Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H5463  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2021 15:06:40(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Just found some interesting Roco passenger cars, and hoping to fix them in my Marklin system. The instructions imply, however, to change wheels for the AC system. I wonder the necessity for the change. Regardless of installing lights in the cars, all I want is to put the cars on the C track. Still needed to change for "AC wheels"? Isn't it H0's having the universal width of car wheel or track? Or it's about AC/DC matters?

Thanks!
Offline bgemski  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2021 15:31:04(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Im not a 100% positive but I think the wheel spacing (width) is different. 13.8 vs 14 mm is coming to mind but again I am not certain.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline H5463  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2021 17:03:04(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Roco 74505 Double deck driving trailer SBB With the current SBB design Model equipped with decoderRailway company: Epoch: VI Gauge: H0 Elect.system: DC

General Data
Interior lighting Article number: 40420
AC Wheel set Article number: 40196
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2021 17:09:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If using C Track, you will likely have no problem using the original DC wheelsets. The only thing is that the DC wheels are insulated on one side, meaning that they will not provide ground contact to both rails for lighting or contact purposes. My solution to this has been to reinstall one axle in the opposite sense, so that one axle per bogie conducts to each rail. When installing an axle contact, this will result in contact with both rails. WARNING, coaches and cars modified in this manner can no longer be used on 2 Rail DC layouts without restoring the original setup.

If using AC wheelsets, they are designed differently, in terms of spacing, in terms of isolation and in terms of shape of the flanges and coning, to help both operation on Marklin track (originally M Track) and ground return.

For a pilot coach, I would recommend installing the AC wheelsets, because the coach will be used at the head of a consist being pushed and remaining on the tracks at switches is more important than it would be for a trailing coach. If the pilot coach is equipped with Roco's wheelset mounted direction switch, this will have to be reinstalled on the AC wheelset. I think that the two newest IC2000 models have a digital decoder for direction change (lighting).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H5463  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2021 17:12:44(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Thanks, Mike. Very helpful!
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2021 03:45:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The DC based 2 rail wheel sets use slightly different specifications in spacing and the 3 conductor Maerklin wheelsets have taller flanges than the DC wheels.
Also if you use S88 detection, then having wheels that are electrically connected is important to get those cars to register occupancy.

The larger flanges, at least on C-track turnouts, allow the wagon to roll through the turnouts without dipping down at the break in the track, while smaller wheelsets will temporarily dip and thus not roll smoothly.

This could cause other running issues, but usually doesn't make a difference.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H5463  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2021 04:18:50(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Very inspiring! Thanks!