Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jonsmac  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2011 09:35:51(UTC)
jonsmac

Greetings from Yerevan, Armenia! Does anyone out there have any first-hand experience with the Roco 68301-68303 models. I read the comment train in Mike's Hobbys discussion of the Fleischmann S3/6 Pacific and Roco 231e Nord locos. Other than some observations questioning the quality of both locos, there was very little stated about the joys of running these locos on a layout.

I have the Fleischmann BR18.5 loco with tender driven wheels along with a little Piko BR94 tank loco. Both have been good machines since I purchased them. Now I am awaiting the arrival of my 68303 loco. Any observations regarding this loco?

These are the only non-Marklin locomotives on my layout. The remaining seven are Marklin.
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2011 10:31:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Jon smac,

Welcome to the forum.

I personally have had no experience with this particular loco.

I must say, so far Roco locos as a whole, I haven't had any major problem with any of them, smooth running, detailed, quite.
With this loco there could be some restrictions how sharp your curves are.

Enjoy your new arrival

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2011 10:33:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Jonsmac,
Welcome to the forum and fountain of knowledge.

Nev in OZ
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline jonsmac  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2011 11:42:07(UTC)
jonsmac

Gentlemen, thanks for the prompt responses. I had a Roco T14 tank loco that kind of fell apart. Needless to say, I am apprehensive about spending big bucks for the 231e. I'll give her a good run pulling my CIWL Orient Express wagon set around my layout.

G'day to you both.

Jon
Offline husson73  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2011 12:09:10(UTC)
husson73

owned since Xmas the roco 231 pacific Nord on brown and AC digital. great running lok which seems powerful (just a few rides until now so don't try a test with plenty of wagons).
Has already some Roco 3R AC Digital or not digital and all worked greatCool
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2011 20:41:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Jonsmac,

Welcome to the forum.Smile

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jonsmac  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2011 07:33:11(UTC)
jonsmac

Well, all, I received my Roco 68303 loco. I have to say that the details are awe-inspiring. My only problem is that powered tender. In two months I have had the traction tires destroyed on all four wheels. Considering my locos with powered drive wheels have a tire go out every ten years or so on the same track layout, this situation is unsat. I sent an e-mail to Roco telling them of this problem. We'll see what their response is.

BTW, my Fleischmann DRG BR18.5 loco has the same power arrangement and it jumps the track. Perhaps the powered-tender wheels inventor should get the sack.

Cheers all.
Offline europromo  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2022 01:45:54(UTC)
europromo

United States   
I've been tooling around with Jouef 231 Locos pulling Orient Express cars (since Marklin doesn't make any), and agree: Tender drive sucks !!! If you add more than 4-5 cars, the wheels are spinning and the train is having a hard time to get going:

I just received a Rivarossi "Fleche D'Or" set with a 231 loco "NORD" and 5 very nicely detailed cars, and the same thing happens if you add more cars, although all 3 axles are driven and have traction tires on one side:

So I finally sprung for the Marklin 39243: EST Class 13 (241-A) Express Train Steam Locomotive, and it's like night & day:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by europromo
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2022 05:06:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Roc bought out steam locos with a connecting rod from the tender motor to the main wheels on the loco itself, the prupose apparently was so the wheels are tunring at the same speed as the tender driven wheels, I've suggested to Roco many years why not add a rubber tyre to one of the loco axles, I was told this is impossible because of the lack of extra metal to fit rubber tyres, I think it was just an excuse and nobody ever tried to make it work, I also told Roco they could increase their sales on stem locos with tender by the thousand but all went on deaf ears.
I've bought 2 Roco steam locos: 1 x SBB C5/6 Elephant (hopeless) and the other a DR 18 201 which I added another motorized tender and it works fine now with 11 or 12 cars behind it.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109