Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Markey  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2022 11:37:06(UTC)
Markey

Ireland   
Hello
I was test running two Marklin Steam locos ref 39010 and 37452.
I have three questions about the Locos that hopefully someone can answer.
I would like to know even tough them two models are about 14 to 15yrs old did others think that headlight and tail lights were dim and is there a way now to update them.
The other question I have is why is their a brass power pick up thing on the front sets of wheels on the tender of 39010 as I saw this when I was removing the loco body as I thought no power went to the Tracks.
My last question is in relation to the Steam Loco 37452 C45 I noticed that the sound effects for the loco was to fast for the speed it was going did others notice this I also noticed that the motor in this model is very similar to a CSine motor.
Thanks
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2022 12:39:07(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Markey,

Regarding the sound synchronocity (synchonousness):- if you are using a Märklin central station controller you can adjust the chuff rate.
Because this adjustment is what I call PID (Proportional Integral Derivative), it can be fiddly and the results can be random.
But worth a go.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2022 13:10:39(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Markey
Welcome to this great forum. Märklin enthusiast here from France.
Regarding the 39010 and 37452 lights they are made by LEDs (SMDs: Surface Mounted Devices) so it is about replacing the LED and the resistor.
It takes a special soldering un-soldering iron for SMDs (from 53€) and a kit of LEDs (usually O603 case) to be purchased on ebay. This is delicate works which also requires an illuminated magnifier a pot of soldering paste and a set of SMD resistors. We are talking about component 1 to 2 mm long.

Regarding current pick-up Märklin on almost all its steamers includes a metal blade to spring the front bogie and also to be in contact with the axles. Same with the trailing bissel (Laufgestell). This is to improve current pickup return while the current pick-up is made by the slider.
Here is the spring blade on the bogie

Sans titre.png

Regarding the sound effect on the 37452, I am not sure but on my 37450 (BR 45 quite similar to your 37452) the tchuffing sounds are initiated by a hall sensor and a tiny magnet in on of the driving wheels. It is very likely yours is similar. Both models use a tiny bell-shaped motor.

So it may be the programming has been lost and my advice is to reset the loco to its factory settings.
On many Märklin Steamers without hall sensors, the steam chuffs intervals are adjusted by CV57 and CV58

Note: on my 37450, I ended up replacing the decoder with a mSD3 decoder and I programmed the sounds of the BR45 using my CS2. This is because the sounds were too simplified on the factory decoder.
Here is the loco after its transformation

I hope this helps
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Copenhagen  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2022 13:30:29(UTC)
Copenhagen

About the chuff rate: I have changed it on a few Marklin locos. It is on CV 58 (maybe not on all Marklin locos!?). Increasing the value will lower the chuff rate. On one locomotive I went from the factory preset 90 to 97. I believe it will only work on slow and medium speeds, on higher speeds the sound can be different.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Markey  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2022 13:58:48(UTC)
Markey

Ireland   
Mark Here
Thank you all for you help and assistance.
I forgot to say that when I removed the Steam Loco Ref 37452 from it packaging on the very top of the tender I found 2 spots of rust on one of the railings very noticeable.
The Buffers on one end of another Electric Loco that I have had rust to ref 39579 C103 it doesn't seem possible to replace them buffers either.
Would just like to know is this a common problem with Marklin locos.
I also had issues with rust on a my Big Boy ref 37991 on the tender railing and one clip thing holding it on has snapped for some reason but only a small area.
The locos are stored in a dry location.I put on some of the Motor oil on the affected area whether that's right or not I took action.
One more thing I forgot to say I'd have about 20 Marklin Locos in my collection.
The booklet you get with the locos telling you everything like how to maintain it etc in every loco nearly all the staples have all gone from rust and it looks horrible esp if I wish to sell them on ebay or whatever.
I don't know why Marklin can't use treated staples that don't rust.
Thanks Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markey
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2022 15:49:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Mark
About rusting buffers. I also have this problem and I spray a little WD40 in a bottle cap.
Then with a fine brush, I put a little WD40 on the buffer and on the coupling buckle (they are likely to rust too).
Finish by wiping the excess with a paper tissue and finished. You are good for a few years
Of course you do this with railings too. Maybe your train environment is not as dry as you think.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2022 16:27:13(UTC)
Copenhagen

No expert but the local clima can have a great influence on things (Western Ireland, close to the Atlantic Sea) and also where in the house things are kept (attic or basement with fluctuating temperature and humidity or a room with central heating etc).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Markey  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2022 19:31:42(UTC)
Markey

Ireland   
Okay thanks for your feedback but I quess Marklin Locos are designed to be used and not left on a shelf in their boxes for 10 or 15yrs.🤣
I've another Steam Loco that was never run 39050 it was an Insider model but I'm goin to use that to on a layout I'm planning on building.
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2022 19:44:52(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
re rust. I suggest you run a dehumidifier in your train room. We live in a subtropical region and it can get humid. I was away for the last two weeks and there was a cyclone in NZ while I was away from home. I cold tell the room was damp when I got back on Sunday, so over two days I got 8 litres of water out of the room via my dehumidifier.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator