Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2021 20:04:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've taken the step to make modeltrains my hobby and my wife has given me the opportunity.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline danmarklinman  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2021 20:37:12(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Check this out. My layout is in the front room 👍🤪
https://www.instagram.co...Nh/?utm_medium=copy_link
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2021 07:46:23(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've taken the step to make modeltrains my hobby and my wife has given me the opportunity.

John

Yes our married life is exactly that - I give and she takes. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2021 15:21:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
An adversary relationship is trouble! If the spouse has a different hobby, fair is fair. Compromise is the key.
Some husbands tell their buddies they are the boss, but in reality, when she says jump, they ask how high!
I worked with a gal who said "happy wife, happy life, but her husband had a vintage Corvette. At first she told me she complained about the cost of parets, but as the restoration progressed, she ot it. When an item is delivered, she just ask's him, "and that would be for where on the car?"
My spouse gets it, and we have two large spaces in our basement. A gym, which we both use, and my trains. The pull up bar ended up in the garage, and I gave up a 4 ft. by 12 inch
length on the end of my layout expansion. Now I have 4 to 6 structures with no room for.
I'll figure it out though. Corners of benchwork are of little use with R2, R3, and R4 curves. I made one a golf course scene with two holes and a sand trap. Another has a workers duplex house, and an out shed.
Three Alpine village theme buildings are Dept. 56 porcelain, and a bit over scale (about 1/72), so they may end up used under the Christmas tree.
As it turned out, I have the space for the extra 18 inch end, and it's only short because I recycled a set of hollow core bi-fold closet doors that were 7 feet. Plywood was scarce and expensive last year. I joined the hinged sections with metal braces, and added thind wooden strips so they stay flat. Nice and light to handle. I made 2x4" cross beams and monted the bench on them. Then I attached 4 inch diameter round steel legs with levelers.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2021 17:47:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Hi John
That's the secret of enjoying long happy married life.
My wife offered me trains since the very beginning some 48 years ago.
Indeed it is about giving and taking and caring for each other. Sorry it sounds corny (but real)
Jean

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2021 20:59:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have a large room all to myself. Layout and a PC with a nice chair to relax with a beer. My wife has no interest in model rail and probably does not even know I have one. However her hobby is the garden and she does anything she wants with it. Works out well as in summer I can sit in the garden and in winter play with the railway. In winter my wife plans and orders the seeds etc ready for next summer and plants the stuff for spring. Appears to work well and we dont know what each of us spend on our hobby. Off now to sit in the garden and watch the sun go down.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Timnomads  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2021 08:57:42(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi

I have my layout in the loft and my wife has her sewing room, the most important thing is to HAVE a hobby, something to do
on retirement. You must keep your mind active. With a model railway, there are always things to do and problems to solve,
its never finished.

Statistically, if people don't have a hobby, they go down hill very quickly on retirement.

This could be used to justify the expense of the next new loco BigGrin

Tim
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Timnomads