Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2021 19:52:01(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hello everybody!! Hope all is fine at your end.
I have 2 questions I would like to get an answer to on this loco.
1) on my Ecos the set direction does not correspond to loco's traveling. in other words Ecos forward loco goes backwards. I was thinking of swapping the two wires, blue and green, that from the decoder go to the coil. would this put in synch the Ecos direction selection and the loco?
2) lights are always on, front and back, independently of direction of travel. Has anybody published a wiring diagram regarding these first 'digital' locos? i do not want to retrofit nor 'upgrade' this engine as Märklin made it this way way back in the early days of digital trains and 4 once I would not like to mess with it 🙂

Ideas, suggestions, links to read on the subject?
Thank you
Marco
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2021 00:10:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post

1) on my Ecos the set direction does not correspond to loco's traveling. in other words Ecos forward loco goes backwards. I was thinking of swapping the two wires, blue and green, that from the decoder go to the coil. would this put in synch the Ecos direction selection and the loco?

You can't is the short answer. The original decoders had no memory for the direction of travel after the power was turned off for about 10 minutes, and they also do not know 'forward' or 'reverse' commands. They only know a change direction command. later decoders can be sent 'forward' and 'reverse' commands.

Do a test, set the loco going on power up of the system. Now send the reverse command on the Ecos and verify the loco does run in the other direction.

Now power the system down for an hour or so, and try again. I think you will find the loco will run in the direction it originally started when first powered up, and the loco direction will be the opposite of that indicated on the ecos when first powered up.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2021 00:17:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have one of these.. It's a a terrible runner and draws an enormous amount of current - from memory it is in excess of 1A.. One day, I plan to strip it down and convert it using a more modern decoder..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2021 13:25:18(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
So swapping the decoder cables on the coils doesn't change the default direction of travel?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2021 14:00:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
So swapping the decoder cables on the coils doesn't change the default direction of travel?

it will, but after a power down at some point your EcOS will again disagree with the loco direction of travel, unless you always set the EcOS to 'forward' for that loco before power down of the layout.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2021 14:49:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello everybody!! Hope all is fine at your end.
I have 2 questions I would like to get an answer to on this loco.
2) lights are always on, front and back, independently of direction of travel. Has anybody published a wiring diagram regarding these first 'digital' locos? i do not want to retrofit nor 'upgrade' this engine as Märklin made it this way way back in the early days of digital trains and 4 once I would not like to mess with it 🙂

Ideas, suggestions, links to read on the subject?
Thank you
Marco

Hi Marco
On very old Märklin decoders (6080 dubbed C80), the protocol was MM1 and it did not include a direction bit. Instead, there was a "preferential" direction (in most cases it would start in this direction.
To make both your Ecos and loco to agree on direction, you need to:
- remove your loco for a short while
- change direction on your ecos
- put back the loco
- don't interrupt the loco for more than 1 minute. For stop sections, it was recommended to insert a 1 kOhm resistor to maintain a reduced feed (keeping the decoder alive)

On this type of loco, both lamps were permanently on because the only function output was used for the Telex coupling
Sans titre.png

Cheers
Jean

Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2021 18:44:14(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Jean, thank you very much!
Alan, thank you very much! I always start the Ecos with the forward direction selected.

If I decide to change the 'entrails' of this loco which is the required motor kit?
I could only put in the AC/DC decoder that Märklin sells?
Marco
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2021 23:46:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   

If I decide to change the 'entrails' of this loco which is the required motor kit?
I could only put in the AC/DC decoder that Märklin sells?
Marco

The 60943 should fit.
the 60906 will also fit, if you don't want to replace the motor.

my conversion. https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t43125-Upgrade-of-my-Marklin-3148-NSB-Di-5--V60
I plan to give it a mLD3 quite soon.

Best of luck
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2021 20:23:29(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Ordered 60943 and 60972 🙂
From Germany, not Marklin Shop though
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ocram63_uk  
#10 Posted : 12 August 2021 23:50:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Tonight I started the Ecos with 3665 loco on the tracks and it moved according to the direction indicator set on the Ecos. Curious to see tomorrow.
My Ecos always starts with direction forward first