Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MtrackJai  
#1 Posted : 15 January 2021 16:36:41(UTC)
MtrackJai

Canada   
Greeting all,

I am trying to find where to get Era II models. I am usually pretty good at the Google but damn these are hard to find.

We have one hobby shop in town and he doesn't stock anything for trains. He says he will special order items and lists his wholesalers but they don't have anything.

So where do you guys buy your era II houses and building from?

Thanks
Jai
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MtrackJai
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 15 January 2021 17:28:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Faller will provide almost all you will want. Get a catalogue would be a good idea.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline IanC  
#3 Posted : 15 January 2021 20:51:36(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Faller, Vollmer/Kibri, then Busch, Noch.

Suggest you Google images of what you're looking for and work backwards from there with searching for the product numbers.

Faller has a good searchable web site itself.

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2021 21:36:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Faller catalogs and brochures can be downloaded from the Faller website in pdf format.

Download the current ones, browse them to see if there's anything you want. You can then either search for those item numbers on ebay or Google search for them to see if any nearby dealers have them.

https://www.faller.de/gb...talogues-and-flyers.html

The Vollmer and Kibri catalogs aren't available as pdf files but you might be able to buy one or find someone with one. Either that or browse their website.

https://viessmann-modell...ment/zubehoer/literatur/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2021 22:13:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Faller catalogs and brochures can be downloaded from the Faller website in pdf format.

Download the current ones, browse them to see if there's anything you want. You can then either search for those item numbers on ebay or Google search for them to see if any nearby dealers have them.

The Vollmer and Kibri catalogs aren't available as pdf files but you might be able to buy one or find someone with one. Either that or browse their website.

Noch ones are also available in PDF form.

https://www.noch.com/en/model-ra...g-guides/catalogues.html

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2021 02:01:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Alan.

The Kibri / Vollmer New Items catalogs are available for download, but not the full catalogs.

https://viessmann-modell.com/en/downloads
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline MtrackJai  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2021 16:07:55(UTC)
MtrackJai

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Noch ones are also available in PDF form.

https://www.noch.com/en/model-ra...g-guides/catalogues.html

Thank you for this. Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you have to buy a catalogue so that you can see what other items you can buy from them?
Offline Willem99  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2021 16:21:10(UTC)
Willem99

United States   
Hi there,
I just regularly go to E-Bay through my Faller, Vollmer and Kibri searches to see what they have for sale there.
Sometimes it gives me a very good idea as to what is available.
If I cannot buy it E-bay then I will not be able to get it anyway, hobby stores in this area are only carrying the american stuff.
Thanks
Tim
Offline xpsensation  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2021 16:40:56(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
Hi Jai, i am in Halifax , Nova Scotia. we only virtually no shops here so i have purchased a lot of my kits (Faller, vollmer, Kibri) from Euro Rail Hobbies in BC. His prices seem competitive and he is in Canada. I also find his web site a good resource where looking at prices on Ebay, as I have noticed a good number of ebay items start at a higher price than his shop. Hope this helps.

Phil
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xpsensation
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2021 17:47:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: MtrackJai Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for this. Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you have to buy a catalogue so that you can see what other items you can buy from them?

If you don't have a catalogue where will you see the full range that Faller sell. Available online or by post from a dealer.

Edited by moderator 16 January 2021 23:31:27(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quote

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2021 21:08:47(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: Willem99 Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,
I just regularly go to E-Bay through my Faller, Vollmer and Kibri searches to see what they have for sale there.
Sometimes it gives me a very good idea as to what is available.
If I cannot buy it E-bay then I will not be able to get it anyway, hobby stores in this area are only carrying the american stuff.
Thanks
Tim

Hallo Everyone,
Well...Screw the Internet, I hate it and eBay as well. I prefer old school / old fashioned store where you could walk in and see model you desire. My dealer used to have one box open so potential clients could see plastic molds, touch it, feel it and then place an order.Or see locomotive in action. But recently due to my illness I was not able to visit store for more than 2 years. Sooo, as you recommended I went Internet or eBay-way, well that was not the same for me for sure.
People sell old stuff quiet often damaged and they do not pay attention when they packing Marklin engines or simply don't care. Quiet often my expensive models were wrapped in crumbled newspapers and trowed in big box.( Fedex USPS package handlers that's something else for another post )
Shipping charges whoa... that's another story. Simply speaking they are outrageous.
Besides domestic shipping time in US due to Corona doubled and international in some cases quadrupled. Merchandise arrives " banged up " , partially destroyed and high shipping costs prevents me in many cases from returning damaged merchandise back to dealer or eBay seller.

UserPostedImage

For instance recently I purchased ( actually my other half for X-Mass ) Fleischmann S 10 steam locomotive. I was so happy cause I have been chasing this particular model for so long and after 49 days it arrived partially damaged. Speaker was dangling on one wire and other one was broken off, front bulb was loosen out completely out of socket.
Well , don't know if in digital era digital shopping is the answer - definitely not for me.
Sorry guys for venting my frustration here but you have to keep in mind those factors before you you hit that purchase / enter button.

UserPostedImage

Cheers and good luck with eBay,
Marklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline David Dewar  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2021 22:36:21(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Several German dealers pack well and hold good stocks. I would not buy plastic kits on EBay. UK has an excellent dealer holding good stocks. Slots and Trains do Faller and service is fast.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2021 23:35:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you have to buy a catalogue so that you can see what other items you can buy from them?

No you're not! However many of the catalogs are a record of what has been introduced for the year and will incorporate the items that are in that year's new item brochures. Marklin certainly does it this way - their catalogs are called 'Yearbooks'.

The New Items catalogs are free, so it is expected that those are used for actually doing your ordering from.
Offline PJMärklin  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2021 07:18:08(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you have to buy a catalogue so that you can see what other items you can buy from them?

No you're not! However many of the catalogs are a record of what has been introduced for the year and will incorporate the items that are in that year's new item brochures. Marklin certainly does it this way - their catalogs are called 'Yearbooks'.

The New Items catalogs are free, so it is expected that those are used for actually doing your ordering from.

Marklin certainly does it this way - their catalogs are called 'Yearbooks'.

Yes David, I agree with the concept you are conveying Smile but perhaps we should note that they are
also called other things, including "catalogs".

From the Märklin site :

"
UserPostedImage"

and

UserPostedImage

Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you have to buy a catalogue so that
you can see what other items you can buy from them?

I am sure you are not alone in that, but I think it also depends on why you want a Märklin cattledog.

Oh sorry, pardon the Rhyming Strine , I meant “catalogue” Wink
Nor can a sheepdog like "Wilson" (who is now unfortunately working from home because of Covid)
find your Märklin items for you Laugh LOL :

UserPostedImage

If you want a printed catalogue simply to know what is currently available then that is available free on the internet.

If you want it because you have the collector bug for them, then good for you, for each his own.

If you want a catalogue as a collectable investment, then you’re dreaming.LOL

If you want a catalogue (like me) as a reference, then they can be very useful : the (otherwise excellent)
Märklin Product Database (https://www.maerklin.de/en/service/product-database/) only has information
since the year 2000. If you use any Koll’s published 1999 or later, together with the matching year
Märklin catalogue, then you fairly well have most of the data pre 2000.

Whilst I expect there are some on our planet that have the Märklin catalogues since the first one in 1895,
I only have each Märklin catalogue since 1951 (I entered this world somewhat belatedly one year laterBlushing ) :

UserPostedImage

So together with my Koll’s (not my Bradshaw’s !Laugh ) I can get all the information I want about
most Märklin items since 1951.
But not always such items as outsider club or export models.
Nor will special edition products for various clubs, dealers or regions necessarily be found in the
standard catalogues, such as these :

UserPostedImage

or items like these :

UserPostedImage

Also, as is well known, there are libraries available online which hold copies of many old Märklin catalogues :

http://www.lctm.info/Sec...teca/Catalogos/index.php
http://www.marklincafe.com/ .

Just my own view. As I said, to each their own,

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Edited by user 17 January 2021 11:55:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline artfull dodger  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2021 17:49:20(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
You can also browse Euro Rail Hobbies excellent website, he has an excellent listing all all the major brands of building kits with pictures and if each kit is currently in stock/available from the manufacture. That dealer is my go to place to research whats out there currently. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline MtrackJai  
#16 Posted : 19 January 2021 14:40:25(UTC)
MtrackJai

Canada   
Originally Posted by: xpsensation Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jai, i am in Halifax , Nova Scotia. we only virtually no shops here so i have purchased a lot of my kits (Faller, vollmer, Kibri) from Euro Rail Hobbies in BC. His prices seem competitive and he is in Canada. I also find his web site a good resource where looking at prices on Ebay, as I have noticed a good number of ebay items start at a higher price than his shop. Hope this helps.

Phil

Hey Phil, thank you for this. This is as close to supporting local as I can get.

I will check them out.

Jai

Offline Mr. Ron  
#17 Posted : 15 January 2022 21:41:06(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I bought around $1200 worth of used Marklin trains, track, switches and accessories off of E-Bay and can honestly say nothing was ever received damaged. Some items were damaged but due to wear, not shipping. Am I just the lucky one?
Offline Willem99  
#18 Posted : 15 January 2022 22:17:59(UTC)
Willem99

United States   
I have been buying almost all of my Marklin/Kibri/Faller/Vollmer stuff on e-bay since 1999, mostly because there are no dealers or model train shops in this area.
I have had some issues on probably 5 items (out of more than 500 transactions), and I was either able to return them to the sellers for a full refund, or we struck a deal for a partial refund where I kept the item.
I have had 2 duds where I was not able to do anything, so I wrote that off as a learning experience.
It is all about knowing the e-bay code: "Not tested" means it does not work, "Unsure whether everything is there" in a building model means that less than half the stuff is in the box
However, all in all I am very satisfied with my e-bay experiences.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 16 January 2022 23:12:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Greeting all,

I am trying to find where to get Era II models. I am usually pretty good at the Google but damn these are hard to find.

We have one hobby shop in town and he doesn't stock anything for trains. He says he will special order items and lists his wholesalers but they don't have anything.

So where do you guys buy your era II houses and building from?

Thanks
Jai

Hello Jai,

Good question.
Here in Australia there are hobby shops who stock some of the building/housing kit brands mentioned by others, but never the ones you want.

I ordered a locomotive from a dealer in Europe, Huenerbein in Aachen, and I noticed he had most of the Faller, Kibri, Vollmer, Noch and Auhagen kits so I purchased a few in the same order.
This is an easily searched site. Huenerbein
He charges full EURO price then refunds the VAT as a separate process.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rbw993  
#20 Posted : 17 January 2022 14:40:49(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I have purchased multiple items from Huenerbein, including building kits. On their website they list whether the item is in stock which is nice. I have always gotten good service from them.

Roger