Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hans Haupt  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2022 16:38:01(UTC)
Hans Haupt

United States   
I have many passenger cars, running on a hybrid Digital and Analog voltage. I have many older locomotives that I cherish, and more digital loks I also like. therefore, I either run from a digital trafo or a analog (older style) trafo. The lights in the passenger cars flicker and I know installing a capacitor will act as a steady battery and the lights will not flicker anymore. What capacitors should I use, and how are they to be installed? Also, I use current conducting couplers...

Offline BenP  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2022 16:55:40(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hans Haupt Go to Quoted Post
I have many passenger cars, running on a hybrid Digital and Analog voltage. I have many older locomotives that I cherish, and more digital loks I also like. therefore, I either run from a digital trafo or a analog (older style) trafo. The lights in the passenger cars flicker and I know installing a capacitor will act as a steady battery and the lights will not flicker anymore. What capacitors should I use, and how are they to be installed? Also, I use current conducting couplers...

Parallel connect of small 470mF/25V capacitor. Shoe power (red) and wheel/wagon ground (black).

20220211_080100.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2022 17:10:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post
Parallel connect of small 470mF/25V capacitor.
For analogue operation and reversing voltages, better pick a 50 V capacitor. A resistor that limits the inrush current and a diode are useful add-ons.
Only use capacitors for DC, i. e. behind a rectifier.
You probably mean 470 µF or 0.470 mF.

Long story short: difficult to recommend flicker protection without knowing what types of lights are installed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Hans Haupt  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2022 17:20:39(UTC)
Hans Haupt

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For analogue operation and reversing voltages, better pick a 50 V capacitor. A resistor that limits the inrush current and a diode are useful add-ons.

Long story short: difficult to recommend flicker protection without knowing what types of lights are installed.

Many have LEDs, some I do not know, so will get both kinds. They are not very expensive. You mention a resistor and a diode, both seem useful. Any specs on those? and a schematic diagram would help as well. Thank You!

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2022 00:45:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hans Haupt Go to Quoted Post
Any specs on those? and a schematic diagram would help as well.
I found diagrams on German websites. I hope they help - along with automatic translation.

https://www.bahnjockel.de/pufferspeicher.html
https://www.1001-digital...trolyt-kondensatoren.php

The diagrams are from two-rail websites. As mentioned before, a 50 V capacitor should be able to handle the reversing voltage of analogue AC operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline BenP  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2022 03:13:17(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, microF, not milliF. The typical AC reverse pulse may damage LED strips, which are usually wired for less than 20V, whereas reversing pulse is closer to 25V (newer white transformers) or even more (old blue transformers).
I use rectifier (and capacitor) for digital current from track to LEDS, but not for basic AC lighting of building with LEDs (powered by inexpensive 18V transformer).

Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2022 07:53:32(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I used a pair of 50v 1000 uf capacitors in my tinplate carriages which operate on both analogue and digital by way of tiny bridge rectifiers. No flickering on a 5 coach consist with one pickup shoe and connections through 1.25 twin sockets. In my first conversion, i used one car as a master with the resistor and bridge supplying all other cars, but each car has2 of those capacitors. They are big, but I found smaller uf wasn't anywhere as good. If you fit them up under the roof, you cant really see them. I also used strip LEDs. On later plastic coaches with current carrying conductors, I started using capacitors, resistors and bridges in each coach. Only flicker with them was caused by the conductor couplings.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator