Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rob11966  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2022 22:57:13(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know where to get wheel contact wipers (trix steam model)? I would like to replace one which was slightly damaged when I was re-soldering a wire to it. It is not listed on the exploded spare parts diagram. It is the wiper from the locomotive body, the one on the tender is listed. and and to my surprise, my other models don't seem to have them listed as a spare part either. It seems odd as it is an easy part to damage and also easy to replace. The current one is serviceable but I thought that I would replace it if possible. Any help greatly appreciated.
Rob
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2022 11:47:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rob11966 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know where to get wheel contact wipers (trix steam model)? I would like to replace one which was slightly damaged when I was re-soldering a wire to it. It is not listed on the exploded spare parts diagram. It is the wiper from the locomotive body, the one on the tender is listed. and and to my surprise, my other models don't seem to have them listed as a spare part either. It seems odd as it is an easy part to damage and also easy to replace. The current one is serviceable but I thought that I would replace it if possible. Any help greatly appreciated.
Rob

Hi Rob,

I think it would be a great help if you were to include the item number you're referring to, and even a photo showing the specific part.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Rob11966  
#3 Posted : 30 May 2022 12:31:16(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Rob,

I think it would be a great help if you were to include the item number you're referring to, and even a photo showing the specific part.

Cheers

Absolutely and apologies for not including it in the initial post. One of the issues is that it is not listed as a separate part. The part in question is circled. It is not 'part 11', that belongs to a pin. It is hard to see but it is a separate part to the chassis.

The model is the Trix freight loco 22458.

Rob

Wiper.JPG
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 30 May 2022 15:07:40(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rob
I am certainly not a "know it all" but here are 2 thoughts:
- It is probable, those loco sliders come with the loco PCB and Märklin / Trix considers it can only be changed at the factory. I know it does not helpBlushing
- those wheel sliders do not wear out much unless bent "to increase contact". I think what is needed is contact cleaning. Märklin uses them a lot (yes for 3 rails) and they normally do not wear out.

I know it is different but I have the exact same model in 3 rails and it works well.
Sorry to ask this: have you cleaned all your wheels (cotton swab in Isopropyl Alcool)? This must include the pony truck and its contacts

I forgot to mention that if by any chances you have removed axles (traction tire exchange) then, you may have not installed the slider on the inside of the wheel when re-installing the wheelset..

All this does wonders
Jean
Offline Rob11966  
#5 Posted : 30 May 2022 16:20:16(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply and advice - I am interested to hear that the 3 rail system has the same wipers. I do like this engine but I am afraid it has always been a bit problematic and has never really run consistently well. It was OK for a while but recently has been quite a poor runner - despite all of the cleaning you have outlined above. However, read on for a litany of disasters, all of my own making....

I was re cleaning it again the other night and broke the plastic pin holding the left connecting rod assembly (part 14 on the diagram above) to the wheel. Please don't ask how, suffice to say it was carelessness, combined with stupidity. Anyhow, I have ordered a replacement part from Marklin but when dissembling the engine, the motor slipped and pulled the wire off the wipers bending them slightly - I have pushed them back into shape and they are OK, but I would rather replace if the part is available. All my own fault unfortunately, and just one of those evenings where one error was compounded by another.

The good news is that the connecting rod assembly was in stock and is due to be shipped. I will complete the repairs when it arrives in a couple of weeks or so, and if it runs properly that's a win (of sorts). I'm a glass half full type of person.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rob11966
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 30 May 2022 23:34:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rob
We all have met difficulties especially with the newer Märklin designs (very delicate parts, wiring, etc)
As a 76 years old person I need an illuminated magnifier, a working foam, a tiny USB regulated soldering iron additional to the regular, temperature controlled WELLER model. It is not always easy to work on Märklin models.
A couple of years back I had a catastrophe with the distribution of a very nice model. I ordered a replacement for 25€ at Märklinshop and the damage was corrected
It was a Märklin 37166 KPEV T16.

Regarding your wipers, you can easily straighten them so that the small hemispheric part is in contact with the wheel inside flank and so that the wiper rest place (when no wheel) is approx 1 or 2mm farther than the wheel flank.

Sending the loco to Germany may cause you trouble: shipment costs, unavailable parts as Märklin is quality obsessed (they will not bend or rectify the bending of a wiper). This would result in high costs and long waiting time, possibly a return with mention "repair impossible" Just my opinion.

My present catastrophe is with this guy
3425 Kittel R.png
This is about re-installing SMD LEDs (approx 1.2 mm x 0.7 mm)
BTW: it is 3 rails but has 4 wheel wipers
We will succeed!
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jerdenberg  
#7 Posted : 31 May 2022 08:43:58(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
From the picture I can't see if your wiper is similar to the ones that clip in place under models like the Big Boy, Challenger, and PA models (your remark about soldering suggests otherwise), but recently I had some difficulty in finding replacement wheel wipers for my Trix PA models. I was informed that they are not produced anymore … Later, when I attempted to find the Kadee-like couplers that came with Trix versions of US boxcars and the like in the early 2000s, I found those are not available anymore either [and more recent Trix US rolling stock seems to have the standard Märklin close couplers].
So, it is quite possible that the part you were looking for has been taken out of production.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline Rob11966  
#8 Posted : 31 May 2022 10:13:46(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the words of support - they are extremely delicate but I should have done better! For all the reasons you have articulated, I would rather do the repairs myself and I have received confirmation today that the part has been shipped.

Hi Jeroen,

I know the clip on wipers that you are talking about. This model has them on the tender. The wipers on the loco body are bonded to a small plastic insert that is held in place by the screw on strip that locks the axles into place. The wipers have the wires soldered to them. I think in reality, they are OK and I am probably being overly cautious. The model is only a couple of years old and I am really surprised not to see them offered as a spare part. They are fragile but also easily removed and replaced. I am tempted to write to Marklin service or contact my local dealer (who is very good with repairs) and I will do this if there is any issue when I finish repairing the damage. I will send a photo of it when I open it up again to solder the wires back on.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far.

Rob
Offline Rob11966  
#9 Posted : 03 June 2022 13:05:34(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Just by way of follow up - this is the part in question. I think it would also be possible just to replace the metal part as each wiper is detachable from the plastic mounting plate. Wipers.jpg
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 03 June 2022 13:15:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rob
It seems your part is not damaged IMO so just clean it, adjust each contact so it has to bend by 1 to 2 mm to accept the wheel flange. Finished.
Those parts last a life time
Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 03 June 2022 14:23:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Just by way of follow up - this is the part in question. I think it would also be possible just to replace the metal part as each wiper is detachable from the plastic mounting plate.

Using a photo like that you should be able to email Marklin to attempt to obtain a part number. If you word your email right they may just send it gratis.

I would expect they would only supply the complete wiper assembly as you show it, rather than just the wipers themselves. Note that on the parts list the corresponding part for the tender is shown as an assembly, and that is how it would be supplied.

Offline Rob11966  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2022 00:14:06(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Jean, I am a perfectionist and it goes against the grain, but even so, I think that is good advice. I will assemble it and see how it goes. As you say, I am sure it will be OK. If there are any issues, I will do what Alan has suggested. I have found some of these hobby companies to be incredibly helpful. I remember once Faller sent me a very small part I had lost (gratis) just based on my description. It arrived from Germany about a week after my email.

One interesting point of note is that the wheel wipers contact two wheels on each side. One of the wheels that the wiper contact has the traction tyres. It seems like an unusual design to have a wiper on a wheel that is largely insulated. If it was positioned 1 space wheel down, the wipers would contact 2 metal wheels on each side. Maybe the flange is a useful contact on sharper bends?