Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2022 22:21:51(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Hi, hope everyone is doing splendidly!

I'm beginning to plan a new layout to entertain my grandson - something very simple, but it looks like it will bear quite a resemblance to Noch's Cortina plan. However, I plan to use Peco flexible track, seeing as I have a box of the stuff, and I also plan to split the track into four sections so I can have two trains chasing each other.

My question is, is there an alternative to the Marklin insulated rail joiners? I used these very successfully on my current layout but, seeing as they are quite asymmetrical and don't really support one half of the join very well, I suspect they won't work so well with flexible track.

Please let my have the benefit of your wisdom if you're aware of an alternative.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Chris
Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2022 23:18:38(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Small air gaps?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2022 01:30:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Hi, hope everyone is doing splendidly!

I'm beginning to plan a new layout to entertain my grandson - something very simple, but it looks like it will bear quite a resemblance to Noch's Cortina plan. However, I plan to use Peco flexible track, seeing as I have a box of the stuff, and I also plan to split the track into four sections so I can have two trains chasing each other.

My question is, is there an alternative to the Marklin insulated rail joiners? I used these very successfully on my current layout but, seeing as they are quite asymmetrical and don't really support one half of the join very well, I suspect they won't work so well with flexible track.

Please let my have the benefit of your wisdom if you're aware of an alternative.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Chris

Well, why not use the Peco SL-11 insulated rail joiners that Ross mentions in his piece on the 7286/7687 turntable?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2022 11:28:29(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Chris,

I have used Peco's SL-311 insulated joiners - they market them as suitable for both code 80 & 55 rails. I have used them both on Peco flexible track and Märklin track. If you use the air gap method, I would suggest actually gluing a bit of plastic card in the gap, so that the gap does not get closed due to heat expansion or any other track movement.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2022 12:57:48(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Well, why not use the Peco SL-11 insulated rail joiners that Ross mentions in his piece on the 7286/7687 turntable?

Apologies, I should have been more specific - it's a Z gauge layout I'm planning.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2022 13:01:54(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

I have used Peco's SL-311 insulated joiners - they market them as suitable for both code 80 & 55 rails. I have used them both on Peco flexible track and Märklin track. If you use the air gap method, I would suggest actually gluing a bit of plastic card in the gap, so that the gap does not get closed due to heat expansion or any other track movement.

Carim

Thanks Carim - that's a good suggestion - I never even considered those. I'm nervous about the air gap method as I feel I need to keep the rails aligned, although I'm planning on ensuring all of the breaks are on straight sections of track so that should help a bit.

Cheers

Chris

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2022 14:02:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Apologies, I should have been more specific - it's a Z gauge layout I'm planning.

Cheers

Chris

Ah, sorry, I didn't pick up that it is the small scale forum.

As Carim said, don't trust air gaps, especially if you are going to exhibit the layout. The expansion of the rails with temperature will definitely give you problems. I have seen rails buckle and got out of gauge in areas where they weren't properly laid due to the temperature rise of a hall full of people.

Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2022 15:34:11(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Rummaging through my bag of spares this afternoon, I've found a sprue of full size insulating joiners. I've seen these in old Marklin catalogues/documentation but didn't realise I had any. The ones I do have came with a bag of joiners I bought on ebay years ago.

Anyway, my immediate need is covered - but it's a shame that Marklin no longer manufacture these.

Cheers

Chris
Offline Schelly  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2022 21:39:50(UTC)
Schelly

United States   
Atlas 2091 Isolators
Plastic Rail Joiners - Non-conductive
Blister Pack Includes 24 Pieces
for z scale

Scale hobo sells these for Rokuhan track. I do not know if they will work with PICO track but he may know.
AKA husafreak
Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 06 June 2022 14:32:40(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Quote:

As Carim said, don't trust air gaps, especially if you are going to exhibit the layout. The expansion of the rails with temperature will definitely give you problems. I have seen rails buckle and got out of gauge in areas where they weren't properly laid due to the temperature rise of a hall full of people.

Air gaps give room for expansion. Gluing everything down without room to expand or contract will put stress on your tracks until the weakest link gives up.. there it will buckle or get out of gauge..
Offline Carim  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2022 16:00:42(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
You can have air gaps to allow for rail expansion, but I would not use them for isolating gaps as any expansion of the rails may close the gap. In fact, if you take a close look at a lot of insulating rail joiners, as well as being made out of a non conducting material, there often is a bit of material in the middle of the joiner to stop the rails from touching.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim