Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hieronymus  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2022 13:24:58(UTC)
hieronymus

Ireland   

Hi,

I am developing software to connect to the Marklin Central Station.
It will have 2 functions not found anywhere else ( as fas as i know, please correct).

1. You can watch other railroad fan's layouts. The next version will allow to watch the track layout (including switches, lokomotives) on the go, you dont need to be in the same network,
2. The USB webcam is supported, also you will be able to watch your webcam on your mobile device ( currently IOS supported)

If you would like to test the current release, it is free for download in the Microsoft store:

Central Station Online

Any feedback is welcome

Thanks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hieronymus
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2022 07:32:09(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hieronymus Go to Quoted Post

1. You can watch other railroad fan's layouts. The next version will allow to watch the track layout (including switches, lokomotives) on the go, you dont need to be in the same network,
2. The USB webcam is supported, also you will be able to watch your webcam on your mobile device ( currently IOS supported)

Not sure how this would get much traction with M users. We love to share things after staging and editing things. Sounds like you want to have a common server to share a layout via webcam, somewhat like minecraft, but not really sure of the functionality or purpose of that for IRL layouts since there is the personal vulnerability of streaming live. Its a very ambitious task, but perhaps you could elaborate more on what your intention is for interaction with other people, and why this would be something to engage in. I could see how seeing a cam on a mobile could be worthwhile for making videos or trouble shooting on large layouts and in hidden areas, but isnt that already possible is you have a cam system for one of your trains?

I mean I am all for screen sharing if you need to workshop something and have suggested using discord, as in the link of my post signature. I suggested Discord a few weeks ago and no one so far has been keen on it. Feel free to try and perhaps we can workshop your app a bit if I or anyone else has time to do that. Hope this comment was helpful.

Cheers and good luck,
Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline hieronymus  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2022 12:57:56(UTC)
hieronymus

Ireland   

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I agree the webcam is a bit problemmatic, but what i means is sharing layouts and the status of switches and lokomotives.

If you wish, you can share your track layouts ( as displayed on the central station) with others and the loks you have. Other users can browse through the layouts of others.

What about that?
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2022 21:09:42(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: hieronymus Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I agree the webcam is a bit problemmatic, but what i means is sharing layouts and the status of switches and lokomotives.

If you wish, you can share your track layouts ( as displayed on the central station) with others and the loks you have. Other users can browse through the layouts of others.

What about that?

If I were to do that, I would want to talk to the person I was sharing it with, and other screensharing apps like Discord or a platform like twitch would seem to be better as you share it from Train controlling program like Rocrail or whatever is on your screen. Its like wanting to have a supervised visit, rather than someone just being a public layout, that said, if there were a repository of sample layouts that could be discussed for their functionality and efficiency, I would be interested in that. There must be things like that of which I am currently unaware. But I could see workable or downloadable models or samples which could be uploaded by other users and tested in some kind of beta stage, without an actual layout in play, BUT with the intention of IR(MMR)L application. Simply moving to game-ification would not interest me, but having dry runs to sequencing would be excellent. Can anyone tell me if that works with CS3 or Rocrail already? If so, I need speak no further.

- Mark Five aka Mark5
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?