Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DTaylor91  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2022 01:32:59(UTC)
DTaylor91

The video quality is outstanding, and it looks like I'll have to buy some Swiss passenger cars now...

My question though, is what's going on at about 4:30 in the video? It sounds like something had a catastrophic failure. I could be wrong, I understand almost no German

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2022 14:50:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: DTaylor91 Go to Quoted Post
The video quality is outstanding, and it looks like I'll have to buy some Swiss passenger cars now...

My question though, is what's going on at about 4:30 in the video? It sounds like something had a catastrophic failure. I could be wrong, I understand almost no German

Can't help with the German, but the noise it was making certainly didn't sound healthy.

The video seems to be a bunch of advertising clips for DVDs. I thought the last segment with three crocodiles to haul 10 coaches was rather 'playing to the crowd' somewhat. BigGrin BigGrin

Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2022 16:19:51(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello all,

Great video.
I assembled 3 crocodiles on my layout, and ran them around my Matterhorn Mountain.

Marklin Crocodiles on layout

Regards
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline orionstars  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2022 00:10:56(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Interestingly it seemed speed dependent (the creaking/popping sound) but as the end of the last crocodile was just about to enter the shed it all stopped.

You can hear it just a bit as the last set of drivers enters and then it’s stops.

Maybe the gauge or curve of the track section? As it also seemed to start only as it entered the switch laden section in front of the shed?
Pete
Offline Copenhagen  
#5 Posted : 01 February 2022 16:07:48(UTC)
Copenhagen

About the noise this is said in the commentary:
Der enge Kurvenradius führt zu einseitigem durchrutschen der Radsätze. Beim Automobil findet sich ein Differential zum Ausgleich der inneren und äußeren Raddrehzahl, da diese bei Kurvenfahrt ja unterschiedlich ist. Die Radsätze der Bahn sind aber starr miteinander verbunden, heisst inneres und äußeres Rad haben die gleiche Drehzahl. Somit kommt es auf den unterschiedlichen Radien sprich längerer Weg aussen, kürzerer Weg innen, zum durchrutschen der weniger belasteten Radseite... Viel Text, aber glaube so relativ gut beschrieben...

Google translate:
The narrow curve radius leads to the wheelsets slipping on one side. In automobiles there is a differential to balance the inner and outer wheel speed, since this is different when cornering. However, the wheelsets of the train are rigidly connected to each other, which means that the inner and outer wheels rotate at the same speed. This means that the different radii, i.e. a longer distance on the outside, a shorter distance on the inside, mean that the side of the wheel that is less loaded slips through... A lot of text, but I think it's described relatively well...

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen