Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline flyhalf  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2022 17:22:01(UTC)
flyhalf

United States   
The loco and the first car (on each side) are permanently coupled – the instructions show how to push these 2 pairs of cars together (one pair has the wheel base and the other doesn’t so the one that doesn’t slides over the wheel base and klicks together – see the instruction page attached – but the big question is how to separate these 2 pairs so I can re-box them – they show that the correct way to move the train is by pair only not all 4 at same time (see 2nd page – this would be a logical place to show how to uncouple the 2 pairs but there are no instructions! Some of the Märklin instructions pamphlets are a bit weak! Surprising for Germans!
In the instructions they show a klick to put it together, which assumes there would be something that needs to be released when separating – I’m afraid to use force as it might break the coupling mechanisms!

Any ideas on how to uncouple this TGV?

Mark.IMG_0261.jpeg
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2022 17:36:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Does the instruction say anything else regarding excessive uncoupling of the current conducting couplers like it does with my ICE3?
These can become looser with frquent uncoupling. The Jakob trucks with the diaphrams look like they lock differently though, and should uncouple and recouple easier and not wear out. I'd put a dab of
grease or lube where the plastic hooks lock onto the post of the trucks. Keep it away from the electrical contacts. Are those contacts integral at the top, where they clip on, or lower near the wheels? it looks like they are lower.
What I try to do is store my trains with two cars coupled in a plastic bin 0on a shelf fpor easier running. I used to rebox them, but it's a hassle every time.
If my elecrical couplers ever do become loose, I'll apply somehting grippy to the outer part where they meet. Something like a gummy putty that will remain pliable.
Offline flyhalf  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2022 17:59:15(UTC)
flyhalf

United States   
No further instructions about excessive uncoupling.

The electrical contacts are at the bottom near the wheels. The actual connector that klicks is a plastic mechanism hence why I'm concerned about using force to pull it apart and uncouple!

Mark.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2022 18:14:42(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Flyhalf
I don't have the unit but to me there is no doubt.
You may uncouple cars by pulling straight and only on places where there is a coupler (every 2 cars). Apparently bending one car up with the next is a problem.
I strongly advise to keep the uncoupling to a minimum as the latching is made by a plastic rib that will wear out.
I remember there was a Märklin video showing the coupling between 2 cars (Kulissenführung und Konnektor) as produced by their design system (Dassault Systèmes Catia) but I can't find it back
Here is the normal video

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2022 22:10:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I was looking at the manual and seems this model doesn't use screws to attach the body shell to the chassis.
Seems to be attached by press fit.

I also don't understand why models like the TGV, ICE and the Giruno are made of plastic instead of metal.
Ram and VT11.5 are made mostly of metal, so these shouldn't be much different to produce in metal.

Anyway, this TGV, as well as the ICEs, look very good.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 26 January 2022 22:36:51(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: flyhalf Go to Quoted Post
No further instructions about excessive uncoupling.

The electrical contacts are at the bottom near the wheels. The actual connector that klicks is a plastic mechanism hence why I'm concerned about using force to pull it apart and uncouple!

Mark.

the only way is to pull them apart, recommend doing it on a flat and straight piece of track. (i have 37797) I absolutely agree that it is not an ideal solution, so I try to avoid excessive uncoupling.

Personally, I would also have prefered that the model used screws to attach the body shell to the chassis.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2022 22:52:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Most newer ho model trains are made this way. Metal is more expensive to tool for and produce. The VT 11.5 was priced near $1,000 U.S. without supplimental cars when it was made. Today would be close to $1,500 or more.
These types of trains have two decoders, one for each direction of travel (yes?)
My vintage Fleischmann ICE 1 isn't assembled with screws either, but my br 610 railcar is, and my even older French made Jouef TGV is.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2022 23:25:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

I also don't understand why models like the TGV, ICE and the Giruno are made of plastic instead of metal.
Ram and VT11.5 are made mostly of metal, so these shouldn't be much different to produce in metal.

I suspect that the real reason has to do with the weight of 11 metal cars and the size of the motor needed to pull this load.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 26 January 2022 23:43:15(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Most newer ho model trains are made this way. Metal is more expensive to tool for and produce. The VT 11.5 was priced near $1,000 U.S. without supplimental cars when it was made. Today would be close to $1,500 or more.
These types of trains have two decoders, one for each direction of travel (yes?)
My vintage Fleischmann ICE 1 isn't assembled with screws either, but my br 610 railcar is, and my even older French made Jouef TGV is.

Hi
my TGV 37797 has one decoder and two motors. (total 8 axles powered)
the old Märklin ICE 1 etc, has screws to attach the plastic body shell to the chassis in the locomotive unit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline flyhalf  
#10 Posted : 27 January 2022 00:16:54(UTC)
flyhalf

United States   
I was able to get it to work in the end with the help of my Marklin distributor here in the US.

Please see attached video on how to successfully uncouple the TGV Euroduplex 37793!

IT REQUIRES A LOT OF FORCE!!!

Mark. IMG_7509.MOV (10,287kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by flyhalf
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 27 January 2022 09:27:41(UTC)
H0

Two sliders: Yes. Two decoders: No. Speakers in each powered unit: seldom.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 27 January 2022 10:51:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hi Manuel
I have the VT 11.5 Märklin made entirely of cast metal and I understand why Märklin choose not to. When an heavy consist like this VT 11.5 rams into something there is a high potential of destruction
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 27 January 2022 10:52:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My ICE3 has two sets of dip switches. A decoder for each direction of travel. It is a heavy powered unit. The small can motor lags on a steep grade even though the rest of the 4 cars are light. It doesn't lose traction though.
I have adjusted the acceleration delay with no difference.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 27 January 2022 11:29:20(UTC)
H0

My ICE3 has two sets of dip switches. A decoder for each direction of travel.
Ah, that's what it is.
I thought it was one set of DIP switches for the motor decoder (both directions), one set of DIP switches for the FX decoder. But little do I know. Cool

Both sets of DIP switches are on the same PCB in the restaurant car.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 27 January 2022 13:11:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes Tom, you know. I thought the FX decoder also controls the motor. Do the newer mfx trains eliminate the switching direction relay that clicks? I was even surprised my ice has it, as these were passe' since the 60901 decoders in locos.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#16 Posted : 27 January 2022 14:50:56(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Not sure if this will help but there is this from Ajkids on the Marklin one.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 27 January 2022 14:55:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Guy is the best!
Offline flyhalf  
#18 Posted : 27 January 2022 19:26:08(UTC)
flyhalf

United States   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if this will help but there is this from Ajkids on the Marklin one.

Guy, at Ajckids, is my Marklin provider and who I worked with to resolve this issue!!

Mark.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by flyhalf