Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2021 10:06:51(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
In my assorted parts I have a number of wheelsets. Most of them are for older models from the 50's - 80's.

Recently I purchased three identical wagons and found one of them had an incorrect wheelset, the wheels at one end were smaller than the other(s).

I actually found what I needed in my spares, but it got me to thinking about actually identifying and sorting them.

Even for just the 60's and 70's, there's quite a range of different size wheels. The spare parts views show complete bogies and 'some' sheets show individual wheels however they only list the part numbers, not the specific dimensions.

There's quite a range of sometimes conflicting information on the web for wheels but before I go down the rabbit-hole of trying to document them, someone is bound to have done it already, possibly even it's been discussed here previously but I have not been able to find specifically what I'm after, or what I was thinking of creating.

I really don't want to reinvent the wheel (no pun intended) if someone has already done this and there a reference that has eluded me.

Note, I don't want a "tell us the model and we'll give you the part number" - I can do that already.

Basically what I specifically want is a simple chart, or 'look-up' reference sorted by the two main dimensions.

1: Axle Length (and type)
2: Wheel Diameter
(there are obviously some further differences such as for Spoked wheels, and colour (or finish) in some cases but this is easy to note)

3: The part number for each version. If it also then listed the actual items those wheels are found in, all the better, but a simple Dimensions x & y = PN xxxxxx would suffice for now.

Or the reverse, ie a listing of wheelsets by number, and giving the two relevant dimensions.

Note, I'm only talking about AC wheelsets for now, however I'd be quite happy to add DC PN where they exist.

These are some questions

AXLES - to me, three types.

STUB - the original style up to around the mid 1950's - die-cast or metal bearing plates
STEPPED - normal axle but with the END tip reduced about 50% - for metal bearing plates (also could be called 'shouldered')
POINTED - for plastic chassis/bogies

** Some sites refer to Needle and Stepped as one and the same. Is this correct? (I've always thought so) And is the 'pointed' version simply called that?

DIAMETER

What is the preferred measurement area - ie is it the diameter of the larger flanged portion, or the smaller 'running surface', and if it's the running surface, is it measured against the flange where it's slightly larger vs. the outer edge of the wheel as it tapers or 'cones' ?

Thanks in advance.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2021 14:18:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Note, I'm only talking about AC wheelsets for now, however I'd be quite happy to add DC PN where they exist.

It would be worth listing the cross references, especially in these days of models appearing in only Trix or Trix Express ranges, and wanting to find AC wheels for them.

I have some Trix Express items that I'll work through the cross references and dimensions.

Regards

Alan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jerdenberg  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2021 14:28:42(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
There is a thread on Stummi with more or less the info you are seeking, i believe:
https://www.stummiforum....groessen.html#msg1092583

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2021 01:10:55(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello,

This document of mine may be of use to others.
It concentrates mainly on post-2000 Märklin articles.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...86_wheelmeasurements.pdf

I purchased my first US model of a Pennsy caboose, Märklin #45705.
When I receive it I can test my data as to the wheelset type used, and how to replace with RP25 types wheels for a 2 rail layout where needed.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2021 21:55:33(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi, above wheel issues also haunt me. Eg I am looking for Marklin steam loko, spoked drive wheels around 16 mm dia.
Also looking for these listed.

Above links to Modellbahn and Stummiforum will not open.??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

HANNES
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2021 22:55:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post
Hi, above wheel issues also haunt me. Eg I am looking for Marklin steam loko, spoked drive wheels around 16 mm dia.

What loco? If you can provide the catalogue number then someone will find the relevant part number.

Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post

Above links to Modellbahn and Stummiforum will not open.??

Stummis needs you to register and log in to see that page.