Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2021 04:03:16(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Covid boredom still has me in its thrall. So I want to digitize a couple of BR89's. There's a catch, though. I can't bear to turn a wrench on my 2 3000's from the year 1958 in Graz. So, I'll get a couple of new 30000's and put Loksound decoders in them. But...... what MOTORS do the latest generation 30000 loks have in them????? Can motors? DFCM motors? What? The spare parts diagrams make it look like they are can motors. It's not clear, though, so who knows? Did Märklin have a drop dead date by which they only started using DC can motors? You see my point: If there's a reasonable motor, I can remove the Delta or whatever Märklin decoder is in there and replace it with a Loksound mini.

Thanks!

Tom

PS: Did COVID drive any of y'all insane like it did me, with all the isolation?

Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2021 04:48:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Which shop did you buy them in Graz ?, do you remember ? you can alwasy keep all the old parts and convert the old 3000., one thing you have to be sure a speaker will fit into the loco (3000-30000), ESU has now the cube shaped speakers which will fit in almost any loos, the loksound decoder with an adapterplate will fit into the space of the previous reversing unit.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2021 04:58:39(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Which shop did you buy them in Graz ?, do you remember ? you can alwasy keep all the old parts and convert the old 3000., one thing you have to be sure a speaker will fit into the loco (3000-30000), ESU has now the cube shaped speakers which will fit in almost any loos, the loksound decoder with an adapterplate will fit into the space of the previous reversing unit.

John
Funny you should ask which shop. I've tried to remember for 62 years, unsuccessfully. What I DO remember is the Austrian salesman's name, Herr Pfusterschmidt. The pronunciation of his name greatly amused my American family, even my dad, who taught English literature at the University of Graz and was fluent in German. Man, I wish I could remember the name of that store. It was absolute Nirvana for an eight year old American boy. It was modern, unlike a lot of Graz, since it was only 15 years after the end of the war.

I've thought about retrofitting those old loks, but the "goat jump"reverse, etc, are too nostalgic! Thanks for mentioning the sugar cube speakers. I've used them in an old 3061 V200. Amazing.

Regards,
Tom

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2021 07:45:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I'm pretty sure the 30000 will have a DCM motor - Helmutt Kern's website says its a DCM.

http://www.bahn.hfkern.d...aerklin/Dt_Loks_D89.html
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2021 08:15:40(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I'm pretty sure the 30000 will have a DCM motor - Helmutt Kern's website says its a DCM.

http://www.bahn.hfkern.d...aerklin/Dt_Loks_D89.html

Thanks for the reply. I can now confirm that, since I looked at the spare parts list for the 30000 on märklin.de, and sure enough there's the picture- a DCM motor, Märklin part no. E180465. However.... I'd be just as happy playing with another entry level tank locomotive, the 36871, whose exploded drawings show a can motor, part no. E180465. So that's what I'll buy and set to work with whatever Loksound will fit, along with a sugar cube speaker. Right now, it's more fun for me to tinker on the bench than run my loks. I could buy a nice well appointed new engine with sound etc, but it wouldn't keep me as busy.

Why do y'all and I mean the whole group, think that M has never phased out the DCM? I don't see how it could be cost, since the second lok I mentioned is cheaper than the first.

Regards,
Tommy

Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2021 11:57:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: tommyheadleycox Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John
Funny you should ask which shop. I've tried to remember for 62 years, unsuccessfully. What I DO remember is the Austrian salesman's name, Herr Pfusterschmidt. The pronunciation of his name greatly amused my American family, even my dad, who taught English literature at the University of Graz and was fluent in German. Man, I wish I could remember the name of that store. It was absolute Nirvana for an eight year old American boy. It was modern, unlike a lot of Graz, since it was only 15 years after the end of the war.

I've thought about retrofitting those old loks, but the "goat jump"reverse, etc, are too nostalgic! Thanks for mentioning the sugar cube speakers. I've used them in an old 3061 V200. Amazing.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, it was my birth city and 1 particular shop was at the Hauptplatz, they had an upstairs section for model trains but even I can't rmember the store's name, I saw it the other day on an old video about Graz after or before the war., we used to live in Gartengasse which lead to the University.

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline 1borna  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2021 20:58:14(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
On the main square in Graz (Jakominiplatz) is the BREINEDER GIBISER store which had small railways on the first floor (they have been gone for a long time) also handle trains.