Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2021 06:40:24(UTC)
Ranjit

Hello Everybody !

As my age is advancing rapidly and there is so much to do with my "not yet started" layout, I am thinking that in order to speed things up, I would engage a professional model railroad builder to assist me in building the layout from scratch. I know that this option is going to be more expensive, but the real advantage is that I would have a full-fledged working layout soon, and I would have many more years to play with it. As we all know it gets more and more difficult to finish a layout as you get older. What do you all say ?

The plans are all in my head at this moment. I just need to get moving.

Cheerio !

Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2021 13:32:32(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ranjit. I would say the fun is. Designing and making your own layout, Once your first bit of track is down you can run trains while continuing to build the layout, My layout started in 1985 and in am now adding a further extension. Building is part of the hobby for me.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2021 13:36:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everybody !

As my age is advancing rapidly and there is so much to do with my "not yet started" layout, I am thinking that in order to speed things up, I would engage a professional model railroad builder to assist me in building the layout from scratch. I know that this option is going to be more expensive, but the real advantage is that I would have a full-fledged working layout soon, and I would have many more years to play with it. As we all know it gets more and more difficult to finish a layout as you get older. What do you all say ?

The plans are all in my head at this moment. I just need to get moving.

Cheerio !

Ranjit

I suspect you will find it more expensive to do this than you expect.

However it may be worth talking with Brima who will do anything from a basic design through to a full finished layout. You stop at the stage you can afford.

There is at least one member of this forum who has had a layout built by them, and I am aware of at least two others going through the planning stages.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2021 15:53:57(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
as David suggests, the most fun of this hobby is the journey of discovery in designing and building it.

I also suspect that finding someone in India to do this may be tricky.... not because there is a shortage of people, but because German train modelling interest seems low.

Edited by user 17 October 2021 21:08:48(UTC)  | Reason: typo

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Ian M  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2021 19:43:29(UTC)
Ian M

United Kingdom   
The cost of having it professionally built can seem eye-watering - but building a layout is not a five-minute job.

Your location does make things difficult. The layout will either have to be shipped to you or the builder(s) will need to come to you and be put up for the duration - along with all their tools and supplies.

You need to think about what you actually want. Just the baseboards? Track laid and wired? First level of scenery (roads, fields, etc.)? Completely finished? And to what standard? What are you capable of doing and what do you want to do?

When I was building layouts for people the commonest request was for baseboards, track and electrics so that it was 'ready to play' and the client could enjoy building the scenery.

Something like that would be easier to prepare elsewhere, crate up carefully and ship to India. The builder could then, if required, travel over for a few days to errect and commision it. (No, I'm not volunteering.)

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ian M
Offline Ian555  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2021 11:40:38(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Ian M Go to Quoted Post
The cost of having it professionally built can seem eye-watering - but building a layout is not a five-minute job.

Or a five year job...Smile

Ian.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Ranjit  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2021 12:56:10(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey guys...

Thank you all for your inputs !

As I am wanting to replicate a layout that was built years ago with very slight modifications, I know the details of the layout plan. The help that I would need here is to draw up properly to scale, and to identify all the stuff that I need (tracks, buildings, wiring items, etc.) to put it together. I will not be using a "trial and error" method. All of the benchwork will be done locally with the help of my carpenter. In order to work on the wiring and controls, the technology and scenery (tunnels, bridges, waterways. etc.) construction, realistic backgrounds, etc.), I intend to hire a professional. Of course, during this process, I would like to get my "hands dirty" by building some "cool stuff". This is going to be my "traumwerk" !

I want to Start this project, Finish it and Enjoy the dream with all of you for the rest of my life. It would be lovely and wonderful if some of you could visit me and share the happiness with me when this layout is completed. I don't want to keep fiddling around anymore.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline Copenhagen  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:21:18(UTC)
Copenhagen

If there is a model railway club nearby some of the members might be willing to help.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Ranjit  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:41:26(UTC)
Ranjit

Yes, for sure ! I will be tapping into the expertise of my dear friends at Märklin India. This is a group of around fifty (50) experienced Märklin users in India. Some of them are in this forum.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 18 October 2021 15:52:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ranjit
Yes, to build the layout with them may be fun but IMO having it made for you is no fun because it will remain like it is instead of evolving.
The price may be much higher but maybe you don't care
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Ranjit  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2021 16:24:31(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Jean...

No, no, no... I DO CARE ! I am certainly not going to hand over the entire business of planning, designing and constructing the layout to someone and wait for it to be completed. I do have financial constraints and I do have to be careful. Like I said earlier, I will be a part of the team, and I will be getting my "hands dirty". I have been in model railroading for over sixty (60) years and I know very well the fun one gets to build stuff from scratch and by hand. I just want to speed up the process and have more time to play with my creation. Also, it would be very nice if I can get my grown-up children to experience the real beauty of scale modelling in a fully functional layout that is completed, and not something that is still in the making.

I am hoping that in three (3) years time, I will have something "magical" to show and share with all of you.

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Jay
Offline Jay  
#12 Posted : 18 October 2021 16:48:30(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
HI Ranjit,I suspect you've got it all figured out. All you need is HANDS to speed things up.
I do not see a problem there at all as long as the help don't put you off track.(pun intended}
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and look forward to progress reports as presented
by others on this great forum.
Warm regards
J
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 18 October 2021 16:57:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've been thinking for the last 40 years how can I finish my layout quicker and everytime I get closer to it there are other things to do, I also wish I would be more advanced in digital technology, there are so many options running trains digital and I haven't explored or knew these options existed.

You may hav 50 Märklin enthusiasts but are the 50 willing to do work on your layout without some bonuses in return

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline DaleSchultz  
#14 Posted : 18 October 2021 16:59:55(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
sounds like a club layout.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Ranjit  
#15 Posted : 18 October 2021 17:23:24(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Jay...

No, no, no... I do not have everything figured out ! The big problem that I have now is finances for my many travels to Europe to purchase the stuff that I need and for hiring a model railroad professional to help me with the layout. I am working on it now, especially as the Indian financial market are doing very well. Believe me, it is not a "pipe dream" !

Thank you for your best wishes and I will surely let all of you know what I am up to as I move forward.

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Jay
Offline Ranjit  
#16 Posted : 18 October 2021 17:56:15(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey John...

My layout will not be as extensive as yours and it will not be "evolving" to a great extent. Of course, there will be some additions here and there as time moves on.

Like you, I too feel that I am disadvantaged when it comes to model railroad digital technology. And, this is one big reason why I need a professional who can quickly understand what needs to get done. Although, my layout plan comes from the 60s when everything was analogue, I intend to "digitize" the layout alongside a smaller section in analogue to remind me of the "good old days".

Good point about the "50 Märklin enthusiasts", John ! Although, the membership of Märklin India is around 50, there are only a handful of them who are really active model railroaders. I will be mostly working with the few who will enjoy working on building a layout with me, and I hope that they will not be expecting any "bonuses" from me.

Good night !

Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 18 October 2021 20:38:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Ranjit. When it comes to digital and the CS3 I am miles behind others on here but I quite enjoy trying to figure it out and if I have a success it gives great satisfaction. The only help with my layout was a joiner building the layout boards and everything else is just me and no matter how good it is or not I am happy to call it all mine. Why not give it a go yourself and if stuck come on here and somebody will help that way you will save cash and probably be amazed at what you can achieve yourself.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Ranjit  
#18 Posted : 19 October 2021 09:14:53(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi David...

When I dismantled my analogue layout some years ago in Malaysia, my plan was to set-up a new one in India and build it from the ground up all by myself. At that time, I did not realize how difficult it is to source items in India and how frustrating it is to deal with the authorities to import even a small accessory. This lead me to start thinking seriously about hiring a professional specialized in building model railroading layouts from the European region and working with them alongside local artisans to build my "dream" layout. The whole idea of bringing experienced modellers to Chennai for short periods of time is also to organize high-end scratch modelling "paid workshops" for model railroad enthusiasts around the country in order to recoup expenses, and furthermore, to help in bringing along some stuff / modelling materials along with them to save on exorbitant customs duties and taxes. I am currently in the process of shortlisting some names and I hope to get started with the engagement by June 2022. In the meantime, I am getting my finances ready for this project. Budgeting is so important in an endeavour like this.

The layout is medium-sized requiring a space of 415 sq. ft. (~40 sq. m.). This layout will be styled exclusively on the German railroad during Eras III & IV to recreate a sense of nostalgia and feature some of the things that I remember during my stay in Germany as a youngster and as a young adult. I wish to incorporate passenger terminals, freight storage yards, steam locomotive servicing facility, electric locomotive storage areas, a brewery and lots of small villages with many tunnels and bridges. I will be using Märklin K-track flex rails in order to make life much more simpler in terms of appearance, realism and for building curves freely. There will be a good mix of freight and passenger traffic in the layout. Interestingly, I would also like to have a layout within a layout utilizing my collection of M-track (possibly a mine train), and a lovely cable car system from the Austrian Alps. I would like this layout to become well known in India and one that will bring lots of joy and happiness, not only to me and my family, but to everyone else who come to visit. I am so excited already to embark on this wonderful journey.

There is a lot of work ahead of me to build this layout, and I hope to wrap it up latest by the end of 2024. I will be 70 years of age by then ! Surely, I will be keeping all of you abreast of all the developments.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline Alsterstreek  
#19 Posted : 19 October 2021 11:23:40(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
At that time, I did not realize how difficult it is to source items in India and how frustrating it is to deal with the authorities to import even a small accessory.

If the above (import of goods) is already an issue, the below (“import” of paid services) will be a real challenge.

This lead me to start thinking seriously about hiring a professional specialized in building model railroading layouts from the European region and working with them alongside local artisans to build my "dream" layout. The whole idea of bringing experienced modellers to Chennai for short periods of time is also to organize high-end scratch modelling "paid workshops" for model railroad enthusiasts around the country in order to recoup expenses, and furthermore, to help in bringing along some stuff / modelling materials along with them to save on exorbitant customs duties and taxes.
Offline Ranjit  
#20 Posted : 19 October 2021 13:11:36(UTC)
Ranjit

On the contrary, AK ! In my professional life as a businessman, I have "imported" services many a time and I have not had any issues at all. It is important to build credibility and reputation on both sides and to come out of the arrangement with a "win-win". The close knit relationship that ensues and the regular and the strong personal connections will remain true for a very long time no matter the challenge. No doubt, all this will require a good budget and the readiness and ability to use it effectively.

Take care and stay safe.

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Alsterstreek  
#21 Posted : 19 October 2021 13:37:52(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Do you mean by “both sides” and “close-know relationship” Indian Administration/you or the European service provider/you or Indian Administration/European service provider or a mix of all?

My business experience about exporting to India is fading, but I can only wish you good luck and success.
Offline Ranjit  
#22 Posted : 19 October 2021 13:53:12(UTC)
Ranjit

I am bypassing the Indian Administration. It is between the service providers who have a specialized knowledge about niche areas of interest (in this case model railroading) and me. In this scenario, there is great amount of "knowledge exchange" that takes place. I have experienced it first hand.

By the way, what are you exporting to India, AK ?

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Alsterstreek  
#23 Posted : 19 October 2021 14:30:18(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
By the way, what are you exporting to India, AK ?
Past tense: Was exporting (in the previous millennium), until I quit the company.
BigGrin

Test equipment marketed via an exclusive representative in your national capital city.

Offline Ranjit  
#24 Posted : 19 October 2021 15:14:55(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Ak...

Not only has your export business "faded" in the previous millennium, but the whole country has begun to fade rapidly in the 21st. century under the leadership of Sri Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India. I don't know if you have read the horrific news about "Lakhimpur Kheri" recently or if it was even mentioned in the international press. Google it and you find more. The PM had not said a word about this incident. That should tell you volumes of where the country is headed and the oppression under which we are all "still" living. Jai Hind !! (in contemporary colloquial usage, it means: Long Live India !)

Cheerio !
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline marklinist5999  
#25 Posted : 19 October 2021 19:07:58(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's sad! Some American's are saying the same about us. Some say like the end of times. Perhaps it's the Covid crisis. I wish it away! It seems it's more difficult for many.
I see small shops closed up or reducing opened hours, yet some say they can't hire anyone. A restaurant has always been a hard business, even in the best economic climate.
You wouldm't think the margin from a small botique, lawn cutting service, or window washing woild be very lucrative. Nevere before have I seen Bentley autmobile in the driveway of a middle class neighborhood, but I do now. I think a few businesses which didn't survive 2020 may have carried too much debt. A sizeable Manse', mortgaged to the hilt, two Range Rovers, a pool, jet ski's, off road 4 wheelers, 35 ft. cabin cruiser's, etc.
It's all affecting the GNP. When a business files full out bankruptcy, it also costs tax payers in court operating, and banks. They increase fee's to recoup some losses court ruled as debt forgivness.
The infrastructures such as bridges, roads, sewers, subways. the power grid, etc. are also suffering.
When less income tax is paid, there is less funding for these.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Jay