Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2021 15:23:18(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey guys...

Do we really have to stick to 1:87 scale exactly to make everything look good on the layout ? Do we get easily dissatisfied when we see locomotives and passenger cars that are not quite 1:87 running on the layout ? Do we really have to be fussy about scale ? Since 'O' gauge varies from 1:48 to 1:45 to 1:43.5, does HO also have this range ? What are the tolerable limits of HO ? Why does a manufacturer like Märklin themselves make products tat are not quite prototypical ?

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2021 15:44:31(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
compromises for the very much out of scale sharp turns...

and no, you don't have to worry about it, it is your hobby. Some people get rather bent out of shape about it, but they own that.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:09:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post

Do we really have to stick to 1:87 scale exactly to make everything look good on the layout ? Do we get easily dissatisfied when we see locomotives and passenger cars that are not quite 1:87 running on the layout ? Do we really have to be fussy about scale ? Since 'O' gauge varies from 1:48 to 1:45 to 1:43.5, does HO also have this range ? What are the tolerable limits of HO ? Why does a manufacturer like Märklin themselves make products tat are not quite prototypical ?

There is no question we must adapt to various scales. Example: it is fun to have multiple stations but in real life distances may be 20 to 50 km between them. That would make 230m to 580 m in HO. Totally unfeasible.
A TGV is 200 m long and they are often coupled in pairs so that would translate into a 4.60m long train in HO.
Same with radius: a TGV radius is 5 km that would translate into 57 m radius in HO.
So we have to fiddle a lot with "true scale" and the question is: up to what point? Also what the layout is for?

For a detailed life-like replica, you end up with a long a narrow point to point layout. It is perfectly respectable to replicate every detail

For operation layout, you may end up with a macaroni layout on multi levels (my case sorry) and many sensors, PC control, digital,...

So the choice is very depending on the kind of fun you get from your layout
Cheers
Jean
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:20:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I don't even understand why you would ask such a question. Does it matter what anybody else think? On your model railroad, there is only one correct opinion, and that one is yours.

If you find joy in R1 curves, short 24cm D-zug wagens, less-detailed but more solid locos, etc., then that is the right decision for you.
I BET you that many of the niethenzhälers among us, who strive for correct scale of EVERYTHING, and who complain about EVERYTHING (they can, as practically NO model is rendered 100% correct anyway) are far LESS happy with their often huge and expensive collections, than the people who are happy running their (maybe more humble) collection on a smaller layout.

Specifically on your questions; Yes, H0 seems to include to most things from 1:72 to 1:100 (even 1:110 just a few decades ago). The 1:72 part of course refers to the 00 scale that uses some items from the H0, and the same gauge for the rails.
WHY MÄrklin does it; So that all the rollings stock can be used with R1 curves without touching the catenary posts and signals.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline michelvr  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:24:04(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Ranjit,

As long as you measure up that’s all that really matters.

Enjoy this hobby and don’t sweat the small stuff!BigGrin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Ranjit  
#6 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:42:22(UTC)
Ranjit

Yeah ! Thank you, Dale, Jean, Henrik and Michel ! I think you guys seem to agree with my viewpoint which is chuck the slide rulers, vernier callpers, measuring tape, etc., and enjoy the world's most beautiful hobby to the hilt 'As You Like It'.

Happy model railroading, everybody !!

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 01 August 2021 16:54:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
We do what we have space for. I wanted a blast furnace/steel mill. The ho scale model is huge. I got an N scale one. My castle is also N scale. It looks like a smaller castle perched on the mountain. My Faller Fernshetrurm is on a lower plateau nect to it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Online H0  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2021 18:06:49(UTC)
H0

Some Märklin H0 Coaches are 1:110, some are even shorter. Run anything that looks OK for you.
The "new longer length" coaches are still too short by up to 34 mm. There are alternatives in 1:87.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2021 19:46:36(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Do we really have to stick to 1:87 scale exactly to make everything look good on the layout ?

No, in some cases it's better to be out of scale, this can make depth in your layout BigGrin

Trees, buildings and ( pictures of ) mountains in the background can be much smaller, and thus look like they are far away BigGrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 01 August 2021 20:00:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Exactly, forced perspective is good for you.
:o)

Same effect can be achieved with 1/87 building in the foreground and 1/100 buildings in the background.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2021 20:12:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The layout is what you want. I never look at plans which are other folks layouts. I like to my own layout and scale or how it looks is what I like as I smtne one running it and enjoying it.. Only scale I don’t like working with is putting HO passengers in HO Coaches.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Mr. Ron  
#12 Posted : 02 August 2021 00:03:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
If you look at the Pentium layouts on you tube, like Ferdinand Porsche's layout, you will be easily discouraged with your own efforts. Best to keep on blinders and concentrate on what you have to work with. He has railroad stations that can accommodate 15 coach passenger trains. One has to be practical about space.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline analogmike  
#13 Posted : 02 August 2021 02:22:19(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things. BigGrin
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 02 August 2021 09:07:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I had locos from the 60's and they were not 1:87 and because of this some of them I got rid of , e.g. 3050, 3332 and 3350 and replace them with the newer to scale version but all the others are still running today in a new format: digital, with passenger carriages its a different story: got rid of almost every Märklin passenger carriage, except the export French carriages which belonged to the French steam loco 3317 and it was the first time Märklin bought out a loco with corresponding carriages (KKK) at the same time.
the other left over carriages is a dance car., all other carriages are from Roco. (1:87), got rid of: TEE carriages (metal and plastic), Swiss, German (metal & plastic, French, Norwegian;
it all startet of when Märklin produced Austrian locos but no correspondent carriages for it, this is when I started buying Roco carriages (1:87)
the other reason was Roco produced a variety of coaches of all Railway companies and Märklin's production of coaches was very limited.
Today it doesn't bother me whether a loco is or is not 1:87 if its an old BR 44 I never can have to many, few years back I've sold a Swiss crocodile (36195) it was out of scale compared to my other Swiss crocodiles (Roco & Märlin 3652)
Since I've been putting people into coaches I have become a surgeon and forced them into their seats., lately they all have a Chinese flavour and yes 1:87 people are looking sometimes a bit fat so they have occupy 2 seats., 1:100 people are just the right size., variation of dress coulour plenty of and positions are scarce and duplicated.
buying fir trees is another speciality of mine, buy cheap ones, (100 at the time = you hardly notice any difference in areaspace) but putting different sizes amongst each other and a colour variation makes all the difference., darker colour could indicate there are clouds above and than we have houses, so they say are 1:87 but you can't put a 1:87 person in front of a door, he or she just doesn't fir into or having any chance going through the door and the same goes for windows or balconies.,you can have a 12 story hotel and its on the same level as 3 story city building., the windows of the 12 story building are so small not even a baby could look out of the window let alone an adult.
when you go into the nostalgic era, everything was big than, globes in locos, lanterns on turnouts, signals were made out of reinforced steel, tunnels looked like a rabbits borrow but one thing hasn't changed we re still having a big smile everytime we buy something big or small, 1:87, 1: 100 it doesn't matter., we live for another day, weeks and months until the next suppy comes in and in meantime we've sorted out all the cons and pros., failures, derailments, missing parts, faulty decoders, electrical shorts: long or short, and an other parcel arrives at the door in scale 1:1 and nobody seem to argue about that size,
Women seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to scenery modelling they always find the right size in the right spot and men will continue arguing who has the right size 1:87 or 1: 100 till they die

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 02 August 2021 10:07:10(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

Do we really have to stick to 1:87 scale exactly to make everything look good on the layout ?

No, in some cases it's better to be out of scale, this can make depth in your layout BigGrin

Trees, buildings and ( pictures of ) mountains in the background can be much smaller, and thus look like they are far away BigGrin

Per.

I wouldn´t writing and say like this.
Because you must say same way about trains in the background to be smaller to equal about trees and buildings.
But it wont happen?
Because the trains are still in same size on the layout.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Ranjit  
#16 Posted : 02 August 2021 10:15:32(UTC)
Ranjit

It was interesting and good fun reading your story about scale modelling, John ! I agree with you that women do have the "sixth sense" quite naturally !!

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline Ranjit  
#17 Posted : 02 August 2021 10:17:30(UTC)
Ranjit

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Per.

Because you must say same way about trains in the background to be smaller to equal about trees and buildings.
But it wont happen?

Good point, Anders ! Cool

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 02 August 2021 17:34:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is important to remember or to be aware of the difference between scale and scale length. Most Model Train items are manufactured in a Scale (Z, N, HO, etc) but use a scale length. In the case of HO, the scale is 1/87. The scale length may diverge from exact scale due to a number of circumstances, often technical (for use with narrow radius curves) or other reasons. In such a case, the model will be rendered (designed) in 1/87, but certain elements (coach length, window and door width, length of bogies, wheel spacing and undercarriage details) may be rendered in a smaller scale. In some cases, this has been in 1:120, 1:110, 1:100 or 1;93.5. This is referred to as scale length. Other elements, like the width and height of the coach, the height of windows and doors, etc are still rendered in 1/87. This enables the manufacturer to produce a model which may be limited by size restrictions while still allowing for an acceptable semblance of the prototype. Some companies had previously opted to produce a length shortened model with 10 compartments instead of 11. By reducing the scale length of the windows, the original 11 compartments can fit in the reduced length space available.
As models progressed from a scale length of 1:120 to longer versions, the models tended to get more accurate and closer to prototype.

If you are going to take a Maerklin steel plate DB Bm UIC and run it in a consist with a scale length Am (1/100) or a newer 28cm one, the difference will be noticeable.
If you were to take HO (1/76) coaches and mix them with 00 (1/76), you may likely note differences in body width, length and other details that many try to avoid.

For example, when I am running exact scale (all dimensions rendered in 1/87), I do not like having trains that are not exact scale in use at the same time.
If I decide to run my tin plate coaches, I would run them alongside other models with similar scale length. For example, I might run my combined DB/FS UIC coaches (24cm) with a 4068 restaurant coach and on the next track, another train made up of 4066 and coaches from the 40661 reissue set. I will not combine any of those consists when running my LSM exact scale models or trains like the 39806 RAm TEE, Roco ICN or IC2000.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Ranjit  
#19 Posted : 02 August 2021 18:42:13(UTC)
Ranjit

Very educational ! Getting my head around this business of scale and scale lengths. Thank you very much, Mike !

Take care and stay safe.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 02 August 2021 19:21:44(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But it wont happen?

In the online Merriam-Webster dictionary "background" is defined as: "the scenery or ground behind something" BigGrin

I use the same definition Cool

https://www.merriam-webs...om/dictionary/background

I am running my trains ON my layout; not behind my layout............... LOL Laugh Flapper

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Goofy  
#21 Posted : 04 August 2021 09:33:48(UTC)
Goofy

But it wont happen?

In the online Merriam-Webster dictionary "background" is defined as: "the scenery or ground behind something" BigGrin

I use the same definition Cool

https://www.merriam-webs...om/dictionary/background

I am running my trains ON my layout; not behind my layout............... LOL Laugh Flapper

Per.

What the hell are you writing about!?
We discuss about visible in the background to put smaller trees and house buildings which to simulate distance, but in fact has no effect to equal with the train set which do have same size anyway.
TS did stand a question if measure does have effect on the layout and in fact yes it does!

Cool

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 04 August 2021 16:58:18(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

What the hell are you writing about!?

I think you've lost your perspective............................ LOL Laugh

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Mr. Ron  
#23 Posted : 04 August 2021 22:22:38(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Using a smaller scale for houses and shrubbery is fine because it is stationary, unlike trains that are the same scale whether they are in the foreground or in the distance. If you wanted to place a smaller scale train in the background, it would have to remain in the background in order to maintain the scale effect.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 05 August 2021 06:00:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello all,
I speak from a purely mathematical as well as a philosophical viewpoint.

We usually miniaturise an item in our head before we build it, then on paper or computer screen. The use of scale is paramount in any diagrammatical system. The everyday examples are plans for machines, houses, roads, and bridges. We have to remember that model trains are engineered miniatures.

The imperial system has natural scales expressed in parts of a foot.
There are 12 inches in a foot so 1 inch to the foot is 1/12 scale.
1/8 inch to the foot is 1/96 scale (common for civil engineering drawings).
1/4 inch to the foot is 1/48 scale which we call O gauge.
Other natural scales are 1/72, 1/64 (S scale), 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, and 1/8.

Now I am unsure about the metric system, but I surmise that the natural scales for plans closely align to the imperial.
So thus:
1/10, 1/100, 1/50, 1/75, 1/25 etc.

So where does 1:87 come in?
Rounding the halfway between 1/100 and 1/75 (1/87.5) gives us the answer. But I suspect that this had more to do with early 1900s English specifications for model-maker firms in Germany.
The makers had to use derived imperial scales.
The example is 1/4 inch to the foot which becomes loosely 7mm to the foot (O gauge). And half of that is 3.5mm to the foot (HO gauge).

In summary the practicalities of model making and operation, dictate that pure scale is holistically unobtainable. It is the decision of the model-maker as to how best to create product with judicious use of scale. And the model-maker is obliged in more than one aspect of his craft to employ malleable scale to best present the product to the consumer.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Online H0  
#25 Posted : 05 August 2021 10:31:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

My guess: prototype gauge is based on imperial units (fact), model gauge was defined in metrical units (16.5 mm). 1435 mm divided by 16.5 mm gives?

Märklin's "new longer length" coaches are reduced in length (1:93.5 or 1:97) and width. IMHO this looks odd when combined with full-scale models of pre-war coaches.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#26 Posted : 05 August 2021 12:47:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

My guess: prototype gauge is based on imperial units (fact), model gauge was defined in metrical units (16.5 mm). .....

Hi Tom,

Thanks, you raise an interesting point.
Gauge and scale are two separate criteria by definition.
The model railway world in England has long argued about from where the OO standards of gauge and scale came.
In other words they ask "who chose 16.5mm (5/8 of an inch)"?
And nobody knows the answer.

OO model trains in the UK use a 1/75 scale (as per Henry Greenly) but run on track that is (as you correctly calculate) at 1/87.
Pure 1/75 gives a track gauge of 19mm.
Or at 1/76 (currently accepted scale of OO) the track gauge is 18.83mm used by Scalefour adherants.
Early (pre 1970) Fleischmann HO models were built at 1/82 running on 1/87 track.
I believe there are other model railway systems where scale and gauge are not of equal ratio.

If UK manufacturers were to use a pure scale of 1/72 the track gauge would be 20mm (give or take part of a mm).

But as others have indicated above, it really is up to as as consumers of model train products to make the purchasing judgments on what is acceptable.
It is obvious that we in the model train world have inherited a mixed bag.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mr. Ron  
#27 Posted : 05 August 2021 21:33:00(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Scale has to be a compromise, especially in the smaller scales. If every feature of a 1:1 train were to adhere to a certain scale, it would not be able to produce the detail. For example, a handrail at 1:87 scale would be approximately .0014" diameter; that would be an impractical size to work with; imagine a handrail at Z scale. Another factor is strength. A part scaled down from 1:1 wouldn't be strong enough to function at that scale, but must be scale increased to maintain strength.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 06 August 2021 07:03:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
For me its an intersting topic, first we had as I've previously mentioned the SBB Ae 6/6 loco bought out by Märklin unter the cat. number 3050 3350, 3332, I was quite happy with this loco and never realized at the time that it wasn't to scale, it was made all out of metal and therefore had a good weight, than Märklin produced the same loco but to scale and I've decided after years to sell the earlier models., in the back of my mind, somewhere it was telling me get locos or carriages which are to scale., I have been an enthusiastic Märklin collector for years but than other manufacturers came along and I had an option to buy something which was to scale and from there on it all started, details, more details, finer details, details to scale and most of these attached details are usually lying on the layout or my wife picks them up from the floor.,

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline danmarklinman  
#29 Posted : 06 August 2021 07:43:28(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
For me its an intersting topic, first we had as I've previously mentioned the SBB Ae 6/6 loco bought out by Märklin unter the cat. number 3050 3350, 3332, I was quite happy with this loco and never realized at the time that it wasn't to scale, it was made all out of metal and therefore had a good weight, than Märklin produced the same loco but to scale and I've decided after years to sell the earlier models., in the back of my mind, somewhere it was telling me get locos or carriages which are to scale., I have been an enthusiastic Märklin collector for years but than other manufacturers came along and I had an option to buy something which was to scale and from there on it all started, details, more details, finer details, details to scale and most of these attached details are usually lying on the layout or my wife picks them up from the floor.,

John

Don’t sell your earlier ae6/6 models. You will regret doing this. I tried and did go down the scale route. And ended up being unhappy with selling the models that gave me the most fun. I’m now an avid user of 24cm coaches as although they don’t have amazing details like lsmodels and REE models they just don’t have the same appeal to me. And for me that what makes train playing fun. Appeal!!
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Ranjit  
#30 Posted : 06 August 2021 10:01:33(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All...

Here are two (2) interesting and an educational videos on Scales and Gauges. One i from Peco and the other from TSG Multimedia. Enjoy !

Model Railway Scales and Gauges

Model Railroading 101

Please note: These videos are for beginners.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline river6109  
#31 Posted : 06 August 2021 13:13:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Don’t sell your earlier ae6/6 models. You will regret doing this. I tried and did go down the scale route. And ended up being unhappy with selling the models that gave me the most fun. I’m now an avid user of 24cm coaches as although they don’t have amazing details like lsmodels and REE models they just don’t have the same appeal to me. And for me that what makes train playing fun. Appeal!!

I have no regrets selling these models, what I do regret however is selling my set with 3 diesel locos (37203), 1 x 3025, 1 x 3017 but I got a good pice for it which in todays market you can't achieve., years ago I sold the team loco C-class (3311) and recently I bought the same class again but it took me ages to convert it with a sound decoder.

John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109