Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2022 09:03:03(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Apparently Scale trains have acquired the HO Scale Moulds from MTH trains, I have sent them a email if they are willing to make US Motive Power that can run on the Marklin HO 3-Rail system.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2022 18:04:16(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Correct- they bought them some time ago. As I understand it wasn't everything, but it sounded like all the steam locomotives, and a few more project that MTH had under development. They will be amending the tooling for ESU electronics, which is fantastic news.

I asked a rep at a train show in January when we might see anything. He said that the tooling transfer etc is a bigger job than one would think, but its all in the works. He seemed to hint we would see a first announcement later this year.

As for 3 rail, that might be a tough call commercially. I think it would be smart of them to design DC models for quick conversion (pickup shoe room and mount/screw, plus instructions to swap over the outer rail feeds where the center rail wire would go. Or better yet design a PCB with a switch or similar) That to me sounds reasonable and makes for a 10-15 min conversion, albeit with DC wheels.

But then again, it all depends what they are coming out with and if there is a market for it

Edited by user 19 May 2022 21:17:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline bgemski  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2022 23:35:17(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I would love to see more AC North American Locomotives. I know there are some GP's put in the wild but have been proven rather rare and I haven't seen any for sale. I try to keep searches on ebay and other than a few steamers and the GG1 I have found there has been nothing available. Fingers crossed!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2022 01:17:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Brian, since Marklin has done the new EMD UK and european diesels, they have the tooling for the GP, FP, and SD series as far as the frame, running gear and bogies.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2022 01:24:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
ESU has a system that makes the 2/3 rail issue disappear. When the slider is pushed into place, it is three rail. when you pull it out, it is two rail.

It works perfectly and could make that tough part go away. Of course Mother Märklin goes her own way on rails, so it is more than just 2 or 3 rail to consider.

A small market and long odds IMO.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline bgemski  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2022 00:52:18(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Brian, since Marklin has done the new EMD UK and european diesels, they have the tooling for the GP, FP, and SD series as far as the frame, running gear and bogies.

I’m going to have to take a closer look into those. Changing shells is a challenge I would like to take on.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2022 01:28:16(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

I received a reply from the Scale Trains sales team the other day that they have no plans into expanding into the 3-rail market for HO scale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline bgemski  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2022 01:37:36(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Oh well thanks for the heads up. I knew it was a long shot. It is time to brush off my scratch building skills and see what I can muster up!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2022 21:20:09(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
ESU has a system that makes the 2/3 rail issue disappear. When the slider is pushed into place, it is three rail. when you pull it out, it is two rail.

It works perfectly and could make that tough part go away. Of course Mother Märklin goes her own way on rails, so it is more than just 2 or 3 rail to consider.

A small market and long odds IMO.

This is interesting, is this in their own locomotives you mean? And regardless, do they sell the decoder/board or whatever for conversions or retrofitting? A fantastic idea

SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2022 00:13:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
How could that operate?
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2022 00:58:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
This is interesting, is this in their own locomotives you mean? And regardless, do they sell the decoder/board or whatever for conversions or retrofitting? A fantastic idea

Yes - that is a feature of at least some ESU locos, although I don't know how many of their locos work that way.

I am not aware of them selling the parts to do that as a conversion but it would be great if they did. ThumpUp

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj