Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 03 May 2021 10:20:35(UTC)
luckas

Greetings,

I'm trying to set up an engine in a new installation of Rocrail. I've followed the guide carefully, but clearly have missed something, because I can't get any locomotive to move.

I believe I have successfully connected Rocrail to my CS3, as I can turn power on and offer via the Software. I've defined a new locomotive using its digital address, and I've selected the correct interface. I am using a tablet PC via wifi, which shouldn't matter, should it?

The loks simply won't move (or show any reaction to pressing function buttons).

What have I missed?

Thanks,

Paul
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 03 May 2021 15:21:57(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Have you identified the loco's decoder protocol? I believe that it is usually set at Default when adding a loco but it should be set to DCC or Marklin depending on what you have it set for in your controller.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 03 May 2021 16:08:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul

Here are a few points you need to check:
  • is your track plan healthy? There should not be ANY error in the bottom left report. This is made by selecting File/Router/Extended plan check

• When you start Rocrail, are the 7 indicators (bottom right) all green? They must be to start.

• When you set your loco in start (right click on the loco) does a destination shows?
    See this example Sans titre.png
    This is a portion of my plan where the loco "SVT 137" is presently in block 131 and when setting it to run, it decides to go to block 118

• have you created all the routes between blocks? To check go to Tables/Routes. You must have a whole bunch of routes. If you don't have any routes, you must generate them by going to File/Router/Routing

So what is your situation?
Cheers
Jean
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 03 May 2021 22:48:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul
I may have answered beneath your question
Is your loco correctly configured in Rocrail?
- 1 in the Tables/Locomotive table, select the loco you want to control.
- 2 Then go to Interface page
- 3 The interface ID field must be left blank if you have only ONE controller. Otherwise it should contain the controller's name (e.g.: you could have mbus and virtual)
- 4 The Address field should contain de address (of course and even for MFX locos
- 5 The protocol field should contain Motorola or NMRA DCC or MFX depending on your case
Avoid using ServerDefined because if your server is multi protocol (Motorola, DCC, MFX) then it will transmit the order in triplicate (Motorola, DCC, MFX) to the specified address which may create errors if you have a DCC loco with address 3 and an MFX loxo with the same address (just an example)

Is your loco properly installed on the rails?
- the arrow in the block should point to the NEXT block (not the PREVIOUS block). Otherwise right-click on the block where the loco is is select swap block enter side
- when Rocrail is in forward position (it shows >> on the loco controller) then the loco lights toward the NEXT block should be on. If not right-click on the block where the loco is is select swap logical direction
Cheers

Jean
Offline luckas  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2021 03:59:27(UTC)
luckas

Thank you Jean, your reply solved the problem (protocol was set to server).

In the mean time, I also discovered the "discover" command. If I had known this from the beginning it would have saved me some time :-)

Paul
Offline luckas  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2021 09:21:05(UTC)
luckas

Hello again Jean,

I've added all of my locomotives and tested running and functions. All seems to work well. I've also created a track plan. All my turnouts are working, although the track plan switch icons do not always reflect the correct position, even though they are addressed correctly and work as expected.

However, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to add my contact tracks. I've added the contact tracks to the diagram, but how are they configured in Rocrail? I've looked everywhere but it is not obvious to me how these are defined as they do not have conventional addresses when attached to a Link S88. The online documentation is generic and extremely complex. I just want to add a simple S88 contact track.

I'm still deciding if Rocrail is for me, so have not signed up to the forum.

Any help gratefully received,

Paul

Offline luckas  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2021 10:19:24(UTC)
luckas

I think I've just answered my own question; Bus 1, address 1 - 8.

Bus 1 being the missing specification.

Paul
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 04 May 2021 15:53:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: luckas Go to Quoted Post
All my turnouts are working, although the track plan switch icons do not always reflect the correct position, even though they are addressed correctly and work as expected.

Hi Paul
Sometimes, due to the angular position in the track plan, the position is shown incorrectly (Has to do with using right switch instead of a left switch). This is normal an all you have to do is invert the switch position Right-click on the switch, go to interface and tick the invert box. Verify that routes using this switch are setting it correctly (otherwise go to table/routes, select the route and then commands.
Here is one situation in my layout where I had to do just that (circled switch in red)
Sans titre.png

Here is the real track design
Sans titre.png
You will see the needed switches, select the one with problems, select modify and change its position (right, left, straight, thrown). Validate

Cheers
Jean
Offline luckas  
#9 Posted : 04 May 2021 16:13:07(UTC)
luckas

Thanks Jean,

Have you ever seen a situation where when you click on a turnout, it changes, but it also changes the icon in another turnout at the same time? It doesn't actually switch the other turnout, it just the indicator?

Paul
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 04 May 2021 18:51:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul

When this other switch changes it is usually because they share the same address and same protocol
Originally Posted by: luckas Go to Quoted Post
Have you ever seen a situation where when you click on a turnout, it changes, but it also changes the icon in another turnout at the same time? It doesn't actually switch the other turnout, it just the indicator?

Paul

When this other switch changes it is usually because they share the same address and same protocol in Rocrail--> just the display
[
OR 2 switches having really the same address and protocol --> just the layout
Cheers
Jean
Offline luckas  
#11 Posted : 05 May 2021 07:31:18(UTC)
luckas

Hi Jean,

I've checked the addresses and even tried deleting and re-adding the switches in question. For some reason there are several switches that change the icon of another switch - not the mechanism, just the icon. It's very strange.

Paul
Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2021 11:58:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Paul

When you edit the Rocrail track plan it is a bit tricky:
- multiple symbols may be placed (by mistake) at the same location
- be careful not to create symbols multiple times (one when working on the layout and another when working on the switch table
- there are no doubts that if 2 symbols (switches) on your track plan change simultaneously, they have the same address & protocol

You should run the extended healthiness check once more. There must be NO errors in the report (left bottom corner)
Run also the Extended Plan Clean
Cheers
Jean