia - Queensland

Model trains helping people with dementia at Sunshine Coast aged care home

https://www.abc.net.au/n...t-nursing-home/101282190

'The miniature railway chugged to life as a pilot project between the Estia nursing home and Dementia Support Australia (DSA) after social isolation became an issue during COVID-19 restrictions.

The idea was sparked after an assessment of dementia patients at the facility, many of whom had a background working on railways.

Lifestyle coordinator Wendy May said the railway had a profound impact on residents.

"I believe this railway set is like a piece of glue that brings everybody together and that will keep bringing people together," she said

"It's an attraction within itself." '
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Drongo  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2022 15:11:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Joined: 03/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,149
Location: Sydney, NSW
It's not a new idea. Two of us built 5 layouts for nursing homes in the greater Sydney area for Thompson Nursing Home. We did our first on in 2015 and we were to make more however Covid struct and we had to close down. It was a huge success as the grand and great grandchildren would come to the homes for a visit and the trains would entertain them while their parents could talk peacefully with the residents.
The layouts were run by Traincontroller with a push button to activate the trains, lights and various action displays. They ran for approximately 5 minutes and I had a setup to record the number of times the button was pressed. On average the daily run was around 20 times. The layouts were approximately 15 square metres each. I really miss creating these layouts and seeing the faces of everyone when the layouts were running, especially the young children. One day while we were doing the regular service, a nurse brought a resident in to see the trains. The elderly lady was not well and was in a wheelchair. The nurse had to point out to the elderly lady that the trains were moving. She looked up at the trains going around and a small smile came across her face, and the nurse said that was the first time she has smiled since being here.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Website - www.simplesite.com/gregstrain
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2022 17:53:59(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Joined: 06/07/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,262
My daughter passed that along to me this morning as she lives on Kangaroo Island, Australia. Nice article indeed!
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2022 13:22:43(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Joined: 15/12/2005(UTC)
Posts: 3,350
Location: Spain
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
It's not a new idea. Two of us built 5 layouts for nursing homes in the greater Sydney area for Thompson Nursing Home. We did our first on in 2015 and we were to make more however Covid struct and we had to close down. It was a huge success as the grand and great grandchildren would come to the homes for a visit and the trains would entertain them while their parents could talk peacefully with the residents.

Oh, wow!
Did you share any of that here on the forum¿?
(Tried to search for "Thompson Nursing Home" here, but nothing)
15 m2 for each layout is absolutly huge! I would love to see photos, trackplans etc.

Edit; Found something, but no photos...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2022 13:48:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 1,699
Location: Michigan, Troy
I think when I am old if I need to live in a senior facility, I would like my layout there if they have a room to fit it. Otherwise the local senior community center perhaps.
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2022 08:33:32(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Joined: 03/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,149
Location: Sydney, NSW

Here are the 5 layouts we made. I made a miscalculation with their sizes - they range from 5 to 7 sq metres each. Due to Covid restrictions the layouts are non operational and 3 of the layouts have been removed from the homes. I hope you enjoy watching them.

Regards
Greg











Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Website - www.simplesite.com/gregstrain
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2022 13:47:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Joined: 10/02/2021(UTC)
Posts: 1,699
Location: Michigan, Troy
All 5 are impressive! The animated animals are cute too. I don't know what Marklin was thinking when they made the Talent railcar with the LED holograph of the passenger and opening doors. It was a unique trick, but not real. Roco has had opening doors for a decade, and sliding ones wouldn't be difficult with a piezo motor. A walking passenger could also enter the thresh hold, like the Loco driver appears and turns in the latest br 212 thay made. Now thay will probably do it.
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2022 14:59:59(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Joined: 03/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,149
Location: Sydney, NSW
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
All 5 are impressive! The animated animals are cute too. I don't know what Marklin was thinking when they made the Talent railcar with the LED holograph of the passenger and opening doors. It was a unique trick, but not real. Roco has had opening doors for a decade, and sliding ones wouldn't be difficult with a piezo motor. A walking passenger could also enter the thresh hold, like the Loco driver appears and turns in the latest br 212 thay made. Now thay will probably do it.


This particular model we purchased 4 of them and eventually all 4 were returned for repairs. The video screens would breakdown - we didn't bother to use them if they broke down again. So w have 4 of them sitting at my place. A typical Marklin idea that was pushed out the door by the marketing people with the production people not wanting to sell them.

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Website - www.simplesite.com/gregstrain
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 03 August 2022 01:12:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Joined: 05/12/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,516
Location: United States
Thanks for posting those videos of your layouts Greg. They are most impressive. ThumpUp

I tend to think that so much concentrated activity and landscaping can be distracting, but you really made these a treat for the eyes, everywhere you look. It is easy to see why they were activated often. I saw many good ideas that I might incorporate in my next layout.

It is a real shame that they are not operational right now. Do you intend to reactivate them when our world gets back to being more normal again?
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
I have models from Era I to Era VI, but I try to focus on Eras I & III. Whoops, that one got away from me. Let's just say I focus on cool trains, regardless of the particulars :-)
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 03 August 2022 12:31:29(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Joined: 03/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,149
Location: Sydney, NSW
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for posting those videos of your layouts Greg. They are most impressive. ThumpUp

I tend to think that so much concentrated activity and landscaping can be distracting, but you really made these a treat for the eyes, everywhere you look. It is easy to see why they were activated often. I saw many good ideas that I might incorporate in my next layout.

It is a real shame that they are not operational right now. Do you intend to reactivate them when our world gets back to being more normal again?


Thanks for the kind words, Jim. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that they'll be reactivated as there are only 2 layouts still in existence and they haven't been touched for over 2 years. Heaven knows what kind of condition they are in - we'll just have to wait and see.

Regards

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Website - www.simplesite.com/gregstrain
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.343 seconds.