Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2021 00:49:25(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
A Marklin HO was used to get all the dimensions of the 191 and massaged a bit for the Z Crocodile. The owner was kind enough to lend me their loco. I took plenty of photos and drew up all the dimensions.

The Marklin Z Crocodile chassis was used, but it was a bit difficult to reconfigure the wheel arrangement due to the couplings obviously needed, so I decided to leave the wheels as is. If all else failed I could revert the loco to the Crocodile. These are expensive locomotives.

The brass body was started as a far longer block with clamping holes at both ends in top and side directions so it could be rotated 90° in the mill. Unfortunately I did not take a photo at this stage. The mill was a large prehistoric clunky old beast with a few mm play. Quite frankly not the sort of machinery one would use when tolerances of a 0.1mm are required. But it does show what you can do with very worn out equipment.

Once it was machined up. I cut it into the three sections, then cut off the two clamping ends. Soldered in window frames etc. Still have to add a few bit and pieces, then prime and top coat.

I built this a few decades ago, technology options has completely changed. These days I would look at 3d printing, even titanium printing to increase mass over plastic. Titanium is not as heavy as brass but a lot better than plastic. In brass the gross weight is currently 88 grams, so pretty useful. Maybe 90 grams once completed.

To date I still haven't got around to finishing off this loco, don't retire as you won't have time for anything! Actually I quite like the brass half finished look, but I think I will finish it off eventually.

Anyway, hopefully food for thought for 3d printing in the 21st century or automated milling. The only difficult part in this whole process is measuring and documentation. Getting dimensions into a 3d file is easy once you have the basic drawings. Once that is done you can produce multiple copies.

IMG_191.jpg

IMG_191-drawing.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2021 10:20:49(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Jonathon,

I am a great fan of the Märklin HO model of the 191 (E91) so I have a number of them in era II and III.

That is a fantastic job you've done in creating a Z scale model.
And boy being a heavy lump of solid metal, that would be good enough to pull a sizeable coal train.
On which I believe they were used from Freiburg to wherever.

Congratulations on a real achievement in such a small scale.
Thanks for showing.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline parakiet  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2021 10:33:28(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
WOW Toos, you really build very nice stuff!