Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline alehrfeld  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2021 16:12:22(UTC)
alehrfeld

United States   
Hello, I created my layout by combining two (2) Digital Starter Sets, therefore I have two (2) Mobile Stations and I have connected both of them to one (1) Digital Connector Box. I have one Mobile Station set to control the trains, and the other set to control the turnouts. I notice that occasionally a Mobile Station will re-boot itself -- it becomes unresponsive for a moment, then goes dark, and re-starts. Is there a known cause for this? Also, is there a difference between the two ports on the Digital Connector Box -- should I connect the Mobile Stations differently? Any guidance and advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by alehrfeld
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2021 22:22:08(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The occasional reboot is normal. I think it is switching protocols for me beteween mfx loco's. and MM, but not sure.
I would connect the one operating trains to port #1 next to the power cable.
It may not matter with two. I use a CS3 now, and my MS2 is the auxiliary controller to it. I updated my MS2 from my CS3 to version, 3.121 and there are new signals and icons I've not noticed beofre on it. Perhaps I just never looked.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline alehrfeld  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2021 01:21:51(UTC)
alehrfeld

United States   
Thank you very much!
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2021 11:10:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
The occasional reboot is normal.

No, this is not normal. The trackbox switches between protocols dozens of times every second.
Both ports are equal and it does not matter which port is used.
The master MS must be used to register locos, so it makes sense to use the slave for accessories.
Rumours say the reboot problem was eased with recent updates.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2021 13:20:45(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Tom, how does the trackbox know which is the master, if both ports are equal? So is what we are experiencing the trackbox switching protocols? The scren blinks, and "Marklin" appears as in start-up. Operation resumes with no problems. For NOT NORMAL, it seemed to be for at least two of us!
Now I haven't used mine since the latest update, and the trackbox is packed away in the #2800 start set box. I think I updated it after the jast CS update, but when I connected it to my CS the other day, a version 3.121 update had a red dot for the MS2, so I did it again. I may have had the MS2 connected to the trackbox in between those updates, and updated it.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2021 14:29:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Tom, how does the trackbox know which is the master, if both ports are equal?

The lowest serial number is always the master.

Offline alehrfeld  
#7 Posted : 29 July 2021 14:57:34(UTC)
alehrfeld

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

No, this is not normal. The trackbox switches between protocols dozens of times every second.
The master MS must be used to register locos, so it makes sense to use the slave for accessories.

Is it possible for me to perform an update on my MS's? And, with 3 locomotives and about 15 turnouts, am I over-taxing this set-up, and should I move to a CS? This is my first experience with digital, thank you for any and all suggestions.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 29 July 2021 15:31:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: alehrfeld Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Is it possible for me to perform an update on my MS's? And, with 3 locomotives and about 15 turnouts, am I over-taxing this set-up, and should I move to a CS? This is my first experience with digital, thank you for any and all suggestions.

You need to take (or send) one ms (it doesn't matter which one if you have more than one) to someone who has a cs2 or cs3 with the current release of firmware. If you don't have anyone close who has a cs then email a dealer such as AJCkids or RJFtrains to check if they can do it for you and get a quote.

Then when you get it back unplug any other ms's from the track box and plug the updated ms into the track box. The ms will ask to update the track box when you power up. Once that has finished power down again and plug any other ms into the second port on the track box. On power up there will be a message on one of them to do the update. Work through all ms devices you have until all are updated.